Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRequest - Pack Adjustment StickyRequest - Pack Adjustment Sticky
Previous

Next
New Post
4/30/2015 8:24 AM

Can we please have a sticky on the proper ways to adjust and fit our packs?  The videos are definitely helpful but it would be nice to have everything in one place as a quick reference.  There is general information online, but the suspension systems in your gear are unique and have their own idiosyncrasies.

New Post
4/30/2015 8:28 AM

Your post is stickied.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/30/2015 11:03 AM

Please post any pointers or corrections. I will move this to the first post once it is complete.

Donning the Pack

scothill wrote:

When you put on your pack you want all the straps loose. Lean forward to get the pack riding above your hips in the small of your back. Then cinch the belt pulling evenly from both sides to get tightness set. Then adjust the shoulder straps. I like to leave them a bit loose (and if there are any straps that I don't adjust every time then it is those) as most of the slack is taken up by the lifters. Then adjust the delta straps and load lifters. If you don't loosen the deltas each time they will prevent your belt from wrapping correctly. If you don't want to adjust them every time then leave them a bit loose so you belt can conform. The shoulder straps and lifters should provide an uninterrupted line from the top of your pack across the front of your shoulders back to the pack. The shoulder straps should be loose on top. If you feel the straps on top of your shoulders or any pressure/weight in your back then the torso adjustment is to short. I expect to readjust belt tension after about 30 mins on the trail once everything is warm sweaty, but usually that is just pulling in on both sides at the same time again. Occasionally, it means undoing the belt to set it higher and then retighten. In those cases, most of the time nothing else needs adjusting. Although now that I have a Up Belt that isn't the case since the belt rides under the pack belt so there is not interface adjustment to get set right.

For the Umlindi you do the belt first and then the delta straps and only after that the shoulder harness since it is more of a lumbar pack.

edited for clarification on a couple of points.

The sternum strap

evanhill wrote:

...the sternum strap typically goes 1-2" below your collarbone.

It should be tight enough to take some of the pressure off of the buckles over your pectorals. If your arms start to feel numb, you need to tighten it more.

Harness

You want the "U" shaped portion of the strap even with, or slightly lower than, the nape of the neck. It should not be riding up your neck.

New Post
6/1/2015 7:50 AM

In general, when adding overflow, it is better to put things on top of the pack than hang them off of the bottom.

New Post
7/13/2015 3:12 PM

Small GP pocket shoulder mount?

What is the best way to attach the small gp pocket to the shoulder harness? It should be straighforward, but is there a "best" way? Through the triglides? sternum slider? Do you weave back through the pouch? I would prefer it well attached with minimal flop. Advice appreciated. Thanks.

New Post
7/14/2015 7:21 AM

I go down through the bottom rung of the sternum slider, weave back into the pouch for two slots, then back out and up through the top rung on the triglide.  The leftover tail is then back-fed into the bottom slot on the pouch.  No flop at all and very secure.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
8/12/2015 6:58 AM

What are names for the red and orange straps?

New Post
8/12/2015 8:19 AM

Red are the delta straps, and orange are just compression straps

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRequest - Pack Adjustment StickyRequest - Pack Adjustment Sticky