Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGMountain SerapeMountain Serape
Previous

Next
New Post
3/16/2017 3:02 PM

I LOVE my serape! It is one of the coolest, most revolutionary pieces of outdoor gear I have ever bought, hands down! I have noticed that it has gotten a little less warm over the years, but I've ridden it hard, and its still pretty dang warm. My wife also has one that has a lot less miles on it. I don't know about zipping a full-size and a medium together, but zipping two full-sized together produces a nice two-person sleeping bag in our case. I keep mine in a Kifaru XL ultralight pull-out. Its roomy enough that I don't feel like its over-compressing it. I pair it with an exped poncho, and a paclight goretex jacket that is a little too big. That way if its really stormin I can put the serape on, and gather it up inside the jacket. Or I can just wear it under the poncho, or whichever combo I need. (I'm anxiously awaiting an HPG Mountain Parka to replace the gore-tex! ;) I carry these three pretty much everytime I hike anywhere in southwest Wyo. I used to think about how uncomfortable an un-planned overnight would be, but now I don't even worry about it. Between the serape, poncho and some well-placed fire reflectors, I think I could ride out a LOT of weather in relative comfort.

I recently bought one of those orange thermal sleeping bag liners from sea-to-summit, I'm going to try that in conjunction with my serape for a summertime sleeping bag system this year. I've spent a lot of nights out in summer with just the serape, most of the time its fine, but sometimes its just a touch chilly, so hopefully this will give me a little more edge.

New Post
4/13/2017 8:33 PM

After less than a week of owning this, sleeping in this mixed with a 0 degree bag in below freezing weather, and letting my wife sleep in the hammock in the back yard, I had to order another. Not only do I love this thing but so does my wife! I knew it would be a great piece of kit, but my wife INSISTED on having her own. Excellent product guys! This will be a far better "top quilt" for my hammock than any other actual need based product I have researched based on my two day experienece alone. I was at a long range shooting match last weekend and the weather both nights dipped well below freezing. That being said, the serape mixed with my kelty 0 degree bag were perfect. Plus, I could wear the serape out of my hammock and cook breakfast with it while staying cozy. I feel that this is something that every outdoorsman should have!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGMountain SerapeMountain Serape