Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi / Tara / RKB Jungle Load-OutUmlindi / Tara / RKB Jungle Load-Out
Previous

Next
New Post
7/31/2016 1:49 PM

CollinAshmore wrote:
Ken, do you have any experience with the Tarapocket? I'm wondering how it ocmpares to the actual Tara as a compression panel / extra pocket on the Umlindi. Does the back padding on the Tara make it less than ideal I guess is my question?

Thank you

I do have a Tarapocket...it works well as a compression panel....just like the Palspocket.  However, for some of my own applications I think I actually like the Tarahumara pack even better as a compression panel.  The back padding on the Tara pack seems to add a bit more rigidity to compress contents.  Most of the time, a standard Palspocket or Tarapocket does just fine as a compression panel...both of which aren't padded in any way...and I get some weight savings.  When I have bulkier things in my main pack, or when I am sandwiching hardware between the main pack and the pocket, I seem to like the padded nature of the Tarahumara pack as my compression panel.  This also gives me an additional slot pocket on the back of the Tara pack....a feature I find quite useful for things like a poncho, folded tarp, maps, or even one of my shovel blades.

One thing to add here: If a Palspocket or Tarapocket also has a Tarainsert added inside it....this little addition adds a lot more rigidity to compress a load.  So...there is yet another way of doing it.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/31/2016 3:23 PM

Thanks. I find myself leaning back toward the Lindi for day to day stuff just because the Ute requires a lot of adjusting. Belt, harness, deltas, load lifters ect. Once my load gets so big or heavy then all that comes into its own, but for my average day out the ute is kind of overkill and I prefer the lumbar pack feel of the Lindi. Any idea how heavy your load is?

New Post
7/31/2016 9:13 PM

holy cow that is a very well thought out set up. Would love to see pics of your jungle adventure if you can share them.

New Post
8/1/2016 5:47 AM

alpendrms wrote:
CollinAshmore wrote:
Ken, do you have any experience with the Tarapocket? I'm wondering how it ocmpares to the actual Tara as a compression panel / extra pocket on the Umlindi. Does the back padding on the Tara make it less than ideal I guess is my question?

Thank you

I do have a Tarapocket...it works well as a compression panel....just like the Palspocket.  However, for some of my own applications I think I actually like the Tarahumara pack even better as a compression panel.  The back padding on the Tara pack seems to add a bit more rigidity to compress contents.  Most of the time, a standard Palspocket or Tarapocket does just fine as a compression panel...both of which aren't padded in any way...and I get some weight savings.  When I have bulkier things in my main pack, or when I am sandwiching hardware between the main pack and the pocket, I seem to like the padded nature of the Tarahumara pack as my compression panel.  This also gives me an additional slot pocket on the back of the Tara pack....a feature I find quite useful for things like a poncho, folded tarp, maps, or even one of my shovel blades.

One thing to add here: If a Palspocket or Tarapocket also has a Tarainsert added inside it....this little addition adds a lot more rigidity to compress a load.  So...there is yet another way of doing it.

Awesome.  Thank you so much for the detailed information Ken.  I was really curious as I'd like to add a back pocket to my Umlindi, and I already have a Tara (that I don't use much), so I was wondering if the padding interfered.  But I'm going to try it now and maybe it will save me $55 that I can put toward some of the other HPG stuff I want.

Thank you again!

New Post
8/2/2016 8:33 PM

That is a really nice setup. I get a ton of ideas from your kits. Thanks for the time you put into the posts!

What is the rain cover that you are using? I have an Eberlestock (not reversible) that I use for my UTE but I am looking for a smaller one for mine and my son's Umlindis in blaze orange to keep us from being mistaken for some critter this hunting season. 

New Post
8/3/2016 8:47 PM

What radio will you be carrying, and how will you have it set up?
I don't have an Umlindi yet but I do have aTara and was trying to figure out if my Yaesu FT-817 and Z817 tuner could fit in the Umlindi in a pouch attached to the top portion of an insert, much like the old radio pouch in an Alice.

I really like your set up, thanks

New Post
9/13/2016 2:07 PM

HBG wrote:
What radio will you be carrying, and how will you have it set up?
I don't have an Umlindi yet but I do have aTara and was trying to figure out if my Yaesu FT-817 and Z817 tuner could fit in the Umlindi in a pouch attached to the top portion of an insert, much like the old radio pouch in an Alice.

I really like your set up, thanks

We carried US Embassy Motorolas (AKA "Bricks").  These were set up for LOS (Line Of Sight) comms, with a decent range that could handle a bit of terrain masking.  That said, we are going to be trying out a new device called the Beartooth, which pairs with smartphones and iPhones for up to 10 mile range, text, and PTT comms.  They are said to work when there is no cell coverage.  If they work as advertised, this will streamline our comms package in a big way.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/13/2016 8:20 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I checked out the Beartooth device, seems like a really handy device. I wonder if you could just be signed into a private group or everything is public? I did see it has encryption capabilitiy. 

New Post
9/13/2016 8:26 PM

HBG wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I checked out the Beartooth device, seems like a really handy device. I wonder if you could just be signed into a private group or everything is public? I did see it has encryption capabilitiy.

From what I understand, it is private. Only those with the device that are part of your "group" can send/receive. I am envisioning functionality to be something akin to WhatsApp. I won't know for sure until we buy some for the organization I am a member of and then test them. Once I know more on it, I'll certainly post more about it. Until then, fingers crossed that the Beartooth fills a gap and streamlines our comms capabilities!

New Post
9/15/2016 3:29 PM

Ccombs wrote:

Thanks. I find myself leaning back toward the Lindi for day to day stuff just because the Ute requires a lot of adjusting. Belt, harness, deltas, load lifters ect. Once my load gets so big or heavy then all that comes into its own, but for my average day out the ute is kind of overkill and I prefer the lumbar pack feel of the Lindi. Any idea how heavy your load is?

Ccombs....sorry I took so long to respond....just happened upon your post.  Without actually having weighed it for the jungle trip, I'd say it was in the 30-35 lb. range, including water.

New Post
9/15/2016 3:31 PM

CollinAshmore wrote:
alpendrms wrote:
CollinAshmore wrote:

Thank you

Awesome.  Thank you so much for the detailed information Ken.  I was really curious as I'd like to add a back pocket to my Umlindi, and I already have a Tara (that I don't use much), so I was wondering if the padding interfered.  But I'm going to try it now and maybe it will save me $55 that I can put toward some of the other HPG stuff I want.

Thank you again!

Collin...glad to help!  Always happy to be part of information sharing with a fellow Brother In Arms....one in the Great White North!

New Post
9/15/2016 3:32 PM

crewhead05 wrote:
holy cow that is a very well thought out set up. Would love to see pics of your jungle adventure if you can share them.

Thanks!  I'm planning to get some photos up from Peru and Paraguay this weekend, along with ones from Africa, as well.

New Post
9/15/2016 3:35 PM

para505 wrote:

That is a really nice setup. I get a ton of ideas from your kits. Thanks for the time you put into the posts!

What is the rain cover that you are using? I have an Eberlestock (not reversible) that I use for my UTE but I am looking for a smaller one for mine and my son's Umlindis in blaze orange to keep us from being mistaken for some critter this hunting season. 

Thanks much!  The rain cover I have for this load-out is from a company that was called Bad Moon Rizing.  I think they went under.  It's a good pack cover, but I waited an awful long time to get it from them.  I wasn't too pleased with their customer service.  You can actually get the Eberlestock ones in a reversible model....one side "Unicam"  and the other blaze orange.  We get them in the medium size for the Contingency Go-Bags we built for the USDOJ clients I work for.

New Post
10/6/2016 9:15 AM

Thanks for the great writeup that I'll be referring to later. I need to checkout those bear tooth comm items. I live and work in an area where we need to have these kind of items constantly ready in a go bag for political or other disasters.

New Post
10/15/2016 8:37 AM

expatjoe wrote:
Thanks for the great writeup that I'll be referring to later. I need to checkout those bear tooth comm items. I live and work in an area where we need to have these kind of items constantly ready in a go bag for political or other disasters.

You bet!  Glad to help.  Stay safe out there.

New Post
10/18/2016 10:44 PM

I'm very curious to hear some feedback on the Patagonia jungle uniforms. Have you used them much? Are they durable? How do you like the pockets and knee pads?

New Post
10/23/2016 6:43 AM

agb762 wrote:
I'm very curious to hear some feedback on the Patagonia jungle uniforms. Have you used them much? Are they durable? How do you like the pockets and knee pads?

I've got two complete sets of the Patagonia Jungle Uniform, one in Multicam and one in Alpha Green.  I have one more pair of the pants in Alpha Green.  I modified one pair of the green pants and the pair of camo pants by cutting circular holes at the appropriate spots in the knee pad slots and whipstitched in round rubber o-rings there, in order to attach the flexible outer shell portion of the knee pads.  I did that because I thought it was kind of pointless to run a hard shell knee pad inside of the slots.  The Patagonia knee pads are comprised of a soft padded inner portion that has snaps at four corners, with a hard shell that attaches to them.  Once I created the holes in the knee pad slots, I was then able to slide the padded soft part into the slot and position the snaps through the holes and then snap the hard shells to the outside.  For the pants that I didn't modify, I wear those often in hot weather as regular pants and for travel.

As for durability, I've worn the uniforms in jungle environments several times now...three times in Peru and once in Colombia.  Even though they are thin (which helps them dry really fast), they have actually been pretty durable.  I've slid over rocky areas on my butt, traversed thick jungle vegetation, and put them through a good bit of rough movement. I expected to have ended up with some scrapes and other holes in them by now, but they have remained intact.  They are tougher than they look.

I do like the pants pockets well enough, especially the large cargo pockets.  They have an interior mesh pocket in them that is meant to hold magazines and similar items in place, and they also have a snap along the back edge of the pocket on the outside that can be kept in place, or unsnapped to allow for bulky items to be carried in them.  The standard front and rear pockets are just that...standard.  That said, I haven't had anything fall out of any of the pockets, so they do their job.  I do wish that the pants pockets were configured more like the ones on Crye pants, with ones on the front of the thigh, but otherwise they are fine.  The cargo pockets close with slotted type buttons, which I like better than Velcro.  More secure and quieter.  The shirt pockets also seem good to go in my book.  The two chest pockets are deep enough.  I can still access things in them even when wearing my Kit Bag on my chest.  The left chest pocket also has an additional vertical zippered pocket.  I haven't used this one that much, but it is a decent pocket for securing thin items like an ID or similar.  The arm pockets are angled and have enough room for things one wants to carry up high while wearing kit.  These are also fitted with slotted buttons.  I would often carry a can of Copenhagen there, and also things like a handkerchief or a small folded map.  

Among the other things I like about the Patagonia Jungle Uniform are the integrated mesh gaiter at the bottoms of the pants, the adjustable Velcro pant bottoms, and a mesh screen behind the fly.  The pants close at the top of the fly with a Velcro strip rather than a buttonThese help keep bugs and such from gaining access.  The shirt also has a big vent along the back, and the upper yoke of the shirt is lined with a soft, breathable, flannel-like fabric, that feels good against the skin and wicks moisture away.  One thing I don't care for with the pants is the button fly, which I wish was a zipper instead.  In fact, I wish it were a double-opening zipper....able to open from the top or the bottom.  That would be quicker and much easier than the buttons, but that isn't a mission-stopper for me.  The other thing I don't quite like is the placement of the knee pad slots.  When walking, this portion of the pants hangs too low on the legs.  But, when kneeling or taking high steps, the knee pad portion of the pants slides up right into the proper spot to protect one's knees.  So, they do the job fine, but they just don't ride perfectly when walking.  Once again, not a mission-stopper, but just something I've noticed.  Perhaps if I were only using soft knee pads in the slots or used strap on knee pads like the Arcteryx ones, I wouldn't have any issue.  I don't mind the Patagonia knee pads and they do the job, but I think the ones from Crye or the Arcteryx ones are better.  Some guys have written on other forums and reviews that the Patagonia knee pads snag on things and pop loose, but I haven't had that happen to me at all....and I definitely haven't been treating the pants kindly.  I've been as rough as I've needed to be with them and they've held up.

Hope that helps!

Ken

New Post
10/25/2016 3:05 PM

Ken, thank you for the full length review! It's much appreciated and definitely gives me a better idea of the product. I saw recently that outdoor research is offering a similar uniform. Both are relatively pricey and look pretty similar. Both are great companies in my experience. I'm also curious if any other members here have experience with the outdoor research version. Anyway, thanks for another info loaded thread!

New Post
3/20/2017 11:31 AM

I really like your sleep system setup.  Any chance you can elaborate on the coyote compression panel?

New Post
3/20/2017 8:52 PM

I made it out of Hypalon.  Here is a link to the post I made in the General section.  There are two different ines I fabb'ed up: http://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid...

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi / Tara / RKB Jungle Load-OutUmlindi / Tara / RKB Jungle Load-Out