Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGKit Bag for Fly FishingKit Bag for Fly Fishing
Previous

Next
New Post
2/16/2017 4:05 PM

Anyone using a Kit Bag fro Fly Fishing? if so, what model would you recommend, the Original or Heavy Recon? Just kicking the idea around.

New Post
2/20/2017 12:15 PM

Used my original with a couple fly boxes and the basics in it, and more stuff in my Tara. Worked well. I have a heavy recon I thought about using this year because it would be easy to put nippers on a retractable line, a patch for drying flies, and foreceps on the front.

New Post
2/20/2017 12:51 PM

I use mine for just about everything. It was handy on a canoe trip into Canada where I kept things I need easy a access too while paddling. I use it for fly fishing, fishing from the waters edge, etc. You can add para cord to the front to the sides on flap to give yourself a solid platform to work with. 

New Post
2/20/2017 12:53 PM

admin pouch docks to my recon and detaches for the hike in/out, docks as a top pocket to my Ute/Lindi, or a butt pack on my PB

New Post
2/20/2017 5:35 PM

I do the same thing. Admin pouch on front of my recon kitbag and that holds my flys and extra line. Great way to carry my fishing supplies onto the river. 

New Post
3/28/2017 6:06 PM

I've been using the original for fishing. Keeps everything nice and high and out of the water. Looking at options for a small backpack to add a little counter balance and capacity.

New Post
3/29/2017 9:53 AM

Pudwak wrote:
I've been using the original for fishing. Keeps everything nice and high and out of the water. Looking at options for a small backpack to add a little counter balance and capacity.

Not sure how much you're wanting to spend, but the Connor or the Tara both work well for this. Connor on my back and kit bag on my chest is my current fly fishing setup, as long as it's a situation where I'm not likely to get wet above my waist.

New Post
3/29/2017 4:54 PM

zacht wrote:
Pudwak wrote:

Not sure how much you're wanting to spend, but the Connor or the Tara both work well for this. Connor on my back and kit bag on my chest is my current fly fishing setup, as long as it's a situation where I'm not likely to get wet above my waist.

I'm thinking a pair of shoes and socks for the hike out and 4ish "Sodas" (last trip, the hike out ended up close to two hours, in waders and boots :/ ). Trying not to spend a bunch of money, and more specifically not spend a bunch of money on a fishing vest that would only be used for fishing (That is why I'd rather add to the kit bag). The tara is what I've been looking at so far , but I'm a little worried it won't get used again after buying it.  What about the recon harness and the pals pocket? Think they would play nice together? I guess at the end of the day it's about a wash with the tara anyway. Just thinking maybe I would have the option of using a smaller pouch and keeping it high too. 

New Post
3/29/2017 5:04 PM

No trout fishing pics, but here are a few from a walleye trip and some bass fishing in Erie PA.

[URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Pudwak/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1502_zpsn2eprnai.jpg.html]
[/URL]

[URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Pudwak/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1459_zpsicpb8r81.jpg.html]
[/URL]

New Post
3/30/2017 11:00 AM

The Tara and Kit Bag are all I would need for a day fishing, but If I knew I was going to be packing waders and boots for two hours I would be looking at the Umlindi. Probably more than you are looking to spend, but my ideal and the system I have working now is basics in the Kitbag and Tara. Then I attach the Tara to the Umlindi or Ute depending on how much room I need. In your case I would go with the Umlindi and stash it while I fished with the Tara and kitbag.

New Post
3/30/2017 4:15 PM

I use an original for fly fishing. It's the bees knees.

New Post
3/30/2017 4:20 PM

I picked up a waxed canvas original for fishing (fly and otherwise), but sadly haven't gotten to use it yet.... soon...

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGKit Bag for Fly FishingKit Bag for Fly Fishing