Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGM2016 Buttpack: A Versatility & Capacity Multiplier.M2016 Buttpack: A Versatility & Capacity Multiplier.
Previous

Next
New Post
12/7/2016 3:31 AM

Digger wrote:
Thanks Ken, for the benefit of your experience and systematic demonstration of this kit. I've been waiting for the brothers to release something like this for quite a while. I've actually been using a Tyr Tactical Jungle Butt Pack, as I had it kicking around but it has proven altogether too cumbersome for my intended use. I've got a fair bit of kit now from HPG and all of it has ticked just and only the right boxes.

Not sure with what I'd ever do with the diagonal pals cut panel for though. I might find use for it as I spend more time with the pack. The diagonal cut makes a whole load of sense at any rate.

I must agree, Digger.  I have to say I haven't really found much use for the diagonal cuts either. I know why they're there, but for most all the applications I have in mind for the M2016, that part of the buttpack will remain slick for me.  

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
12/13/2016 12:42 AM

Just got some time today to tinker with my M2016, I haven't settled on how exactly I want to load it out. That said, it doesn't disappoint and can fit more than it would seem in pictures. Here is an idea of what you can fit in it:

Top Compression Straps: HPG Windcheater
Main Compartment: Snozzle Pumpbag, Exped Winterlite, SAM Splint (NB: There is still a fair amount of room in the main compartment, I might even be able to fit a second Winterlite into it, but it'd be tight )
Compression Panel: 8 1/2' x 7' Multicam Tarp 
Lower Compression Straps: Reflective Blanket wrapped around a SOL Escape Bivy 

Here are some additional pictures for folks who dictate gear choices with beef summer sausage and the like.

You can easily fit 4 Kielbasa in there, 6 in a pinch I'm sure.

New Post
12/13/2016 1:11 PM

Has anyone received the foliage/manatee color config yet? If so would you mind taking a pic and throwing it on here please? I'm curious to see how it looks. Thanks!

New Post
12/16/2016 5:41 PM

manatee/foliage outfitted w/extra stuff butt you get the idea

New Post
12/16/2016 5:43 PM

Here's both versions (w/extra stuff...)

New Post
12/16/2016 5:59 PM

What's the extra stuff you used?

New Post
12/16/2016 6:42 PM

Set up for "murse/manbag" carry....the extra stuff is:

Vanquest ppm slim organizer on one side.
MSM/tac tailor bottle corset on the other side.
MSM velcro swatch pocket thing on the front.
maxped shoulder pad
ATS slimline upright gp pouch on the bottom (they're collapsed in the pics)
The ATS pouch is a perfect fit for the bottom pals. The ranger one is great match to the ranger/khaki. There was no match for the manatee/foliage so had to go w/a black one. Both the ATS pouch and MSM bottle corset can each hold 2x 30rnd ar mags and/or 32oz water bottle.

With all the junk I have inside and w/a full 21 oz hydro flask in the bottle corset and the extra pockets full (small tripod in the ATS, organizer stuffed) it can get pretty heavy but works well and the butt packs are extremely well made as you'd expect.

New Post
12/18/2016 3:03 PM

I guess an introduction is warranted for my first post, not including the classifieds, and a few responses on these forums. I'm Jared, USMC veteran 2000-2004. I really like Hill People Gear bags, which I mostly use for short hikes with my family, and riding around the trails and streets of AZ on a bicycle. HPG bags are by far the best bags I've used for cycling, hiking and everyday stuff.
The HPG M2016 Buttpack is indeed a versatility and capacity multiplier. I filled up my Umlindi with various things, docked in my pals packet, docked the buttpack to the top, which gave me the extra height to then dock my connor pocket to the whole thing. For now this is just a proof of concept, I have not tried hiking like this and I would never take this much on my bicycle, but walking around my house with it, the HPG system stays in place and feels good. I was able to add load lifters to the top of the buttpack and everything held together perfectly...for walking around the house.

I have been using the buttpack for bicycle rides, but the recon belt is a bit too much for my liking to use for my rides, so, using the buttpack's shoulder strap some buckles I had and some velcro, I made a more bicycle friendly belt for the buttpack. It is awesome, and the shoulder strap can still be used as intended. I will say I do not carry too much while riding, spare tubes, multitool, bandana, maybe a snack.

I've been reading on these forums for the past couple of years and have learned a lot from everyone. So thanks for posting. Semper Fi.

New Post
12/25/2016 7:39 PM

For those of you using this in conjunction with other packs, namely the Ute and Umlindi, how does it work with a pack that is less than full? I see this as being a handy way to move equipment from pack to pack, and I'm just curious if it will fit securely on a bag that is less than full and if not maybe work as a pullout?

New Post
12/25/2016 10:04 PM

Ccombs wrote:
For those of you using this in conjunction with other packs, namely the Ute and Umlindi, how does it work with a pack that is less than full? I see this as being a handy way to move equipment from pack to pack, and I'm just curious if it will fit securely on a bag that is less than full and if not maybe work as a pullout?

I dont have a lot of miles with mine but it seems with the way it attaches it works fine with a half full Ute. I dont keep the M2016 full like the above pictues, mine is probably 1/3 or so full. I use it as a sort of secondary kit bag so I can drop my main bag and grab the belt and get off trail. I think that if the main pack wasn't full and the M2016 was I'd transfer some gear into the main pack. 

When I first received the M2016 I stuffed it full just to see and it did fit inside the top of the Ute but it was more like a tight fitting lid more than a simple pull out. It would for sure work though.

New Post
1/2/2017 10:58 AM

Nice pics! The wife quite kindly arranged for me to receive this and the tool roll for christmas! Sadly my recon belt is not at my current location. You can imagine my eagerness to get it and try them together (yes, I'm still kind of considering buying another because I'm that impatient - plus I could keep one rigged for 9 and the other for 45!!). In the interim, I like being able to hot swap some essentials between it and the RKB - which is currently with me. I find that with the shoulder strap in a sling pack configuration and most of the compression straps temporarily removed, it can be used while running errands, etc., without looking too dorky. In that respect, it served admirably and very RKB-esque while moving some mowers etc as part of some late season winter preps: sitting down with the M2016 slung forward across the chest with water bottle, work gloves, lipo booster pack, tool roll, etc...

New Post
1/11/2017 8:30 AM

alpendrms wrote:
Digger wrote:
Thanks Ken, for the benefit of your experience and systematic demonstration of this kit. I've been waiting for the brothers to release something like this for quite a while. I've actually been using a Tyr Tactical Jungle Butt Pack, as I had it kicking around but it has proven altogether too cumbersome for my intended use. I've got a fair bit of kit now from HPG and all of it has ticked just and only the right boxes.

Not sure with what I'd ever do with the diagonal pals cut panel for though. I might find use for it as I spend more time with the pack. The diagonal cut makes a whole load of sense at any rate.

I must agree, Digger.  I have to say I haven't really found much use for the diagonal cuts either. I know why they're there, but for most all the applications I have in mind for the M2016, that part of the buttpack will remain slick for me.  

Alp & Dig - once accounting gives me permission to resume gear acquisition, I'm thinking of sticking a few 10 speeds on it - leaning towards a rifle mag pouch either single 308 (BFG says 3x4 MOLLE) or single M4 (BFG says 3x2).  Single M4 will probably be a better fit, but single 308 would be "more better".

For the folks that don't have a military background, these dimensions seem to be listed as YxX, which I can tell you is confusing for people with math &/or programming backgrounds. Well, it is for me at least.

At any rate, if I remember my calculus, I think a single M4 mag pouch should fit nicely, with a single pistol mag pouch on the top right short span. I suspect if one were desperate to add more molle pouches to the M2016's back, then an ultralight dump pouch could probably be made to fit on the bottom left channels, although 1 corner of it would probably flop around a bit. But I suspect the dump pouch would work very well on the molle underneath the bag, provided it didn't get in the way of anything else. For the bottom, it'd be really nice to get a small and simple item like a smaller version of that dark angel shingle that Alp and GK were recently discussing - dark angel shingle thread.

Something small and simple offered in a single channel and double wide channel format that would have a closure at each end - velcro I guess? maybe a button?? - to hold a (sheathed or folding) knife or a can underneath a kit bag or m2016 and still allow a low profile molle attachment beneath it could be really nice.

If anyone knows of something like that already available in the wild I'd be obliged to learn of it, otherwise maybe if I ever get a down time from work long enough to do more than write a dang forum post, I'll see if I can get some fabric and ghetto rig something with my sewing machine.

I'm sure some company out there has gotta be offering something like this already, I just don't know of it.  I'm also not eager to bog down my m2016 with a ton of bloat, but I do like have a couple collapsible pockets available..

As it stands right now, I'm still using my m2016 mostly in an casual / semi-urban setting, so those mag pockets would probably be relegated to cell phone and streamlight/spyderco duty.  Makes me feel like a cheater every time I sling on some HPG.....and then walk past the path out to the woods and get in the car to run errands or go to a meeting....time to start planning a camping trip.

Hope all you folks in the "greater-Pennsyltucky metropolitan area"  have stayed safe this morning in this nasty ice. NOAA predicted it would have melted off by 9 or so but I think it just now finally got above freezing.  Take good care all.

New Post
1/13/2017 2:15 PM

mc - For your magazine pouch option, you might consider the HSGI Taco, which will fit any one of the following: 5.56 or 7.62 mags, various GPS units or inReach Explorer, smaller hand-held radios, and larger mobile phones.  Not as low-profile as the BFG 10 Speed, but the Taco will readily accept either caliber for whichever blaster you might be carrying.

I did a couple small mods to my M2016.  I realized that I would very rarely use the bottom G-hook straps on mine, even when I use the pack in top lid mode.  So, I installed a pair of Grimlocks to the innermost (butt aspect) pair of bottom tabs, and then threaded a length of paracord through all four bottom tabs along with a cordlock, just like on the bottom of a Tarahumara.  It seems a bit more svelte to me this way, for my applications.  The Grimlocks snap right into the corresponding tabs on a Ute, Umlindi, or external compression pocket in pack lid mode, and the paracord is just the right length to secure a small item like a jacket or similar.  I stowed the removed straps and ITW hardware in the internal zippered compartment in case I decide I want to change it back, which I can do easily.  Here are a couple photos:

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/13/2017 3:16 PM

alpendrms,

That's a slick change, I may have to borrow that idea as well. That seems like it would also work quite well on the top tabs for a quick "clean" release option from a bigger pack. I don't know if it's my big fingers or just that the fabric is still pretty stiff from being new, but it takes me a few minutes to get the female end of the side release buckles moved from one pack to the next. Grimlocks seem like a quicker option, although with the drawback being that you lose the ability to compress the butt pack down onto the top of the larger pack. Still, I like the idea.

New Post
1/13/2017 3:44 PM

zacht wrote:

alpendrms,

That's a slick change, I may have to borrow that idea as well. That seems like it would also work quite well on the top tabs for a quick "clean" release option from a bigger pack. I don't know if it's my big fingers or just that the fabric is still pretty stiff from being new, but it takes me a few minutes to get the female end of the side release buckles moved from one pack to the next. Grimlocks seem like a quicker option, although with the drawback being that you lose the ability to compress the butt pack down onto the top of the larger pack. Still, I like the idea.

Actually, you can still get a pretty good amount of compression using the remaining straps on the M2016.  Also, if the M2016 were on top of a Ute or Umlindi, the original straps on the host pack could still be put into the mix for compression.

EDIT:  Also, I often use the straps on the sides of the M2016 when it is in pack lid mode, and I hook the G-hooks into the top set of tabs that correspond with the top horizontal compression straps on a Ute or Umlindi.  That provides quite a bit of compression.  Take a look at the 6th picture in the string of photos from this post (same thread), dated 10/17/2016 8:27 PM.

New Post
3/11/2017 10:29 AM

Any idea on when the Butt Pack will be restocked?

New Post
3/29/2017 11:29 AM

PSA: Buttpacks are back in stock y'all. Get 'em while they're hot!

New Post
4/5/2017 8:47 PM

I cut a slit across bottom of one of the sides panels of 6/12 on mine to make a pass through pocked.  It works nice for a longer knife.

New Post
6/19/2017 11:06 AM

So why is the PALS at an angle? Better retrieval of items while wearing it? Maybe I missed it in another post. I would love to thread the large GP pocket to it.

New Post
6/19/2017 11:28 AM

jamsub wrote:
So why is the PALS at an angle? Better retrieval of items while wearing it? Maybe I missed it in another post. I would love to thread the large GP pocket to it.

They built it that way for support hand access to a spare mag pouch.  However, it is set up for a right-handed person with a left-handed support hand grab.  I attached a First Spear Roo Panel to mine and basically "forced" the angled PALS to comply with my desires, so that the Roo Panel would ride straight up & down on it, as that I do not ever plan to run a mag pouch at that spot.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGM2016 Buttpack: A Versatility & Capacity Multiplier.M2016 Buttpack: A Versatility & Capacity Multiplier.