Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindiUmlindi
Previous

Next
New Post
1/7/2017 4:38 PM

All good. That's what I needed to know, Aston or Tara insert and pals pocket or not. I really see myself running without the pals pocket but instead using the tara insert to keep the outside of the bag fairly clean looking.

New Post
1/7/2017 4:47 PM

I actually use either a Tara or Astoninsert in my Umlindi fairly often as a pull-out in the main pack bag for organization, along with either a Pals or Tarapocket on the outside.

If I am using a Tarapocket or actual Tarahumara docked to the outside of the Umlindi, I then rig a Tarainsert with two HPG or First Spear GP pockets, set up as an IFAK/Trauma kit and Survival Kit.  That rides in the external pocket for quick access.  If I am running a Palspocket on the outside, I'll use HPG Tool Rolls in the Palspocket and then run an Astoninsert in the main pack bag, outfitted with pouches containing other mission-specific items, along with bulky items for overnight use.  Sometimes, I do find the need to use both during my travels, particularly on overseas trips.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/7/2017 6:22 PM

You fellows as well as this entire thread have been a great help today. Umlindi w/ a PB and tara insert (maybe a pals pocket too) will be my next pack. Thank you much.

New Post
1/7/2017 6:33 PM

Alp - I like your style. I might have to steal your set up and see how it runs. I really like the idea of setting a Tara/pocket up as a joint FAK/Survival kit and mounting that to a bag, and it would be fairly easy for me to do that with my PALS pockets (otherwise I'd have to buy another Tara and I just can't do that right now).

Trapperjay - glad I could help in any way. I really don't think you'll regret whatever you purchase.

- J

New Post
1/7/2017 7:28 PM

The longer I'm into this stuff, the more I appreciate the info here. Honestly, you have to take the plunge and start figuring out what works for you. But that's the when a site like this really starts to stand out. Concepts like equipage and dialing in gear based on objectives is really useful.

New Post
1/9/2017 3:49 PM

Just a word on the pocket harness: I used it attached to my umlindi today. I was hitting up the range, so it had most of my gear in there (minus the rifle), and a few other things. Total weight was 20.5lbs, no framesheet. The pocket harness carried it quite comfortably, but when putting it on the shoulder straps would get all tangled up something fierce and have to be untangled and rearranged. Just an annoyance. I like how it carries and I like that it is a cleaner look. It's about 100 yards from where I parked to where I shot, uphill. So I didn't exactly hike 2-3 miles in, shoot, and hike out... but proof of concept, I think it did darn fine.

- John

New Post
1/9/2017 7:55 PM

John, to make sure I understand you...you're saying that you used rhe stripped down version, more of an EDC type bag setup w/out framesheet and all was well?

New Post
1/10/2017 8:27 AM

+1 on the considerable pros + manageable cons of the pocket harness. Alp and I and probably several others have posted about how to mitigate the clip-slip tendency. That and the twisting that GoKartz mentions are the only two downsides I've experienced. I'd guess that the lack of padding could be a nuisance with heavier loads. But I use my pocket harness pretty much exclusively on my tara and my attache -- both have elastic cordage pre-attached to help lock the clips in place, so it's an easy swap. PS Attache takes a (glock compatible) keltec sub2k in the slot pocket like a dream. Add a g19 in a kct kydex mounted to the front pocket and you've got a very easy to carry, grab and go 9mm platform.

FWIW, I haven't used the stock harness on my tara in probably a year.

New Post
1/10/2017 7:04 PM

Hi Trapper - correct, I took out the frame sheet and replaced the regular harness with the pocket harness. I did attach a PALS pocket (easy access for some items - like my computer, books, papers, pens, and charging stuff), and for the past few days I've had my serape strapped on top.

[URL=http://s257.photobucket.com/user/jkartzinel/media/IMG_0398.JPG.jpeg.html]
[/URL]

[URL=http://s257.photobucket.com/user/jkartzinel/media/IMG_0397.JPG.jpeg.html]
[/URL]

When the pack is carried with both straps on the pocket harness, it is quite comfortable. When you try just one strap, the fabric bunches up into a single point and it gets quite narrow and not the most comfy. (Solution: carry it with both straps... But sometimes just slinging up on one shoulder is just convenient moving from vehicle to indoors.) Lacking a frame sheet, the pack just sort of collapses when you set it down, but this really doesn't make it carry less well. I'm going to finish the week out with the pocket harness, and then see how switching back goes, but this experiment has really given me a new respect for the every-day capabilities of the Umlindi.

- J

New Post
1/11/2017 7:26 AM

Hey all, question about adjusting the straps for the Umlindi. Most of the sizing info I've seen is for the bigger packs, like the Ute, or for bigger people. I'm not a big dude (5'9", 150), so I just wanted some quick advice, if that was possible. The big issue I'm having is with the Umlindi in a shoulder-only carrying configuration. With the Prairie Belt, it carries really well, but without the belt, the top of the shoulder yoke really digs into the back of my neck. Bringing it closer to my lower back with the bottom straps doesn't help, and lengthening the top straps seems to make it worse. So what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

New Post
1/12/2017 5:45 AM

Gokartz-got it, thanks!

New Post
3/23/2017 1:09 PM

Howdy,

I've got the same problem that AtomicSleepwalker has, in that without the belt, the Umlindi tends to dig into my neck when loaded with more than 15lbs or so. I'm 5'9, 140lbs, and slim. I have a Ute, and don't have this problem, due to the fact the Ute has a different connection to the yolk (single large strap in the middle of the yolk, compared to the Umlindi, which has 2 straps along the arms of the yolk). The yolk is a unique design, and I'd like to see if anyone has any suggestions for lowering the inward pressure around the curve of the yolk.

Thanks

Alex

New Post
3/28/2017 2:20 PM

dazhen6 wrote:
I've got the same problem that AtomicSleepwalker has

I had a similar problem.  In my experience, I would crank down the shoulder straps to pull the pack up on my shoulders, and then the yoke would put more pressure on my neck.

What worked for me was to raise the bag on the harness (ie shorten the straps between the Umlindi and back of the harness).  Then I didn't have to cinch the shoulder straps down as much to get the weight where I wanted it.  That fixed the problem for me until maybe 25-30lbs.  Above that I do find that the pack is much more comfortable with a belt.

ymmv

New Post
4/13/2017 3:26 PM

I have the exact same problem! I'm 6'4", but have a pretty short torso, and the same height where I run the Lindi with a belt is not very comfortable to carry, even with lighter loads. I have the connection between the harness and the pack body connected without any slack (as Chopchop mentioned), but I'd still like the pack to sit higher. It would be ideal if the Lindi had a similar harness attachment system to, say, the Aston House. I've tried running single shoulder straps, which helps (no neck dig), but the HPG harness is much more comfy if it could only be arranged similarly to the Aston House. Thought about arranging a modification for my own personal one, but it's stayed in the "daydreaming" phase.

New Post
4/23/2017 3:35 PM

A few more shots of the Umlindi, M2016, and Connor Pocket Combo (in Foliage/Stone). At 6'4 with a long torso, the addition of the M2016 as a top pocket made this pack long enough for me. It also gives it enough length to dock the Connor pocket in lieu of the Tara pocket, which adds even more load capacity. The mesh and outside zippered pockets of the Connor add a little more storage for items I want to get to quickly without having to access the main compartment of the Umlindi. It's early on, but I'm really enjoying this setup.

[URL=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s15/beballardjr/Hill%20People%20Gear/Umlindi/18118466_10209535873098354_376766234374054146_n_zpsykrs4r80.jpg] [/URL]

[URL=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s15/beballardjr/Hill%20People%20Gear/Umlindi/18058197_10209535754095379_4833925681736180126_n_zpsm3o5fapk.jpg] [/URL]

[URL=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s15/beballardjr/Hill%20People%20Gear/Umlindi/18057183_10209535872698344_8889209001609702866_n_zpss9qg1l6v.jpg] [/URL]

New Post
4/23/2017 4:02 PM

Pics aren't showing up.

New Post
4/27/2017 7:18 PM

My Umlindi arrived today. I'm going to really like this pack!! My first HPG item was the Attache and tool roll- fine products too. Looking forward to dialing it in and for now, it has xtra undergarment (b/c I easily forget them at the gym), after office hrs work clothes, undergarments for the day, and toiletries. Plus, I got the tara insert and have a small kifaru pullout with velcro sewn on the back and a maxpedition mini organizer on the insert can't remember exactly what the max deal is called but it's about 3x5").

I don't think it would hold my gear for a 2-3 day hike until I go more ultralight but its intended purpose was for daily carry anyhow. Homerun HPG!

New Post
4/28/2017 6:09 AM

trapperjay wrote:
I don't think it would hold my gear for a 2-3 day hike until I go more ultralight but its intended purpose was for daily carry anyhow. Homerun HPG!

check out lighterpack.com it is a basic, free place to host a detailed list and scrutinize weight. congrats on grabbing a lindi. After you dial things in can easily fill a 1-2 night roll in many conditions. The only time I go to a bigger pack is to get needed volume for winter, group trips or a bear can. etc.

New Post
4/28/2017 3:22 PM

Thank you for that website suggestion--it is helpful. There is hope. :)

Changing subject, the side panels in the lindi, are they also 500d? The fabric feels a bit different and has a backing too.

New Post
Yesterday @ 7:54 AM

Post deleted, wrong thread. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindiUmlindi