Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGSetting up the yoke on an UmlindiSetting up the yoke on an Umlindi
Previous

Next
New Post
5/13/2017 12:58 PM

I'm having issues setting up the yoke / harness on my new Umlindi.  The top of the yoke is digging quite badly into the back of my neck.  I've tried going looser and tighter and nothing seems to make a difference unless I adjust the yoke and straps so loose that everything just flops around.

I'm not using this with a belt currently, and prefer not in day to day carry.  I'm 5'6" and 180lbs, so I know I'm short, but not small.  

Any tips or tutorials on how to correctly set it up?  I've watched the Ute vido but it doesn't seem to help.  Thanks!

New Post
5/13/2017 4:39 PM

Yesterday I started messing w/ my strap length and there seems to be a sweet spot for me. I found it last night. What's the length of the strap from the bag to the slider? Not sayin this will do it for you but it has helped me. 

New Post
5/14/2017 5:37 AM

I get the same issue unless I loosen the load lifter straps and then run it with the belt (I've only ever run it with the belt) tightened now really well, like a true lumbar pack.

New Post
5/14/2017 1:49 PM

Are you making the adjustments while the pack is weighted? I know everyone is built different, so this may not help. After a little trial and error, I found that all of my HPG packs adjust better with a little bit of weight in them.

New Post
5/15/2017 3:09 PM

Yes, make sure the pack is weighted. Then for your height, bottom the shoulder harness out against the pack. After that, avoid the temptation to over-tighten the lower straps. You want them at a length where the harness can drape naturally with the center back of the harness below the nape of your neck. This should also have the pack resting in your lumbar area.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/15/2017 3:10 PM

double-tap -- also, I think I show where and how the Umlindi should ride in the Umlindi product video.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/15/2017 7:44 PM

Thanks all for the help.  The video was one of the key reasons I picked the Umlindi,as well as lots of great reviews.

I ended up fiddling and ended up exactly as you suggest, Evan.  I'm used to packs riding high and tight if running without a belt.  I ended up sinching down the yoke to the top of the pack,, and having a little slack in the shoulder straps s you suggest. That gave the pack (with about 25lbs of water, gear, folding AR pistol) a little wiggle room on my shoulders and kept it from digging.  It felt very different than I'm used to, but worked well.  

I also had my 45lb daughter riding on top for a little while as well.  She liked riding on the pack a lot better than on my shoulders, and kept us both cooler!

Thanks again.

New Post
5/16/2017 6:06 AM

What do you mean by bottom out the shoulder harness out against the pack for your height?

I'm sorry. I don't know why this isn't clicking for me.

New Post
5/16/2017 10:21 AM

A correctly designed pack will have a range of adjustment so you can set it up to fit your body, since all bodies are not the same. Adjusting the pack to fit you is critical for both good load carriage and also comfort. This along with a design that allows you to carry the load close to your center of gravity marry it to your frame, preferably in the lumbar area for most of the weight, are requirements that we design into all packs and also in selecting/assessing other packs.

One of the adjustments is the torso adjustment, which all HPG packs have. On the Umlindi and Tarahumara the adjustment is in the distance between the harness and the pack. For the Umlindi, you want to set it so that the weight is sitting in your lumbar via the stay. If you aren't running a belt it will be a bit higher than if you were, but it will not be high and tight. That was in part the issue, folks are used to wearing shoulder only packs as high and tight as they can get it, and cinch everything to much. The HPG harness is designed to drape the shoulders and not be overly cinched. That being said shorter folks are going to need to go with a shorter torso adjustment, which would equate to high and tight on a taller person.

What Evan meant by bottom out is, to adjust the two straps between the harness and the top of the pack so there is no distance between the two. If you were taller you would want to increase the distance between the harness and top of the pack.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/16/2017 10:58 AM

That makes more sense now. Thank you Scot.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGSetting up the yoke on an UmlindiSetting up the yoke on an Umlindi