Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPacking meatPacking meat
Previous

Next
New Post
6/15/2017 7:52 AM

I am in the market for a new 1 to 3 day pack with capabilities of hauling heavier loads of meat.  I was looking at the Ute as one of those packs.  Does anyone have any pictures of the pack loaded down with quarters,head etc...? I just want to see how some of you are making it work.  Do you make a load sling for it or is it compatible with any other companies load sling/meat shelf?  

New Post
6/15/2017 9:22 AM

The bag does not detach from the frame, so no load sling would work. I packed a deer out last year with just the bag. You can also collapse the bag and use just the compression straps to haul a load.

New Post
6/15/2017 9:45 AM

Line the pack with a contractor trash bag, and then just fill it with meat. No sling is needed, the pack is designed to carry loads. If it is something awkward then float the backpocket and use it as a compression panel. In the qui-Ya you can see Evan carry a 300+ lb rock that way.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/15/2017 11:43 AM

So I'm assuming you could use a dry bag insert then fo meat as well?

New Post
6/15/2017 11:44 AM

Unfortunately no photos to share, but Ive loaded the Ute as Scot suggests with an elk hind quarter and medium game bag full of backstraps and misc cuts for a total of about 80 or 90 lbs with no problem. Quarter rode in the bottom and hung the bag from the top loops and the load rode quite well.

New Post
6/15/2017 11:54 AM

Todd any pressure point issues when you were loading it up heavy?

New Post
6/15/2017 1:26 PM

Toddclausen,
Did you set the quarter on top of any gear to keep it a bit higher, or did you just let it ride in the bottom of the pack? Any problems with weight sagging?

New Post
6/16/2017 11:54 AM

sticky thread on the subject:

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/foru...112/scope/posts

Our bags are designed to be used as a packframe in conjunction with any one of the back pockets. That's what is depicted in the qui-Ya video: https://youtu.be/i7ph-_Dra0Q?t=4m35s For reference, that is a ~300lb sandstone slab. The Ute has the exact same chassis, except 4" shorter.

We do runs of blaze orange Palspockets every fall if you want to add some color to the back of your pack.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/18/2017 1:51 PM

What is the size of the ute frame? Also, for the additional pockets what are most of you running with it? The Conner, tarahumara etc?

New Post
6/18/2017 3:08 PM

Also wanting to see if anyone uses this pack for bowhunting? I'm mainly looking for a simple design that I can beat the crap out of, is well thought out and can haul out elk and deer while maintaining a reasonably comfortable feel with a heavy load. I'm fairly short at 5'6 and have a waist of 31". How do these packs fit on smaller frames folks?

New Post
6/19/2017 12:18 PM

Tradchef wrote:
a simple design that I can beat the crap out of, is well thought out and can haul out elk and deer while maintaining a reasonably comfortable feel with a heavy load.

That is a very good description of the Ute. The Ute is 24" in height and the stays are 23" if my memory is working.  Like all of our packs the Ute is adjustable for torso lenght, and like all of our packs with styas torso shape. That means that the stays, once you bend them to your back and lumbar, fit you better than any generic pack. That translates both into comfort and also load carriage.  As far as load control the, Ute has three side straps and two straps top and bottom.  That means you can secure your load so it is not slumping or moving around.  Here are a couple of good reviews that might help:
https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Ute-Field-Notes
http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/packs/hill-people-gear-ute-pack-a-modular-backcountry-platform/

Out of the pockets available now I like the pals or connor depending on my load.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/21/2017 12:13 PM

Tradchef wrote:
Todd any pressure point issues when you were loading it up heavy?

Not any more than with a usual 30ish lb load. It took a while to tweak my setup but have been using the pack for a couple of seasons now and have it dialed in. The shoulder harness fits me perfectly, my wife not so much.

New Post
6/21/2017 12:23 PM

zacht wrote:
Toddclausen,
Did you set the quarter on top of any gear to keep it a bit higher, or did you just let it ride in the bottom of the pack? Any problems with weight sagging?

The quarter was on top of a bit of gear but mostly riding about 3" off the bottom. The other meat bag was riding higher hanging off the top loops inside. I was able to use the compression straps and a bit more mule tape (for wire pulling, I usually carry at least 50' of 900#) to snug it all up solid.

New Post
7/8/2017 9:45 AM

Seems like this pack will fit a smaller shorter person pretty well. I. 5'7, 158lbs with a 31" waist. Anyone with the same specs or close to it? How does it fit?

New Post
7/8/2017 10:12 AM

My nieces who are smaller use a Ute for backpacking. For reference, Pia in the videos for the Ute is 5'3" and I think around 110-120 at the time.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPacking meatPacking meat