Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGProper kit bag for a short statured backpackerProper kit bag for a short statured backpacker
Previous

Next
New Post
8/5/2017 5:30 PM

I've been really interested in a HPG kit bag to take with me on some of my solo backpacking trips where Im looking to bring my pistol.

In reading other posts, there has been plenty of mention that the Snubby is often not the best option compared to the original based on where things hang and comfort. That said I weigh in at 5'7" and 150 lbs, and really all I am planning on carrying is my Sig P320 compact (with or without a light). While im by no means skinny, there is only so much chest width a 5'7" guy can really have

Based on that sort of dimensions, could anyone in their experience recommend the Original vs Snubby-original kit bag?

New Post
8/5/2017 8:42 PM

I'm 5-7/180. I used a Snubby for running a couple years with a Glock 19. With that size gun you can't get much stuff in the Snubby. I could just fit my badge/ID wallet, iPhone 5 in an Otterbox, and a house key. I picked up a Runners Kit Bag and I can get all those items in more easily. I do like the smaller footprint across the chest the Snubby has, so I might try an Original Pattern Snubby one of these days. I use an Original or a Heavy Recon in the woods; I'm guessing for your use you'd want to carry more than the pistol in it.

New Post
8/7/2017 8:51 AM

I'm a smaller framed guy too (5'4", 150, 41 in chest) I've been using an original pattern snubby for about 3 years now. It gives me plenty of room for me to carry what I want/need, while still being able to fit between my pack straps. I think a full size would be too wide for me to use comfortably.

New Post
8/10/2017 4:58 PM

I am also a slimmer guy - 5'10 165. I own both a snubby and original footprint kit bag  - both are great but I use them in different roles. The original has the obvious advantage of holding a bunch more stuff, so I'll use it for camping and longer trips in the woods. However, since my chest is pretty small, my arms will actually brush the sides of the kit bag during vigorous activity (e.g. jogging), so the snubby shines for day hikes and jogs.

Note: I have the original pattern snubby (the smaller one seems to have very limited utility). In it, I can comfortably fit a Glock 19, wallet, cell phone, keys, map, small light, pocketknife.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGProper kit bag for a short statured backpackerProper kit bag for a short statured backpacker