Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGDay hunter/hiker unlimdi vs aston houseDay hunter/hiker unlimdi vs aston house
Previous

Next
New Post
6/26/2017 4:15 PM

I've been looking for a good mid sized pack for almost a year and couldn't seem to find a pack that met my needs until I finally stumbled upon HPG. I bow hunt in WA and have used my mystery ranch Metcalf for a few years but want something smaller. I'm trying to decide between the unlimdi with a tarapocket and the aston house packs. I will be running a kit bag v2 and a prarie belt (unless a ranger belt is recommended over the prarie belt) on whatever pack is purchesed. I would like the ability to carry my bow on the pack as I ride bikes a lot when hunting. I like the idea of the aston house and all the organization but with my essentials in the kit bag it might be overkill. Any experience with either pack and how they load with a compound bow would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

New Post
6/26/2017 5:23 PM

Umlindi would be my preference out of those two for your uses. And I prefer the Recon belt over the Prairie Belt on both of those packs.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/26/2017 5:34 PM

Evan,
Why the recon belt over the prairie here? I have both and realize the recon is slicker in standard configs. What am I missing?

New Post
6/26/2017 6:12 PM

Elk Chaser60 wrote:
Evan,
Why the recon belt over the prairie here? I have both and realize the recon is slicker in standard configs. What am I missing?

I feel like with the lighter loads and smaller packs the Recon hugs my body better. Remember that neither of the packs mentioned have a lumbar pad and the thinner Recon kind of matches that. Originally, I prototyped the Umlindi with a lumbar pad and it was all wrong. I'm actually experimenting with a Recon belt on a Ute right now as well. Not officially condoned because the PALS on the Recon isn't exactly a reinforced stay pocket like the Prairie has.

There's definately a weight above which the Prairie is way more comfortable. And lots of folks prefer the Prairie even on the smaller packs. There's no right answer here, just my preference. And I guess the price difference between the two belt types can be relevant as well.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/26/2017 6:29 PM

Bro, Evan is the man so I don't want to counter him...but I've used my Umlindi up to 50lbs with the PB and have NEVER regretted it over the Recon.

New Post
6/26/2017 6:33 PM

I prefer the Prairie Belt over the Recon in all cases. It really is personal preference.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/26/2017 7:40 PM

Not sure how urgent the purchase is, but wonder if the AH backcountry proto that has been teased on social media would be worth waiting for, given your intended use.

New Post
6/26/2017 8:09 PM

Would the recon belt accept a water bottle holder and a medium pocket very well? And as far as mounting the bow would you recommend a buying a couple extra compression straps?

I'm not on social media very much, so I am unaware of any potential new products coming out, is there any info you can give me? Waiting to buy isn't a problem if the wait is worth it. 

New Post
6/27/2017 4:58 AM

The Recon Belt will accept any kind of pouch you want to run on it.  Works perfectly well.  What type of pack are you trying to carry the bow on?  If it is the Umlindi, there should be no need to buy extra compression straps.  The ones that come with it are more than up to the task.  The Aston House is capable of carrying a bow, as well.....maybe secure it to one side of the pack under the straps that run to the packbag from the Aston Pocket, or sandwich it between the Aston Pocket and the main pack bag, having the bow running vertically.  A third, and possibly best option, is to make use of the bottom opening on the main compartment of the Aston House and have part of the bow protruding from the bottom of the pack, up through the main compartment, and then exiting out of the top of the pack.  A lot depends on how quickly you need to get the bow loose of the pack.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/27/2017 6:08 AM

I think the unlimdi will work great for what I need, your packs seem very modular and easy to outfit with any of your extra bags and pockets which is very appealing to me. Thanks for all your help guys now I just have to wait for the pack to come back in stock! 

New Post
6/27/2017 9:26 AM

Hey man, sounds like you've already made up your mind, but I'll pile on too.

I also bow hunt in Washington. Last year I actually used a Tara with a heavy recon kit bag for elk season. We spend all day a foot and it held everything I needed.

I've since acquired an Umilindi, and may use it this year, not because I need the extra space, but because while the Tara is a great pack, the Umilindi just fits my body better and is more comfortable to wear all day long.

I tend to favor the "one big sack" approach to backpacks instead of packs with lots of built in organization, because I carry everything in sea to summit dry sacks, so the sacks become my de-facto organizers.

New Post
6/27/2017 12:01 PM

I'm hoping the unlimdi with recon belt will fit me well, I am 6'3 215lbs. I think the one big pocket will work better also, the aston house pockets might not be deep enough because I also use dry sacks here in WA. If I think the pack doesn't have enough room I will get the palspocket so I can retain the compression straps to hold my bow. 

New Post
6/27/2017 2:35 PM

I'm 6'3" 250lb with a freakishly long torso and the Umlindi fits me great, so you should be good to go.

New Post
6/27/2017 8:22 PM

Wose, do you run a belt on your umlindi? Its good to talk to someone with a similar build. 

On a side note, I realize that I've been spelling umlindi wrong this whole time lol, sorry to the Hill brothers. 

New Post
6/28/2017 5:02 PM

Nelsonerikm wrote:

Wose, do you run a belt on your umlindi? Its good to talk to someone with a similar build. 

On a side note, I realize that I've been spelling umlindi wrong this whole time lol, sorry to the Hill brothers. 

I haven't. I've just had my Umlindi since March. It's seen mostly light duty. I've used it on family day hikes, carrying every body else's snacks and layers.

It's main role is for when I go to Portland once a week to carry my work laptop, associated gear, and enough gear to support a hump across the bridge to where my truck is parked in the event of us having The Big One while I'm at work in town. I carry about 18 pounds in that role and it's quite comfortable wihtout the belt. 

That's a similar amount of weight, or even more that I'll be carrying during elk season this year.

Getting a prarie or recon belt is on my "round to it" list. Come to think of it, I think the belt from my big Osprey pack will fit on it,.

New Post
8/11/2017 9:53 PM

I like the Umlindi with an unattached Recon Belt. The Recon Belt has water and pouches for camera/snacks and the Umlindi can ride high. If I wanted I could put the M2016 on the belt and it will still ride clear of the Umlindi.

For compression panel I prefer the PALs Pocket over Tara - but just got an Aston House so will have to reevaluate after I fiddle with the Aston Pocket.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGDay hunter/hiker unlimdi vs aston houseDay hunter/hiker unlimdi vs aston house