Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGEDC PackEDC Pack
Previous

Next
New Post
8/9/2017 11:08 PM

Hey everyone,

I am currently setting up some "get home bags" for my girlfriend and I. We live in an urban area that doesn't have the best neighborhood and we are going to college. My hometown is about an hour drive away and that is where we would be "bugging out" to get to. I have been looking for a good quality bag that doesn't look tactical and will fit enough supplies/ edc equipment for me to use on a daily basis while not sticking out like a sore thumb. Which backpack that HPG makes fits this bill? I was thinking the Tarahumara or something like that in the 200 dollar range (on a budget). What do you guys think? If there is another bag out there in the world of packs that you think would be better for what I have said above please let me know! Thanks!

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." - John Muir

New Post
8/10/2017 4:58 AM

The tara with the tara insert is a great edc choice. We have 3 in my house that get a ton of use.

New Post
8/10/2017 5:00 AM

I think you could make the Tara work for that role if you are careful with how much you put in it.  Perhaps a better option is the Connor pack.  The Manatee / Foliage color combo does not stick out in an urban environment, and you would be able to carry everything you want for a Get Home Bag.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
8/10/2017 8:18 AM

Another option I was thinking about (more in the 300.00 range) is the Umlindi pack with an Aston House pocket on the back for my little items to be organized. I could also throw some sort of organizer in the back of it to organize my EDC items for classes as well as have a trauma kit in it. Plus I could eventually get a waist belt and it could be used as a hiking pack/ overnight or even a multi day use in the summer. Is the umlindi too big for this role do you think or would it be good? Thank you for the help!

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." - John Muir

New Post
8/10/2017 9:23 AM

For EDC, I think the Umlindi would be the biggest you'd want to go. I dig the Connor, it has a really nice streamlined profile, and you can capture loose stuff like jackets (or even a kit bag if you don't want to wear it) under the wings. The Connor's stated approximate size is 25L where the Umlindi is 30L. But the reason I think you'd dig the Connor more is that it has much more organization off the bat. And the fuzzy pals-cut inside means you can velcro/strap more organization to the inside where the Umlindi would require an insert for it.

All that being said, I own a Connor, and don't yet own an Umlindi. I tried to EDC a Tara and it didn't work for me because I had too much stuff.

New Post
8/10/2017 3:46 PM

As a dual use-primary EDC bag. What else are you going to putting in that bag in addition to your EDC. Laptop? Random stuff for a day or occasional once a month items?

New Post
8/11/2017 2:45 PM

There could be a whole host of things that I use this pack for:

- day hikes to multi day summer trips (with prairie belt eventually)

-EDC: laptop, first aid/ trauma kit, rain jacket, possibly an AR pistol (11.5 inch barrel), extra mag, flashlight, notebook, planner, water bottle/cup, and stuff to work out in... these are the types of EDC items that COULD be in my bag

-"Get Home Bag": first aid, fire kit, extra socks, shelter, extra mags, AR pistol, signaling, water, food, land nav, etc.

-Weekend trips/ Carry on: clothes for a few days, hygiene kit, first aid, laptop, chargers, water bottle, uniform, boots, rain jacket, clothing layers in cold climates, etc.

I really like the idea of having the aston house organizer on the outside of this pack. My current EDC is a Tactical Tailor Assault Pack but I don't like the way it carries and its not very multi purpose or modular like the HPG stuff is. It also screams tactical and army....I think the umlindi would make a great pack for in the field as well (I wish I could get it in multicam but that would kill the gray man niche for the pack).

New Post
8/11/2017 9:33 PM

How about an Umlindi with a Tarapocket? I really like my Umlindi and the Tara makes a great compression panel.

One thing to note is that if you slap a belt on the Umlindi (and have a torso greater than about 16-17") then the Umlindi rides like a big lumbar pack.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing (I love my Kifaru Scout) but something to be aware of

Also the Connor and Aston House are currently available in black for a limited time. In an urban environment everyone has a black backpack. Black sticks out more outside of the urban jungle though.

New Post
8/12/2017 8:40 AM

That sounds like a good set up but I fear that it would get too big with the tarapocket while I am going from class to class. The reason I like the Aston House organizer is because of the size that it is. Thank you for the point on the "lumbar pack" that the umlindi turns into with a belt!

New Post
8/14/2017 12:38 PM

I would say go aston pocket on an umlindi. You can compress the umlindi down with all of your edc essentials in the pocket. Worse case, throw the pocket in the umlindi as an organizer. Clean look for normal day to day unless you overstuff it. Not sure a connor would work with a laptop. Umlindi would. I think Scot already has done it. Umlindi + aston + belt would take care of every adventure less than 2 days. Maybe more according to alpendrms setups.

New Post
8/16/2017 8:04 AM

I've used the Tara, Umlindi, and Connor for EDC and as emergency bag. They will all work, but they all have some drawbacks. If you don't mind I'll share my experiences and what I settled on.

The Tara is awesome, close to my ideal size. I like the shape, I like the bottle pockets, and I like that it was top load. However, when I had even just one bottle in the pocket (nalgene or oasis), I couldn't easily get my computer in or out. Additionally, the computer would have to go against my back, so I'd have to basically dump everythnng out to get to it. I tried to use the slot pocket, but my work computer was still too big. Currently I make it work as my gym bag - no computer, no worries.

The Umlindi is also awesome. It solved all of my Tara problems: computer easily fits and is easily accessible. My only issue capacity wise is that I thought it was a bit too big for EDC, which meant for me two things. First, I had a tendency to overload the bag. That's my problem, not the bag's, but I had a hard time working around that. The second issue was it was a top load - invariably I'd have something I need that was unsecured to the Aston insert I used and would end up in the bottom buried by stuff. Ultimately I sold this pack to get a Connor, but I regret letting it go.

I currently use the Connor as my EDC and go to bag. I find it is a combination of great size, depth, and compartments. The zippers make relatively easy access to everything. The depth is 3-4", so I find it easy to organize, with and without pull outs. It is compressible. The middle pocket I've found to be really useful - I've used it to carry a few books, odds and ends, and most recently an emergency shelter. My knock on this pack are: no bottle pockets like on the Tara/Umlindi. It has "pockets" on the side, but you gotta be using a TINY bottle to make them work. (They are however awesome for holding a machete, saw, or axe.) So I end up storing my water in the pack, which probably reduces my useful capacity to Tara size, just with easier access to stuff and a bigger foot print.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Connor and my Tara, and they're great packs. I think the Connor is perfect for my uses, and since I'm not using it for bushwacking, the water issue is rarely an issue. Just yesterday my family went to the zoo, and I was carrying my normal pullouts (EDC, 1st Aid, and Emergency), plus two one liter bottles of water, diapers and wipes, and a pouch full of snacks, with rain jackets in a roll strapped to the bottom. So it works, and is easily altered for whatever you need and everything still being accessible. I

New Post
Yesterday @ 1:28 PM

The Connor is my surprise love. I really did design it primarily as a back pocket, and the pack like features were added on after. But now I still use a Palspocket as the back pocket on my large pack and only use the Connor as a day pack. For a day pack, I love it. Particularly travel and urban. I do use it mountain biking and for a front country daypack. For that use, I've got to agree with GoKartz that the lack of bottle pockets is somewhat problematic (the little ones were sized to barely fit a bike bottle, but the intended use is really tools of various types, particularly trekking poles).

Recently, I've been experimenting with a pair of 16oz bottle holsters on the outsides of the hypalon wings. It doesn't look as sleek anymore, but still carries just as well and gives me back enough capacity inside the wings that I can now make the pack heavier with gear than any shoulder only load I want to carry.

I'm in a position to have a dedicated urban Connor and a dedicated outdoors Connor which most people aren't. The bottle holsters are only on the outdoors one. If I was making a single Connor do double duty, I would seriously look at this solution for water bottles: https://ovinnovations.com/products/teeter-pouch
In town, I'd leave them collapsed and carry a single water bottle in one of the mesh pockets. Outdoors, I'd put dual water bottles in the Teeter pouches and use the rest of the pack for other gear.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
Today @ 11:16 AM

Evan I am sold on making the Connor my EDC but had a couple of questions that perhaps you could answer.

First I typically carry a Surface Pro 4 (11.50” x 7.93” x 0.33”) and it gets pulled out anywhere I go. Would it be best to stack this over the pouches in the main compartment?

Does the Connor have a use for a Tarainsert? My assumption is no but wanted to confirm. May sell it off with my Tara.

Finally is the internal PALs Grid 11x19 like the AstonInsert?

New Post
Today @ 12:11 PM

First I typically carry a Surface Pro 4 (11.50” x 7.93” x 0.33”) and it gets pulled out anywhere I go. Would it be best to stack this over the pouches in the main compartment?

>> one of two things I'd do. 1) Put it inside the main compartment on top of any organizer pouches you have velcro'd to the back. I this case, you'd only need to unzip the top of the main compartment to pull it straight out. 2) Put it in a sleeve of some sort captured underneath the wing compression straps. Super quick to pull out. Probably the first option is best.

Does the Connor have a use for a Tarainsert? My assumption is no but wanted to confirm. May sell it off with my Tara.

>> Theoretically, maybe. In reality, no.

Finally is the internal PALs Grid 11x19 like the AstonInsert?

>> The entire suspension side of the interior is velcro / PALS, roughly 11x 21". Maybe a tad bigger depending on seam allowances.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGEDC PackEDC Pack