Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAdding Capacity to a TarahumaraAdding Capacity to a Tarahumara
Previous

Next
New Post
8/15/2016 6:21 PM

On my last outing I needed a bit more capacity than my Tarahumara had. My solution was to strap a MOLLE II sustainment pouch to the Tara's compression straps.

This worked pretty well and gave me an additional 432 cubic inches. However, if I was engaged in a strenuous activity where the pack might flop around it probably wouldn't be secure enough. Over on BCUSA, "Creaky Bones" posted how he attached a MOLLE II waist pack to his Tara. It looked good to me so I ordered one. As you can see below, it clips to the compression straps almost like it was made for it.

In his pictures on BCUSA, Creaky Bones has his waist pack mounted with its zipper towards the Tara, rather than away from it like I did. It might move less when done his way but you'd need to unclip it to access anything inside. It's easy enough to unclip it and reverse it if the situation dictates.

Of course, one could add a waist pack to the bottom of the Tara and possible use its belt, and then attach either another waist pack or sustainment pouch to the pack as shown above.

Obviously, at some point you are better off with a larger pack, but if the Tara is what you have you can extend its use with modular add-ons.

Dave Markowitz

New Post
8/17/2016 4:30 PM

I use a Emdom 4x4 pouch for my canteen and cook set. I made a sort of compression panel for my tara with it. This works well and with no sag when cinched up tight. The Center Line Systems gear roll also works well on the bottom of the tara.

[URL=http://s58.photobucket.com/user/jclark0369/media/Mobile%20Uploads/D8595E84-192A-48E2-9AD4-97BD1F2F6F93_zpsjsmnbyxm.jpg.html]
[/URL]

New Post
6/3/2017 9:12 PM

To Martin in Liberty --

I like the straps you've added to the bottom of your Tara pack. How, or what, did you attach to the bottom tabs (not seen in the pictures) to make it all work?

New Post
6/20/2017 7:19 AM

I recently used a small (5 liter) dry bag on a overnighter with the Tarahumara- it held a light Apex quilt and jacket- freeing up much needed room in the main compartment.

secured under the two compression straps

New Post
6/20/2017 2:39 PM

I have found the HPG stuff sacks to be the lightest and most convenient way to add capacity to my Tara. I generally only do so in order to carry a serape in colder weather. Otherwise I just go to a bigger pack, as the Tara just isn't meant for more than minimal gear. That's what makes it so great.

New Post
6/20/2017 7:33 PM

I think Dunamis may have gone out of business???, but their cargo holders also are an easy way to add a little volume to the Tara- this is the small, roughly 4 liters

they attach via g-hooks, can use it on the pals of my recon harness as well

New Post
6/21/2017 8:19 AM

Lately, I have been using a Kifaru Grab-It mounted to the bottom common loops with slick clips.  Would probably be better with ladder locks or SR buckles, but I like the low profile...

I always have a carbiner, so everything goes into any type of pull-out (w/top common loop), loosly clipped to top grab handle, hanging down into the grab-it.  Then everything is held in place/compressed by the grabe-it.

will try and posty some pics later... 

New Post
8/11/2017 9:56 PM

If you're creative I'm pretty sure you can run a PALS Pocket either behind the Tara or between the Tara and harness

New Post
8/30/2017 8:27 PM

I sometimes will run 1 0r 2 Kifaru large pockets on my Tara. They are full of light weight gear, I keep water and other heavy items on the pack itself

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAdding Capacity to a TarahumaraAdding Capacity to a Tarahumara