Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUltra running/racing setupUltra running/racing setup
Previous

Next
New Post
8/31/2017 3:34 AM

I am looking for a new, ultra-light/minimal running setup. 

I'd love for it to be HPG gear, but may be trying to force the gear into the wrong category. We'll see what you think. I currently use a snubby kit bag for all of my runs to carry my phone, gel packs and minimal first aid. I also have a tarahumara pack that I love hiking or fast packing with. 

I went on a 10 mile trail run/hike up and down Mt Ida on Crete this week. I carried 3 liters of water, some snacks and a long sleeved shirt for the summit. Too much/too heavy to run with, plus the Tarahumara bounced like crazy when running. My wife used a Nathan running vest with 1.5 liter water bladder capacity. We traded packs for a bit and decided I overpacked and needed a better solution for running. 

So, my thought was to buy a recon harness and runner's kit bag in ripstop. I'd really prefer HPG over Nathan or Salomon vests due to the rugged nature of HPG and I prefer my gear is made in the USA. I'm a little still a little concerned about bouncing. Obviously I'd use a 1.5 l bladder, not 3 l. Sweat was also a problem hiking this week it was really hot and the lack of air circulation with the Tarahumara caused my back and shirt inside to get soaked. If I understand the description correctly, the recon harness has a mesh back?

Too long; didn't read: do you think the recon harness with a 1.5 l bladder paired with a runner's kit bag would not bounce when trail running/racing?

Thanks for your feedback!

Jonathan

New Post
8/31/2017 7:47 AM

An inelegant option would be to rig a small belt to the bottom of the Tara and run across your waist to minimize bounce. I noticed the same issue with mine but truthfully rarely move that fast. 

Even a one inch strap would create a "runners kit" for the Tarahumara.

New Post
8/31/2017 6:08 PM

I put a Tactical Tailor/SKD (don't recall) fix-it set of clips on my HPG kit bag and another company's lightweight assault pack to allow fast attaching them. the pack accommodates a hydration bladder. One needs to balance the weigh front and back (based on EDC firearm, how much hiking kit's necessary, etc) but not relying on the pack's straps minimizes the unbreathable-fabric-to-shirt ratio. I don't run any more but I push the overland movement, so bouncing hasn't manifested itself as a problem. a minimalist waistband (and I mean a 1" piece of webbing with clips can easily be rigged/hacked to minimize movement as jamsub mentions above it ain't inelegant if it works.
YMMV

New Post
8/31/2017 10:40 PM

Thanks for the input. I thought about adding an additional strap to reduce bouncing. Like you said, when (fast) hiking bouncing isn't an issue at all, however the Tarahumara is definitely too big and heavy to carry during an ultra race. I may have to give the recon harness a shot and maybe add additional straps or heavy duty shock cord so it can be cinched down. Fortunately there are typically aid stations every 5-10 miles so I don't need to carry water/supplies for 100 miles.

New Post
9/2/2017 7:00 PM

I've found the runners harness to work quite well at stabilizing the tara when running, but that may be forefoot strike running form combined with a fairly slow pace.

New Post
9/4/2017 6:40 PM

I've used that exact combo (kit bag/recon harness) running in the mountains w/o any issues. Definitely want to pack light though; added weight will induce bounce (and comfort level goes down).

Also be sure to use the additional shock cord setup w/ the kit bag.

New Post
9/4/2017 7:42 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll order a recon harness and see how it works. I'll definitely be using the shock cord with with it. It may require some modifications to get the right fit. I'm thinking it will all be light enough that it won't bounce though. The Tarahumara is just overkill for racing.

New Post
9/18/2017 3:11 PM

I'd be really interested to see how that set up works. I've had similar problems with "bounce" with both the Tara and umlindi (whenever you connect the you harness to only 2 contact points). I too desperately want to find a way to make hpg into an ultra set up, but so far have been unable to do so stock.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUltra running/racing setupUltra running/racing setup