Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUTE Pack and carrying a rifleUTE Pack and carrying a rifle
Previous

Next
New Post
7/16/2017 6:47 PM

Quick question for the crowd. I'm running the Darin Fink this year and I've settled on (purchased and set up too) the HPG Ute pack. 

The only lingering question is what is the best way to attach a rifle to this pack other than just looping the straps around it. 

Is there a rifle carrier similar to the Exo Mountain Gear Rifle Carrier or the Kifaru Gun Bearer that will attach easily and securely to this bag? Both of those systems look solid but looking at then on the internet I have no idea how they attach and Kifaru says their attachment method is propreitary. 

Thanks guys!

New Post
7/17/2017 8:45 AM

Not sure if this meets your needs, but could this one work for you?  There are a couple other variations of this one on the Eberlestock website, as well as an add-on buttstock cover.  Hope this helps!

http://www.eberlestock.com/store/side-scabbard-491

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/17/2017 9:58 AM

We have two different products on the horizon for carrying rifles on a pack. Already sent in for production sampling. They're both extremely simple so should be able to get into production quickly. The problem with the gunbearer is that it is almost impossible not to flag people if they're ahead of you on a hill.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/17/2017 10:16 AM

evanhill wrote:
We have two different products on the horizon for carrying rifles on a pack. Already sent in for production sampling. They're both extremely simple so should be able to get into production quickly. The problem with the gunbearer is that it is almost impossible not to flag people if they're ahead of you on a hill.

Those new products sound really cool!  It will be interesting to see your take on them.  Could be another game-changer product!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/17/2017 2:22 PM

There are two ways a kifaru gun bearer attach either a velcro wrapped around a 2" belt or larger and kifaru's patented ladder lock system to their belt. Similar to Pals. I will take a look on where you could attach it to a UTE. Where is your preference for mounting? Left, right or straight down the center?

New Post
7/18/2017 11:59 AM

I checked it out. You can attache the long velcro Kifaru one to the Prairie belt and it will hand down enough to be centered on the side of the UTE. The velcro is long enough to wrap around the belt near where it attaches to the pack. Strapping for fast retrieval might we different. If you cover shipping, I can send you both parts and you can see if it works for you.

New Post
9/27/2017 7:02 PM

I use the Kifaru military gun bearer on the Ute.  The metal clips on it fit through the PALS loops on the Prairie belt. What Evan said about muzzle control if you are with other people.

New Post
9/28/2017 8:53 AM

The universal gunbearer will fit just about any pack and could even be rigged to a belt and kit bag if you so desired.

The standard gunbearer mount/cradle (with the metal 3-bar slides) can be attached to most PALS webbing but the upper (forearm mount) needs to be jury-rigged to most non-Kifaru packs due to the lack of a proper attachment point.

The trick with either system is to tinker with how the gun hangs until you get it where you like it.

New Post
9/28/2017 1:48 PM

shu wrote:

The trick with either system is to tinker with how the gun hangs until you get it where you like it.

+1

New Post
9/28/2017 2:44 PM

This should work for strapping your rifle to your pack:

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/C.../7/ProductID/80

The gunbearer is best for a solo hunter with a rifle that has at least a 20" barrel. Otherwise you will end up muzzling either you or your friend throughout the day.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
9/29/2017 9:55 AM

The gunbearer is certainly not a perfect solution... it can be difficult to adjust, dangerous with shorter barrels, a pain to install the gun - especially in bitter cold - and if you aren't careful about closing the top buckle your rifle may take a nosedive into the rocks/mud/snow.

But I have tried a lot of different slings and it is the best solution I have found. I am generally wearing a pack, I do not hunt in groups and am very deliberate about muzzle control (I get the feeling that most on this board are as well), and it allows hands-free movement for climbing and glassing while keeping the firearm readily available and still fairly protected between arm and body.

It is not for everybody but it is one way to skin the cat.

New Post
9/29/2017 12:51 PM

What Evan and Shu said.  I usually hunt solo with 19"-20" barrels.  Need to pay attention to the muzzle.  It is the best system I've found so far.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUTE Pack and carrying a rifleUTE Pack and carrying a rifle