Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHPG-compatible Meat Shelf?HPG-compatible Meat Shelf?
Previous

Next
New Post
10/19/2017 7:42 AM

Kevin's picture in the "external frame" thread reminded me: is there a meat shelf option that mates well with the anchor-points on a Qui-ya?  I seem to remember that such a shelf came with the strap-kit you could buy back in the old "Highlander" days, but aren't sure about the strap spacing from third-party manufacturers.  (FWIW, I'm looking to haul a wooden tripod, not elk quarters, so bridging the gap between the compression panel and host pack is a little more necessary.)

New Post
10/19/2017 11:31 AM

I have never seen the situation where a good compression panel didn't beat out a meat shelf for keeping the load where it should be. The Ute / qui-Ya platform was specifically built with this in mind. Doesn't mean the meat shelf situation doesn't exist, but I think you'll find that you neither need nor want it.

I honestly don't remember for sure, but I think the old strap kit included a compression panel, not a shelf.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/19/2017 2:32 PM

Thanks, Evan...what I was envisioning was essentially sticking a fence post between the packbag of a Qui-ya and, say, a Connor in compression panel mode, so I wasn't sure if it could be lashed down tight enough so it didn't eventually slip through the crease between packs.

At any rate, I was happy to take my new qui-Ya out for a few jaunts in the GSMNP recently--I cannot begin to tell you what experiencing "shoulder lift" for the first time is like!

New Post
10/20/2017 7:56 AM

I'm pretty sure you'd be good. I've hauled fenceposts before on a pack frame using only compression -- no "sling" on the bottom.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/26/2017 8:15 PM

Anyone hauled meat using their Umlimdi with a compression panel? Specifically wondering about using it for hauling deer quarters. Would be using a belt as well. Think it would do ok?

New Post
10/30/2017 5:15 PM

CreationBear wrote:

Thanks, Evan...what I was envisioning was essentially sticking a fence post between the packbag of a Qui-ya and, say, a Connor in compression panel mode, so I wasn't sure if it could be lashed down tight enough so it didn't eventually slip through the crease between packs.

Sounds like a prussik anchored to somewhere on the pack would be a simpler solution then a shelf, if I am hauling something I don't trust not to slide out I usually just wrap a compression strap around it a few times before I anchor it, but a prussik or two would be the nuclear option.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHPG-compatible Meat Shelf?HPG-compatible Meat Shelf?