Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGShock cord and cinch lock purpose on Tarahumara straps Shock cord and cinch lock purpose on Tarahumara straps
Previous

Next
New Post
12/3/2017 8:02 PM

I'm a HPG newbie and just received my Tarahumara.  I can think of multiple uses for the 4 shock cords with cinch locks connected to the front straps, but none that are really good enough for me to justify not removing them (or at least shortening them greatly).  Am I missing something? Ideas?  

New Post
12/4/2017 6:08 AM

I've used them for water bottles, gloves, beanie, camera tripod, and detached rifle scope.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/4/2017 12:06 PM

Great ideas.  Any others?  Please keep them coming as I plan to maximize the Tarahumara (since it is by far the most comfortable pack I've ever experienced) as both my EDC and 2-3 season overnight backpacking bag.  As soon as I can afford it, I'll add a kit bag for backpacking, but as of right now my wife kinda feels our kids should get Christmas gifts this year as well. Priorities, right?   

New Post
12/4/2017 12:13 PM

Why do you want to press the Tarahumara into a 2-3 season overnight backpacking bag? Where do you live, or are you going for the travel light freeze at night mantra? The best way to maximize a Tarahumara for overnight backpacking use is to attach it to a Ute, or if you want to go minimalist an Umlindi. The Tarahumara, will do more due to the harness, but why do more with it, when the Umlindi or Ute will be do more even better?

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/4/2017 4:39 PM

Ozark Mountains (big hills) of southern Missouri/northern Arkansas. I'm an experienced hiker (for this area) and my gear is small and lightweight. I'm not an ultra minimalist, but also not someone who tends to pack extra of anything and the Ozarks are pretty forgiving. Most of the year here is 40's-90's (so not much need for cold weather gear going into the Tarahumara. I typically hike in areas with numerous streams so water is rather abundant. As I mentioned earlier, I'm a Hill People newbie. From what I've recently learned about Hill People products and from my brief experience with the Tarahumara, I have a pretty good suspicion that one of the "U" packs will probably be in the budget sometime next year.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGShock cord and cinch lock purpose on Tarahumara straps Shock cord and cinch lock purpose on Tarahumara straps