Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGASTON HOUSE BACKCOUNTRYASTON HOUSE BACKCOUNTRY
Previous

Next
New Post
12/1/2017 8:23 PM

Hill People,

Your timing is perfect. I have traveled extensively with my Umlindi for years and own a Tara for everyday carry. Both packs are exceptional. I was looking for a larger pack recently and was torn between the Ute and the original AH. The Ute was a little big for my needs and the AH has a little too much internal organization for my taste. I like to organize by pouches, it allows for quick transfer between packs as need be. The AHBC is the perfect blend of the two. I received mine today and am extremely impressed. The frame sheet is great. I loaded it up with my Umlindi load out and couldn't believe how much more I could fit in there. The load lifters make a noticeable difference during carry too. Glad to see another high quality pack in your line-up. Thanks!

New Post
12/4/2017 9:32 AM

I should be buying Christmas presents for family. Instead, I'm buying this for myself. Thanks HPG, sorry friends and family. Haha

New Post
12/6/2017 3:43 PM

I've been searching for a replacement for my early 1990's MountainSmith Bugaboo for a least 7 years maybe more....(many packs cone and gone) Yea I know it's and old pack, lot of miles/history, was my one and only daily use pack back in my GS5 days......but hey it has lasted all these years for work and play, and even with repairs it still can be used.

Enter the HPG AHBC Horra!! I think I've finally found a decent replacement. A little more space, great suspension, can use with or without a belt, slot pockets, travel with----mix and match with my other HPG belts, pouches, etc.....thinking of a way to use my tarapocket as a compression pack on the back similar to the panel, (mix and match as needed) thinking of using some split loop female connectors on the tarapocket to hook into the compression straps....was a little concerned about the pass through top and bottom but really heavy duty zippers there, I did watch the video and understand the reasoning, and hey I could zip lock the zipper pulls if I really wanted to.......looking forward to some time to put everything to the test.

New Post
12/13/2017 3:02 PM

I hear ya on the pass through zipper concern. That is my biggest/only concern with the pack as well. I have a feeling that for the first few trips I'll be a bit paranoid and will be checking the bottom pretty often to make sure I'm not getting any zipper movement to expose the contents to potentially falling out. Or I'll go the route you mentioned of just zip tying the bottom zippers together to eliminate that concern. Personally I could do without those zippers all together. I like the top zips though, mainly because I like the idea of running something like a rifle inside the pack and leaving the top zips open to allow the barrel to run out the top. But I could live without the bottom ones for sure. Oh well, it's a minor issue for me and one that is easily resolved with a zip tie.

New Post
12/13/2017 3:09 PM

"I do really like this footprint and suspension setup for an all around pack and you're going to see a top loader in this size so I've got something I want to carry."

Top loader on this footprint would be awesome. Especially with just a shade of internal organization capability such as the lid of the Ute or Qui-Ya... just saying.

New Post
12/13/2017 8:02 PM

Regarding the bottom zipper:

Another option is to use para-cord instead of zip ties. Less likely to break in cold weather, or degraded from UV light. You can also untie them easier when you want to actually use the pass through design.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGASTON HOUSE BACKCOUNTRYASTON HOUSE BACKCOUNTRY