Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack
Previous

Next
New Post
8/9/2017 7:52 PM

pr wrote:
I'd like to add a removable lid to the Ute while keeping the top compression straps. I'd like a lightweight lid that can be used as a day pack. Has anyone gone through this process? Any suggestions?

The M2016 was designed with just that in mind:

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/10/2017 5:54 PM

Thank you.

New Post
1/10/2018 1:28 PM

What's the recommended way of attaching the M2016 as a lid to the Ute? I connected g-hooks to the two loops at the top of the harness and the 2nd ones down on the side of the Ute. Then brought the Ute top compression straps over the top of the M2016. It doesn't seem right.

Help?

Thanks!

New Post
1/16/2018 5:13 PM

Hey guys. So I got my Ute in today and am stoked about digging in.
Got the bag out and the stays and reading on here that they were a bit of a pain to get into the channel I was going to try and get them in before bending/adjusting if need be and try to let it stretch out the channel for a day or two (While playing with all my other goodies of course). I started from the bottom and ran it through with out issue (seems that they are wider) but then it fed through and OUT the top. I was under the impression that there should have been a pocket there to capture the stay. Correct! Or am I just a little in the slow side. (If so do not answer, ha)

Also my sternum strap has two male ends. No female side. I don’t really go that way so I’m not really sure how to work that one. Ha. 

New Post
1/16/2018 5:18 PM

The tightness issue was addressed after the first run. When you insert before they get all the way in, flex the tip away from the pack to hit the pocket. The first time or two it can be hard to hit the pocket, but it is there.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/16/2018 5:24 PM

Yea apparently I am a bit slow. I got it.
also the sternum strap has two male ends. No female side.

New Post
1/17/2018 10:37 AM

Kevin, got me squared away.
Thanks guys

New Post
1/26/2018 6:14 PM

Just picked up a Ute. Why won't the Aston Panel or Pocket work with this pack?

New Post
4/19/2018 9:58 PM

Got one on the way, along with a Tarahumara, had a question.

Is everyone sizing the stays on their own, or with help from a friend?

This pack/setup will be semi-replacing my Osprey Talon 44, which I loved. Although an on going issue I had, was with heavier loads, it tended to want to sink down no matter how tight the hip belt was. Hoping this new to me suspension will remove to the problem, and or make carrying a heavier pack easier on me.

New Post
4/20/2018 7:47 AM

It is certainly easier to have the help of a friend, but I do it myself most of the time. You just might end up doing more tweaking under load. Typically a pack slipping is because the stays aren't locking into your lumbar. Taking the time to dial in your stays is well worth it for that reason along with heavier loads. Just be aware that if you have never felt properly adjusted stays they will feel like to much to start.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/20/2018 11:14 AM

scothill wrote:
It is certainly easier to have the help of a friend, but I do it myself most of the time. You just might end up doing more tweaking under load. Typically a pack slipping is because the stays aren't locking into your lumbar. Taking the time to dial in your stays is well worth it for that reason along with heavier loads. Just be aware that if you have never felt properly adjusted stays they will feel like to much to start.

Thanks Scot, I'll have a friend help. Since I've never used a pack with these types of supports, itll go by quicker with an extra set of eyes. The osprey I have was setup by an employee at REI, but honestly it never felt like all the weight was in my lumbar. Seemed like most of it relied on cinching down the waist belt real good. I never had any issues until I was going past 25lbs. After one trip at 50lbs I was hurting pretty bad.

I used to regularly do over night trips every weekend, at least 3 times a month, over the course of 3 years. So it got a good amount of use. 

The UTE will be my first full support pack, so I'm sure it will be very different. Along with the prairie belt, visually it's way bigger then what comes on the osprey talon. I'm hoping to do more multi day trips. 

New Post
4/23/2018 7:49 AM

My experience with REI is that most of the folks while nice and helpful, just don't have the experience and knowledge to really recommend and dial in gear. That comes from interaction and knowing folks they have hired who after a days orientation were selling gear they had never used personally (like kayaks when the person had never kayaked or even canoed). That is not really a knock on REI as folks with depth of knowledge are just rare. My guess is they didn't really understand how to help you dial it in, because in general Osprey makes good packs.

The other issue I see folks trying to make small packs do more then they really should. I see it all the time, and it is something we constantly fight against. The I am going to use my Tarahumara for a week long unsupported back packing trip. Without being familiar with your Osprey, you may have been using a pack that was only designed for 25lbs or so. Most of the current crop of "backpacking" packs are designed for the ultra light crowd, and fall in that category. It is not so much a fault of the pack, as it is functioning as designed. On the flip size, we always design for great load carriage then needed so if you end up needing to go there you can, which is how we wind up with folks wanting to use the Tarahumara for multi-day backpacking trips (not making this up it was 4 days if I remember with all kinds of stuff strapped to it). The reality is that for bigger/heavier loads you are going to need a more robust pack designed for that weight. If you take the time to dial in your Ute I don't think you will be disappointed.

New Post
4/23/2018 9:02 PM

I hadn't thought about that, the person I was dealing with must have been very convincing then. I don't have any friends that do my kind of backpacking or know how to set one up. But they Osprey has always served me well, maybe it just needs to be dialed in more. 

Often times, I didn't carry a ton of weight that would cause issues with the pack. It was more of lack of space. For example, if I was hammock camping, a lot of the time the pack was already stuffed, before I got around to adding in both top and bottom quilts. The Ospray Talon 44 did pretty well for me. But I do see where your getting at. I was definitely pushing it on usuable space that's for sure. 

Ultra light guys are a different story. I've got a friend like that, his summer 2 day pack will weigh in at 6-8lbs including food (but no water).

My buddy helped be bend the stays yesterday, the pack stock felt great. But with the stays adjusted, it now fits even better! I'm looking forward to using it on a trip. My Palspocket, medium pouches, and bottle holsters came in today. Those will be fitted up shortly.

In regard to q/c, have you guys had any reports on stitching overlapping into another piece? My ute has that with one of the compression loops. Only seems cosmetic, but I wasn't 100% sure.

New Post
4/24/2018 5:23 AM

Email pictures to info@hillpeoplegear.com if it is an issue we will take care of it, or if you are just bugged by it enough.

New Post
4/24/2018 11:17 AM

Thanks Scot, 

I checked my email,  forgot I sent an email a few days ago.  Didn't get a reply yet.  However I know you guys get bombarded with emails.  I'll be standing by,  it's going to be another week or two before I can do a trip anyhow. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack