Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUsing the recon pack as a weapon-support platformUsing the recon pack as a weapon-support platform
Previous

Next
New Post
3/26/2017 7:25 PM

Hi Everyone - has anyone used a Recon bag for as a chest rig in a carbine-class, or similar application? I just picked one up, and have set it up with a Blue Force gear 10-speed mag pouch on the outside. I'm having one issue: when I draw from the pouch, the entire bag lifts up and I have to hold it down with my other hand to get the mag out. Has anyone experienced this challenge? Alternatively, I'm curious to hear how anyone else has set-up or used their recon pack for carbine-support. Thanks!

New Post
3/26/2017 9:39 PM

Yep, I would not use the Recon bag as a chest rig for magazines. I have the BFG 10 pouch on my Heavy Recon but use it for GPS and Radios. I am waiting on my First Spear to run the fast access medical platform that Alpendrms posted a few weeks ago. It is pretty good for all that. It sits too high for me to work as a chest rig. Your pulling magazines out at chin level. You need to be able to pull and insert mags one handed from your off trigger side. Try running the BFG on a patrol belt and you will get better access to the magazines for reloading. The patrol belt is an excellent battle belt!

New Post
3/27/2017 8:55 AM

The 10 speeds are very tight to start with, but will loosen up a bit over time. I have had no problem using a Recon Kit bag in three for four various rifle/carbine courses with 10speeds. If you class is very soon using some other pouches might make more sense, but if have a bit of time they will be fine. I will say that they never are really one-hand insert, but I have never found that to be an issue of any kind as empties don't go back in mag pouches and if I am topping off magazines putting them in with two hands isn't a problem. . I know that Tacos are very popular if you are looking for an alternative. I have also never had a problem with the height of the bag in a class. In fact it allows me to run my regular CCW setup or very close (depending on the class I might use a OWB instead of a IWB in the same location), and as I wear a kit bag frequently it lets me just use what I would likely use anyway not a special setup.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/27/2017 10:34 AM

I should have clarified that my post was from my personal experience. I have never liked drawing from higher up on my chest and prefer lower but that really is personal. I did find myself drawing and hitting my chin but I carry the kit bag higher than what I have seen on other people too. 

New Post
3/27/2017 2:08 PM

Thanks guys! I may revert to a non-elastic pouch for my upcoming class but love the low-profile 10-speed pouches. I'm sure they will break in.

New Post
3/27/2017 7:17 PM

Hey Bronco -

Just thought I'd weigh in here. I experienced the same thing you did using the latest and greatest MagPul Gen 3. I experienced slightly less issues with Gen 2s, and minimal issues with aluminum GI mags. I haven't found a good GI mag that runs as well as MagPul mags so that's been a bit of an issue. If you have good GI mags, they'll run great in th pouches. I haven't used the 10-speeds long enough for them to loosen up like Scot mentioned, so I may have to revisit stretching them out a bit. (How did you get yours to loosen up a bit?)

I will say I haven't used this in a class, but I did use it doing some pest control for a friend, running a 300 BLK using 20 round GIs with ranger plates. Dude ... That was pretty sweet and incredibly handy. I can heartily recommend using a recon with 10-speeds for hunting/pest control - once you get the mags or pouch tension dialed in.

I've toyed with slapping some tacos on the front but... It loses some of the low speed low drag bit the elastic pouches got when I don't want to run it as a chest rig. Might be worth revisiting, if I can't get the 10-speeds sorted.

Just had a thought - I got my wife a Ruger mini and those lil 20 round Ruger metal mags might be ideal. Doesn't help you for an AR, but I'm patting myself on the back for my brilliance (and beating my head into the wall for how long it has taken me to think of it).

J

New Post
1/18/2018 1:35 PM

*THREAD NECRO*

Here are a few photos to show some flexibility with the Recon Kit Bag. I have since moved up to a Heavy Recon but the concept still remains. 

Above is a Maxpedition 6 mag insert chopped down to a 3 mag for rear pocket use. I have a full velcro panel back there but even the strip would suffice if this stays mostly zipped up. BFG Dapper would be a good option here too.

Here is the Recon with external pouches supporting an HSGI Rig with Taco Pouches. Slik Clips allow for attaching this fairly quickly. I saw someone else on here do this and was inspired. 

New Post
1/19/2018 8:59 AM

HPG Recon Kit Bag. I don't hunt with this all the time, usually just in support of my precision rifle. A couple things change if I carry a fanny pack or a backpack as well, but this is pretty much it.

Rangefinder pouch is ziptied on when I'm done with archery until I get a Molle pouch. TAD admin pouch and a bleeder kit 550 corded to the bottom.

Contents of external pouches

In the Kit Bag admin pouch I have batteries, a light, ammo card, VS-17, compass and a flare.

In the main compartment of the KB I carry my otterbox survival kit. This goes in my pack otherwise and is switched out with a handgun.

I like the idea of the BFG 10speeds since they can be used to carry things other than magazines, or magazines.

If you wanted something solely for magazines, you could run these upside down to draw the magazines from underneath. That would remedy the bag from riding up.
https://www.skdtac.com/ITW-FASTMAG-p/itw.110.htm

New Post
1/21/2018 11:13 AM

Anyone happen to use ESSTAC KYWIs for their mag pouches? They sell a side by side AR15 pouch with an additional double stack pistol one that I'm seriously considering for my RKB. They use a retention insert that is made out of kydex. If not those, does anyone use any poches that use a bungee retention on top? I do reinsert mags after they are empty during a reload.

New Post
1/29/2018 10:01 PM

I use First Spear MultiMag pouches. They will fit anything from a 5.56 mag, 2 pistol mags, a 7.62 mag, DeLorme GPS, phone, etc. The only downside is price. 

http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=18013&cat=259&page=1&featured=Y

I personally wouldn't run a full blown kit bag for a training class.... BUT,

I have rigged up a Micro chest rig (Spiritus Systems) to ride unerneath my kit bag (for predator/hog hunting purposes). This lets me run a full med/survival gear in my kit bag, and 2-3 AR mags underneath.  

I'll try to get some pictures posted in the coming days. 

New Post
1/31/2018 1:09 PM

I've been curious about whether anyone has sewn or mounted 10-speeds to the back of the kit bag… I think if they rode closer to the skin it might be an overall low profile option and a way to seamlessly use an already incredibly useful piece of gear as a chest rig.

New Post
1/31/2018 1:16 PM

I have long used the back pocket for magazine storage in classes and out and about when my handgun is on my belt. Like you said having the weight against the body is better location, which is why in general I prefer the Recon for use as a gun support setup. As you alluded to it would be a custom modification to add them to the back of any of the kit bags, and at that point I am not sure if a different setup might not be better then the kit bag. For my uses as a civilian in the back pocket or on the front has worked great, and I haven't felt the need for more, but then again I try and keep my kit bag lighter rather then heavier.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUsing the recon pack as a weapon-support platformUsing the recon pack as a weapon-support platform