Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHelp choosing a packHelp choosing a pack
Previous

Next
New Post
3/12/2018 2:00 PM

Ok guys I need help picking my next pack. I'm looking for a day pack for hiking and a possible but very rare overnighter but temps should never get below 30°F. For day hikes I need to be able to carry most gear for myself, my girlfriend (she will have a small pack) and my young daughter when she gets older. For overnighters it will most likely only be myself. My 2 main contenders are the umlindi and AHBC both with belts. I already have a heavy recon kit bag which can be used in either when needed. I'm leaning more towards the umlindi because it is more backpacking oriented and it will hardly ever see EDC use. I also like that I can add a tarainsert with pouches if I need better organization down the road. What do you guys think? Am I correct in my thinking on preferring the umlindi?

Thanks

New Post
3/12/2018 2:45 PM

I would go with a Ute. Once you add in a kid packs fill up fast. A Ute can get almost as small as an Umlindi, but an Umlindi will never get as big as a Ute. Plus as you add weight, and maybe a kid, the more you will appreciate the lifters.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/12/2018 2:49 PM

scothill wrote:
I would go with a Ute. Once you add in a kid packs fill up fast. A Ute can get almost as small as an Umlindi, but an Umlindi will never get as big as a Ute. Plus as you add weight, and maybe a kid, the more you will appreciate the lifters.

Oh man now you made my choice even more difficult. I was looking at a Ute but it seemed like too much pack for what I needed right now. My daughter is only 2 months so it will be a while till my girlfriend is comfortable taking her with us.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHelp choosing a packHelp choosing a pack