Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie BeltPrairie Belt
Previous
 
Next
New Post
10/31/2016 1:17 AM
 
Generic Question, applies to the Prairie Belt, and all the packs that use it. 

Will the "belt and suspenders" configuration work for a backpack with a full load?  Here's why I ask.  I have a big chest, etc. etc. shoulder straps always kinda dig into me.  I have the Connor pack with the shoulder harness and it's a vast improvement from other day packs I've had.  But if it would come straight down or at an angle not as severe to the bottom that would be aces, assuming it would work.
 
New Post
10/31/2016 6:28 AM
 
I Beam wrote:
Generic Question, applies to the Prairie Belt, and all the packs that use it. 

Will the "belt and suspenders" configuration work for a backpack with a full load?  Here's why I ask.  I have a big chest, etc. etc. shoulder straps always kinda dig into me.  I have the Connor pack with the shoulder harness and it's a vast improvement from other day packs I've had.  But if it would come straight down or at an angle not as severe to the bottom that would be aces, assuming it would work.

With a fully loaded pack?  Hmm....I don't think it would carry well like that.  However, because the Prairie Belt does such a great job with load transference to the hips and much of the weight off the shoulders, I would think that you would feel a benefit.  You would be probably be able to run the shoulder straps fairly loose, and let the Prairie Belt take most of the load.  Having it set up in belt & suspenders mode wouldn't do much for you, I don't believe.


Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.
 
New Post
12/12/2016 10:35 AM
 
I'm looking to fit a Prairie Belt to my newer (not sure the year) K. Duplex frame with carbon stays. Basically I want an external frame pack with a belt rig that I can separate from the pack in areas with heavy brush.



The lumbar pad on my Duplex is held up with two Velcro tabs that go through grommets in the frame and the bottom of the stays are covered in nylon that folds over the bottom of the frame.



I can see two fairly obvious methods of doing this:

1) Fold the nylon back to expose the stays and tuck the stays into the back of the PB. I'm not sure how well this would work with what I believe is referred to as a second generation Duplex.

2) Modify the Prairie Belt so that the two pockets on the back form one large pocket and slide the frame in similar to how the K belt is configured.



Either method will probably require the removal of the padding in the back of the PB while it is being used on the pack.



Thoughts? Other ideas? Will one of these methods work?
 
New Post
12/14/2016 7:19 PM
 
veriest1 wrote:
I'm looking to fit a Prairie Belt to my newer (not sure the year) K. Duplex frame with carbon stays. Basically I want an external frame pack with a belt rig that I can separate from the pack in areas with heavy brush.



The lumbar pad on my Duplex is held up with two Velcro tabs that go through grommets in the frame and the bottom of the stays are covered in nylon that folds over the bottom of the frame.



I can see two fairly obvious methods of doing this:

1) Fold the nylon back to expose the stays and tuck the stays into the back of the PB. I'm not sure how well this would work with what I believe is referred to as a second generation Duplex.

2) Modify the Prairie Belt so that the two pockets on the back form one large pocket and slide the frame in similar to how the K belt is configured.



Either method will probably require the removal of the padding in the back of the PB while it is being used on the pack.



Thoughts? Other ideas? Will one of these methods work?

 

Anybody?

 
New Post
12/15/2016 12:28 PM
 
Probably better to start this in a new thread. I don't have experience with the generation K packs you are talking about. The ones I used to have had a fold over lumbar pad. Yes ideally you want the stays tucked into the slop pockets. I just don't have the experience to say how it is best to do it. Why would you need to remove the pad from the Prairie Belt?

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston
 
New Post
12/15/2016 3:46 PM
 
scothill wrote:

Probably better to start this in a new thread. I don't have experience with the generation K packs you are talking about. The ones I used to have had a fold over lumbar pad. Yes ideally you want the stays tucked into the slop pockets. I just don't have the experience to say how it is best to do it. Why would you need to remove the pad from the Prairie Belt?

 

I'll take some pictures when I get home and do that.

The lumbar pad on the Duplex is really thick already and, while it fits well with my girlish figure, adding any extra padding will probably be over the top.

 
New Post
12/21/2016 10:37 PM
 
Kifaru provide thinner lumbar foam pads to replace the stock one if its too thick i believe.
 
New Post
12/23/2016 10:16 AM
 
^Good to know.

 
New Post
1/10/2018 12:17 PM
 
Just an update to the question of how to attach a knife sheath to the Prairie Belt? Blackhawk Speed clips seem to work well for a dangler setup. Easy to install and remove the sheath.
 
New Post
5/11/2018 12:19 PM
 
How many columns of PALS are on the medium and large prairie belt?
 
New Post
5/11/2018 1:03 PM
 

The medium has 7 and the large has 8 full columns on each side. 

 
New Post
5/13/2018 12:22 PM
 
Do you think the prarie belt would be a good replacement for the belt on my Camelbak / futura trizip? Im a 36” waist and the stock belt is just too small.
 
New Post
5/16/2018 1:30 PM
 

Never mind. 

 
Previous
 
Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie BeltPrairie Belt