Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGKit Bag SelectionKit Bag Selection
Previous

Next
New Post
8/8/2018 8:49 AM

Diving right into things full bore here, but after settling in to the new house and a more regular exercise routine there are a couple gaps in carrying that I want to fill, and the HPG kit bags seem like the right choice. I'm 5'11" and around 230 (and dropping) but will never be small chested/framed. There are two specific, and different, activities that I'm looking at a kit bag for, and I think I'll end up with two different bags to support this. Looking for the most advice on which bag to go for during the second set of activities.

1. The first activity, and the one I'm pretty set on the Origional Kit Bag V2 for is hiking. Currently we're just getting to the 5 mile range on hikes, but I see that extending further and getting more into backcountry areas as we go. It's all day hiking, so I'm not carrying a pack outside of a hydration pack and I want somewhere to carry my Sig P229 and spare mag, GPS, phone, wallet, sunscreen, insect repellent, small first aid kit, knife, a few snack items, etc. Not intending to overload, but I like the idea of having a chest rig to counterbalance the 100oz Camelbak. I entertained the Heavy Recon for this, but I think I would potentially overgear it, and it's a bit more tacticool than I want to remain relatively low profile.
  2. The second bag, and where I'm really conflicted, is for early morning exercising. Currently I'm walking 3-4 miles every morning. If my knees grow to tolerate it, I expect that will evolve into running which will extend my distances further. I may also potentially use this to carry to the gym on days when weather doesn't cooperate. I'm looking to carry significantly less here, Sig P938, phone, wallet, small knife, small flashlight, and maybe a few other things as required, but mostly just the 4 things. This is in a more populated area, so trying to avoid drawing too much attention as an obvious CCW choice. So my tossup here is between Snubby Origional Pattern and the Runner's Kit Bag. It seems to me that the Snubby will hold all I want with the least obtrusive footprint, but from reading through the forums and other information I'm concerned that it won't "feel right" on my frame. I've already discounted the regular Snubby Kit Bag as I think I'd end up turning it into a brick with the things listed.

Thanks for any help on this!

-Mike

New Post
8/8/2018 1:02 PM

My recommendation is the Runners given you size. I think you will find it more comfortable, especially given what all you want to carry.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/8/2018 2:05 PM

I think you are right about your first scenario. The Original should do fine for what you want. I use the Snubby almost everyday but it is limited in what it will carry and still allow getting stuff (gun) out in a timely fashion. I only carry my wallet, single spare house key, gun and mag. That is all and it is all I feel will fit comfortably. Much else and things are just too tight. It sure does carry that load nicely though.

New Post
8/8/2018 6:17 PM

I use an Original KB V2 for most of my extended hiking and backpacking, and love it for the extra capacity in those scenarios.

But for shorter day hikes, etc. where I'm basically carrying what you describe, I prefer to use a Runner's. I also recently picked up a Recon Harness to pair it with, and it's usefulness has been greatly expanded.

I carry a P229 or P938 as well, btw.

New Post
8/9/2018 7:49 AM

Thanks for the inputs, going with the Original V2 to start and seeing how it works with a smaller load, if that's not cutting it, will add a Runner's to the rotation.

Of course, all the reading here has got me thinking about just going with a Runner's Kit and adding a Tarahumara pack for hiking, to really give the capacity. Just move the water bladder over from the hydration only pack I currently run.

New Post
8/9/2018 11:15 AM

This is my opinion only but unless you feel you must have access to it often or quickly it is best carried elsewhere. Compass/GPS, gun, map,TP, glasses (gotta have the readers to even see the compass or read a map), wallet, license (under some circumstances), lip balm/sun screen and that kind of stuff (not all at once usually) is what I consider for myself, "kit bag" stuff. Get too much in one and it becomes hard to find and get stuff out,

New Post
8/9/2018 2:17 PM

snakey3 wrote:

This is my opinion only but unless you feel you must have access to it often or quickly it is best carried elsewhere. Compass/GPS, gun, map,TP, glasses (gotta have the readers to even see the compass or read a map), wallet, license (under some circumstances), lip balm/sun screen and that kind of stuff (not all at once usually) is what I consider for myself, "kit bag" stuff. Get too much in one and it becomes hard to find and get stuff out,

Agreed. I've seen some people loading them up like they are a full-on chest rig, but I think it's possible to overstuff the larger Kit Bags, though of course some of this may just be personal pref. I try to keep mine pretty minimal with just things I want to have quick access to in front of me - the rest goes on my back. Esp. if you are planning on carrying a firearm in one, make sure you can access it quickly with the actual load you're carrying. 

New Post
8/9/2018 3:35 PM

Weight and contents are a very personal thing, but in general folks tend to overload them in my opinion. I have been guilt of it myself with, this would be nice to have. At this point, I try and keep it paired down as much as possible. I don't go so far as pulling out my beanie and gloves during the summer because those are kind of emergency use items, but otherwise it has to be stuff that I use regularly. My new inreach is kind of an exception because I don't want to switch it between packs and I go the mini specifically so I don't have to. I also carry a pair of binos in there, but have invested in compact and light so again they don't have much bulk. I am amazed at the amount of stuff folks get into their kit bag and carry in their kit bag regularly, or at least I assume they are actually using them.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/9/2018 8:00 PM

I run an Original V1 kit bag with binos where the gun would normally be.

The rest of the pockets are kept pretty minimal with a fire kit and button compasd in a small yellow dry bag for signalling, deet, Zeiss lens wipes, Fisher pen, my hunting license, a few small zip ties for attaching tags, any mouth calls I may be using or the remote for my digital call, Sawyer mini filter with collapsible bottle, and a wind checker I made for stalking. I think that's about it.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGKit Bag SelectionKit Bag Selection