Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAvalanche Safety Gear Carry with HPG PacksAvalanche Safety Gear Carry with HPG Packs
Previous

Next
New Post
12/2/2018 11:29 AM

Hello! I think I've posted once before in the forums. 

It's shaping up to be a great ski season here in Colorado, so I've been putting a lot of thought into how I carry my backcountry ski and mountaineering gear in HPG packs. Avy gear needs to be well secured to the pack so it doesn't shift or get lost during a fall, but also rapidly deployable when the time comes. I've used ski touring and mountaineering packs from other manufacturers, and while they are typically very good for carrying sport-specific equipment, they aren't at all comfortable. Go figure - most make suspension compromises to cut down on weight. 

Currently, I'm running either an AHBC or Ute with framesheet removed and some sort of pocket. Typically, a tarapocket works well as it's more easily stuffable. I have a 90% solution on shovel and probe carry. I put the spade portion of the shovel behind the compression panel and the shovel handle under the compression straps in the wand pocket. I rig a probe for quick deployment from the main compartment. (This is especially easy to do with the AHBC).

How are carrying your avy gear? How do you balance the need to have everything secured well with quick deployment? 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAvalanche Safety Gear Carry with HPG PacksAvalanche Safety Gear Carry with HPG Packs