Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHill People Gear External Frame Pack: 2017 Update?Hill People Gear External Frame Pack: 2017 Update?
Previous

Next
New Post
10/17/2017 11:37 AM

Hello Hill Brothers!

Any update on a HPG external frame pack?

Has the project been put on the hold with the release/success of the Qui-ya?  

I've slowly sold off my old Kifaru internal frame packs and transitioned to HPG packs, but still holing onto my Duplex for the rare times I need to carry an odd shaped load. 

My apologies if there has been a more recent update then 2013, my google skills are weak today.

Thanks in advance.

New Post
10/17/2017 12:04 PM

We have not shelved it, and I think we are finally working with the right project manager. He is working on all our metal products right now, and so far has brought one to market (Lever Light Mount), has another close, is working on the wood stove, and the external frame pack is product number 4. He has experience in CNC work, design, tooling, etc..., and also is a designer himself with metal experience, so he speaks the language. It looks like he has also found the right manufacturer who can be a sole source manufacturer for all our metal stuff. As with a lot things there are a lot of moving parts so one step at a time.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/17/2017 12:12 PM

Thank you Scott.

It's good to hear things are rolling along. 

New Post
10/18/2017 7:38 AM

Although we're still committed to the external, way fewer people will need it than actually think they need it. If you've got a Ute or qui-Ya, you've already got a much better hauler than that duplex frame. And a pack that's good for a lot more than just awkward loads.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/18/2017 8:29 AM

Very timely post by Kevin. Thanks Evan.

My Ute and Connor just arrived, and the plan is to use those 2 in conjunction with each other as the perfect PA treestand setup (UTE carrying all the extra clothing/snivel gear, and the Connor going up in the tree with hunting/cook gear).

The test for me will be how my climber stand packs out between the UTE and Connor. Last year I used my Duplex frame and cargo panel for transport and then used a Kifaru Xing (internal frame) for actual hunting.

I also have a Kifaru AMR which has been my main backpacking bag. That thing is a beast (in a bad way). It was too easy to pack too much gear in that 8000+ cubic inch pack. My old Eagle Scout "be prepared" brain would have me packing in overdrive filling up all that extra space.

Next, I plan on buying the Qui-ya and M2016 for multiday backpacking trips and will hopefully be able to sell the Kifaru setup... if my "Beverly Hill Billies" pack everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink mentality can change!

I much prefer the modularity of HPG and being able to drop camp, and still have my prarie belt/butt pack/kit bag for exploring. The massive lumbar pad on the Duplex never really agreed with my partially flat curved back either. My inquiries about a HPG external frame is to help ease my cubic inch addiction to overpacking large loads.

Thanks again!

New Post
10/18/2017 6:07 PM

evanhill wrote:

. If you've got a Ute or qui-Ya, you've already got a much better hauler than that duplex frame.

What makes a Ute's suspension any better than a K/Duplex frame if an HPG shoulder harness is installed on the latter?

Also, what about HPG's ex-frame prototype is an actual improvement over a Dana Shortbed in full "HPG dress"?

New Post
10/19/2017 12:12 PM

What makes a Ute's suspension any better than a K/Duplex frame if an HPG shoulder harness is installed on the latter?

1) The Prairie Belt is better than the K belt. Not by a huge amount, but certainly a noticeable amount.

2) The lumbar pad on the K frames is too thick and off-sets the center of gravity causing slippage. I suspect the thickness is an attempt to address the problems in the next point.

3) The 7000 series aluminum stays on HPG packs do a better job. Unless the carbon stays happen to fit your back, you need the aluminum stays from K. But both the carbon and extra thick 6000 K stays have no flex to them. Flex serves 2 purposes on an internal. First, it allows you to tension the load further over your center of gravity when you hit the load lifters. Without flex, tightening the load lifters is pretty much the same as strapping yourself to a backboard. Second, the S curve of the stays provides a fair amount of shock absorbtion as you walk because the S compresses a little bit with each step. With heavier loads, this effect is more pronounced. The shock absorption saves your body from jarring and also helps keep the pack properly seating in your lumbar versus being walked down with every step.

Also, what about HPG's ex-frame prototype is an actual improvement over a Dana Shortbed in full "HPG dress"?

1) The lumbar area is significantly different than the Dana frames and any other external. It's a big functional improvement I need to do a patent filing on.

2) The load to frame interface is very different and much better than the Dana (although similar to some other frames).

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/20/2017 12:31 PM

I agree the Prairie is an improvement over the K belt, only because you can customize the padding, as there is little room for improvement over the K belt.

I've only used the lone Kifaru frame I own, and mine is an oddball.  Patrick's mass-market attempt, thru Cabelas IIRC.  The belt and straps on it were crap, and its only 1/8th in thick, like their current UL version.  The lumbar has a velcro flap to allow you to change the padding, just like the HPG belt.

I added the K carbon/wood stays, they fit me perfectly, though that probably won't be true for all.  To me they have more give than the rediculously heavy aluminum ones.

I put an HPG harness and belt on it, and a Kifaru Markhor bag.  Adding a Kifaru KU chair to the bottom enables the frames use as a load hauler sans bag

New Post
3/3/2019 2:28 PM

i agree

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHill People Gear External Frame Pack: 2017 Update?Hill People Gear External Frame Pack: 2017 Update?