Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGTara fit/suggestionsTara fit/suggestions
Previous

Next
New Post
3/6/2019 6:10 AM

Any tall guys (6’7” here) running a Tara?

Sold a couple unused packs and thinking about ordering a new one and a new kit bag to attach permanently.  

Would be used for hiking, long mountain bike rides and fair weather hunting when there’s no chance I’m packing out meat.

Had originally bought a Kifaru Late season but couldn’t get the fit right, plus it was bigger than I needed anyway.

Thanks

New Post
3/6/2019 11:21 AM

Not sure what but was thinking....meant the Connor not Tara.

New Post
3/6/2019 1:29 PM

I'm about your size and have found that I can get enough adjustment in the harness so that my Connor nestles into my lumbar spine pretty well. (I'm carrying about 25 pounds of large format camera gear, which is pushing my maximum for an all-day ramble with a beltless pack.) That said, I'm still a big believer in buying a bigger pack and compressing it if need be--something HPG packs excel at. It might sound like a stretch, but at your size, even the Ute would make for a compact and versatile option since you can pull its framesheet and/or stays.

New Post
3/6/2019 2:50 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with going bigger, but in this case, if I’m going any bigger I’d just as soon wear my duplex frame with a small pack or panel attached to it.

I have big covered pretty well, but need to expand my smaller pack inventory. I’m not sure I could get comfortable on a bike wearing the Ute.

New Post
3/6/2019 6:26 PM

Ha, the Ute might be a reach for biking if you're not LeBron, but even at 24" it rides pretty low with the HPG harness--replace the stays/framesheet with some closed-cell foam and you might be in business. At any rate, be sure to try a qui-Ya if you get a chance--I sifted through a lot of gear (including different iterations of Kifaru suspensions)--but it's a great "big guy" pack.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGTara fit/suggestionsTara fit/suggestions