Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGDeckerDecker
Previous

Next
New Post
3/27/2019 4:35 PM

Thanks for the insights, Evan. Very much looking forward to further reports and developments regarding the Decker.

New Post
3/28/2019 4:04 AM

Just throwing it out there as I suppose feedback might be helpful for future production decisions (well, if others feel the same way), but I want this pack not because of the load hauling but because of the Decker pocket:
1. the larger water bottle pockets...this is huge to me
2. the front zipper pocket...the slight bit more organization I always wanted from my Umlindi
3. The hypalon flap (which I know could be obtained with a capture flap, but it's nice it's already there

I would be all over a Decker version of the Umlindi, but I may be in the minority I recognize.

New Post
3/28/2019 5:10 AM

Missed your reply, Scot. Thanks for adding extra insights that make sense and help move me closer to a decision. One of the best things about HPG is getting observations from you and Evan that are direct from the front lines of in the field use.

New Post
3/28/2019 9:20 AM

Collin, that Decker Pocket design pattern is going to show up in other places.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/28/2019 11:35 AM

evanhill wrote:

That's great to hear.  I loved my Umlindi, but the Decker pocket changes really answer all the particulars I liked.  

And I've just become a big fan of huge water bottle pockets since trying an SO pack and Dave Chenault built me a large day pack with them, and he really nailed them.  Can fit a lot in there, but also things don't move around too much.

New Post
3/29/2019 11:37 AM

How I plan to use the Decker, is to use a separate lightweight duffle style bag, behind the decker pocket, that contains most of my camp supplies. That way, I do not have to dig and sort through the main bag to access the camp set up. This will be helpful If I need to move every night, but also if I want to do basecamp style backpacking. It's a simple and quick process to pull that duffle bag out behind the pocket or put it back, and be on the move again.

This allows me to keep all my day hiking supplies in the decker pocket. I do a lot of basecamp style hiking, where I set up camp, and do day hikes from that one location. Sometimes I want to stash my camp supplies, and set up at a later time. This will also be helpful for that purpose. For hunting, It will be nice to not have to dig your camp out of your pack everytime you need to setup. You can load that camp setup next to the frame, like you would a game bag.

There will still be circumstances where I would prefer the Ute and Tara setup over the Decker (hiking into desert canyons where I want a lighter daypack), but overall I am excited to use the Decker in the manner as I have described. 

New Post
4/12/2019 3:54 AM

evanhill wrote:

I'm hoping it will show up on a pack the size of the AHBC. That would probably be my most used pack.

New Post
4/13/2019 8:45 PM

I think a pack that splits the difference between the Ute and Umlindi would be fantastic. The only thing that would make me pass it up would be if the belt attaches the same as the Umlindi/Aston. If it is set up more like the way a prairie belt attaches to a Ute, then I am in.

New Post
4/13/2019 9:25 PM

I think a pack that splits the difference between the Ute and Umlindi would be fantastic. The only thing that would make me pass it up would be if the belt attaches the same as the Umlindi/Aston. If it is set up more like the way a prairie belt attaches to a Ute, then I am in.

New Post
4/16/2019 3:21 AM

I'd be all over a pack in between the Umlindi and Ute with the new pockets.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGDeckerDecker