Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHPG Harness on Kifaru MarauderHPG Harness on Kifaru Marauder
Previous

Next
New Post
7/11/2019 8:51 PM

I got my Tarahumara a few days ago, and the whole bag is great but I can already tell the harness is a gamechanger.  I have an old Kifaru Marauder that I use as a probably overly heavy main pack with stuff sacks and one of the old Kifaru pods to expand the capacity.  I'm wanting to use the Tarahumara as a compression panel, and move one harness between the two when I cache the Marauder.

I've found some instances here and elsewhere of people putting HPG harnesses on other Kifaru products but I haven't found anyone doing it with anything that has the same strap configuration (at least that I can tell) as the Marauder.  I have experimented with just attaching the harness to the 1" lifter straps on the Kifaru, which seems like it would probably work for very light loads, but that leaves the main 2" wide attachment straps flapping in the wind and also doesn't seem like it's going to scale to heavier loads because of that.

Has anyone reading here done something similar who may have some pointers for me on this? 

New Post
7/12/2019 8:04 AM

For a no-sew/no-cut option, I think this mod works pretty well...here's the link on the now-defunct Kifaru Forums:

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthrea...er+straps+zippy

As you can see, you'll have to scare up some hardware, but you can get the Marauder to ride pretty well with the HPG harness--the only issue might be if you need to pack to ride high for some reason...the extra hardware adds a few inches to the minimum strap adjustment length.

FWIW, I ran a G1 Marauder/HPG harness combo as my EDC and was quite pleased with how it carried.  I'm thinking of doing the same mod to the minty Marauder I just picked up, but I should mention that you'll probably have to remove the thumb-loops/tabbing loops off the original Kifaru lower shoulder straps to get them through the ladder-lock buckles of the HPG harness.

To be honest, though, if I were you, I'd probably leverage your Kifaru pod; i.e. just throw your Tara w/ harness in it and have it accessible and ready to go without a lot of faffing about...you're not talking about a real weight penalty for the second harness, especially if you're rolling with old-school Kifaru gear. ;)

New Post
7/14/2019 11:25 AM

Thank you, what a perfect solution! I even have some of that hardware. I guess I didn't look hard enough if I didn't find that post, so I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

You're probably right on the single harness not really making a difference, especially since this bag probably won't do more than long overnights and will probably settle down as an aid bag for a truck once I decide on a more flexible pack that doesn't have so much PALS, since I don't wear my camouflage monkey suit anymore and don't need it. Good idea on the POD though, I had thought about it but assumed the tara wouldn't fit but it does. I'm wanting to have a stuff sack live on the tara with a serape in it and it looks like that may even fit so just getting a second harness is probably going to be the way to go.

Thanks again!

New Post
7/20/2019 10:35 PM

My version is a 1 inch webbing strap sewn directly to the centre of a 2 inch triglide (same idea as the normal compression straps, just replace the 1 inch oval triglide with a 2 inch version). Am on the shorter side so this allows me to attach the harness a little closer to any of the kifaru packs that use x-Ray shoulder straps. Currently running the HPG harness on the zippy and tarryall.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHPG Harness on Kifaru MarauderHPG Harness on Kifaru Marauder