Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi interior open-top pocket uses?Umlindi interior open-top pocket uses?
Previous

Next
New Post
9/13/2015 11:49 AM

I've been eyeing the Umlindi pack for a while. Several youtube review videos I've seen seem to indicate there is an open-top pocket/pouch in the interior, opposite from the frame sheet section. None of the videos mentioned what this pocket may be used for, and with no way of securing the top I'm assuming not a safe place for any valuable items or stuff you don't want possibly falling over into the main area.

I'm curious what the designed use for this pocket may be, and what people generally do with it?

Thanks.

Chris

New Post
9/13/2015 4:10 PM

I dummy-corded Kifaru's next-to-smallest pullout to the tab on the outside/center of the pack.  You can pull this thing out in the dark and find stuff by feel if need be.  The pouch keeps the pullout literally at your fingertips in right behind the zipper.  You have to run the packs zipper pulls to the center to do this as the cord will need to run between them.

New Post
9/13/2015 11:50 PM

I sewed a small loop of paracord to the pack bag side of the interior pocket, to create a sort of "buttonhole", then I sewed a short length of paracord with a cord lock on it to the outside of the interior pocket.  

With this all sewn in place, I then passed the cord lock through the buttonhole and adjust the cord lock taut.  This created a functional closure for me to keep things from falling out of the pocket.

i usually keep a pack cover in that pocket, and sometimes carry a cellphone or a pack of batteries in there.  It also fits the .5 Adventure Medicsl Kit.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/14/2015 8:55 AM

alpendrms wrote:

i usually keep a pack cover in that pocket, and sometimes carry a cellphone or a pack of batteries in there.  It also fits the .5 Adventure Medicsl Kit.

Do you have any advice re: Umlindi pack cover? I like the idea of something reversible blaze/MC like the one you posted about in the sticky.  So far my Googlejitsu hasn't yielded much other than an Eberlestock option that I don't think would quite fit the bill, but maybe I'm wrong.  I'd be most obliged if you or anyone else have advice for something that would be a good fit for the Umlindi - and maybe the attache docked to it?  Also would be curious to hear from anyone that routinely docks these two together, as I think I would really like the urban functionality of the attache with the 3-sided zip-covered PALS section.  Seems like a potential winner both on and off the Umlindi.

Take good care out there.

New Post
9/14/2015 10:11 AM

After trying a variety of things in there I ended with that being the standard place for my first aid kit. Come to think of it I need to try our new kit in there. That allows quick easy access for anyone. Of all the stuff I tried in there I can't remember anything falling out.

Prior to the advent of the Aston, an Umlindi and Attache were my go to for business travel.  They work great together and give you a lot of flexibility.  It ends up being a bit thicker than the Aston, but that is largely due to the extra height of the Aston, but also a bit of design. If you are looking for flexibility and the most general purpose setup, the Umlindi Attache wins in my opinion. Pull the Attache and switch loadout, which is extremely quick with the inserts, and in a couple of minutes you can go from a urban to backcountry load out.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
9/14/2015 12:07 PM

Thanks, everyone. Flexibility is what I like in a pack, so this gives me a lot to think about.

New Post
8/26/2016 4:58 PM

I know this thread is way old but figured it wouldn't hurt to contribute. I recently got a Camelbak Tactical Green/Orange pack cover for the upcoming deer season. It covers the Umlindi perfectly even with my shelter kit on top of the pack. I keep it folded in the pocket against my back. You can view it at http://shop.camelbak.com/tactical-rain-cover/d/1320. I hate the giant camelbak logo but it is what it is I guess. Hope this helps!

New Post
8/26/2016 10:09 PM

I stash my shooting glasses and earplugs in it when I hike down in the woods to where I shoot, keeps them from getting crunched between boxes of ammo. When traveling I keep my chargers for my phone and tablet along with earbuds in it so they are easy to find on the go. A streamlight microstream rides clipped there virtually all the time as well.

The only time anything has fallen out of the pocket was when I had the top open and it decided to take a dive off the bed while I was packing...

New Post
8/28/2016 11:03 AM

[URL=http://s257.photobucket.com/user/jkartzinel/media/IMG_1231.jpg.html]
[/URL]

New Post
8/30/2016 2:14 AM

I keep quite a lot of stuff there: headlamp, flashlight, spork, energy bars and other quick access items like a backup folder or multitool.

New Post
4/28/2017 7:56 PM

alpendrms, would you mind sharing a picture of the 'buttonhole' setup you came up with? 

New Post
4/29/2017 5:55 AM

trapperjay wrote:

alpendrms, would you mind sharing a picture of the 'buttonhole' setup you came up with? 

Well, I gave the Ranger Green / Khaki Umlindi I had to a good friend of mine (Master Tracker Mike Hull), as that I wanted him to have a proper HPG pack for his work, and I still have a Multicam Umlindi.  Plus, I decided that just about anytime I would carry an Umlindi-sized load, I would just carry my Ute, but also have that pack size range covered by my Aston House and Connor.  I am away from home right now but I'll check my MC Umlindi when I get home.  I think I sewed in the same buttonhole mod on that one.  I'll post a photo of it tomorrow.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
4/29/2017 10:21 AM

Thank you! Travel safely.

New Post
4/30/2017 8:15 AM

As requested, here are some photos of the "buttonhole" modification I did on my Umlindi.  This is a very simple and easy to do modification, which gives me a bit more security to keep items stored in the pocket from coming out unless I want them to.  Because of the paracord length, I can still expand the pocket out to its full capacity, but keep the contents securely in place.

I used a small piece of gutted paracord to create the "buttonhole".  I flattened the piece and then sewed it into place on the outside of the pocket using heavy duty nylon thread.  The buttonhole loop is just big enough to allow the cord lock to be pushed through it if I want to open the pocket completely, and just small enough so that the cordlock stays in place securely when pulled taut.

I then took a length of non-gutted paracord (about 10").  This length allows for some room to move the paracord out of the way when I want to insert or remove something from the pocket.  I folded it in half, and then sewed that into place along the inside seam below the zipper on the inside of the pack bag.  

I then fed the two ends of the paracord through the buttonhole loop, attached a cord lock, and then secured the ends with a double overhand knot.  If you don't have a spare cord lock, just use a longer length of paracord, feed just one half through the buttonhole loop, and tie it in place with a simple bow knot or square knot to keep items in the pocket.

As an example, here is the pocket with a small Magpul Daka pouch (minimalist trauma kit) and a .5 AMK first aid kit inside.  The cord lock is pulled taut against the buttonhole loop.  When I pull the cord lock loose toward the ends of the paracord, I can easily have enough slack to remove the contents from the pocket.

New Post
4/30/2017 1:13 PM

That completely makes sense now. I couldn't get my mind wrapped around it without seeing it. I may be back w/ another question or two but I think I'll give it a shot when I find good thread. Thank you again!

New Post
5/5/2017 11:25 AM

My pimped Umlindi

New Post
5/6/2017 4:13 AM

Man that looks great, you sew like a pro. Is the Lindi you everyday carry?

New Post
5/6/2017 3:26 PM

Very nicely done hernando.mauro - great sewing skills. I've often wished they came like that. I've done the paracord buttonhole mod similar to Ken's, but with an actual button. I put the button on the pocketflap and the loop on the pack body; however, I like Ken's mod better with the adjustability of the cordlock.
I'd like to do the toplid mod like yours, but with mesh - similar to what's in some of the Kifaru lids (eg. the Scout).

New Post
5/9/2017 5:17 PM

Ben from Garrison packs does my mods when I pass through Malaysia. I use the lindi as my travel carry-on bag.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi interior open-top pocket uses?Umlindi interior open-top pocket uses?