Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRunners HarnessRunners Harness
Previous

Next
New Post
4/19/2012 12:23 PM

Runners Harness-

From the first little 3 mile jaunt I went on, I have been hooked on this set up.  I have been trying to get out and day hike with the runners harness set up everyday.  I can say this is for sure more than just a running set up.  A few posts down Jloden shows how the two look without the runners harness mod.  The weights of the two balance out nicely.  I can really see uses for the mountain biking and dirt biking communities as well.  It makes an almost vest feel that is extremely stable.  A trail run in the coming days should really show it's merits I hope.  -JoeHayes

THE BELOW POST IS THE ORIGINAL POST.  I AM EDITING THE INITIAL ONE SO WE CAN POST UP PICTURES AT THE BEGINNING OF THE THREAD.

Hello HPG,

There was no mentioning in the latest newsletter of "... a prototype of a running specific Runners Harness ..."  quoted in the Tarahumara Runner's Kit Bag review 

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/22/threadid/1512/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Just curious if this prototype is going into production at all and if so, what is the ETA?

Looks to be a good option to be able to switch the KB and pack harnesses for a single solution.

In the mean time some more pics would be awesome.

Thanks, Michael

New Post
4/19/2012 12:34 PM

the production sample went to Kevin Timm and he posted a review of it here:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/22/threadid/1512/scope/posts/Default.aspx

From there it went to another guy who is currently evaluating it. Kevin wasn't of the opinion that it was a "must have", even for running, so we've held off on getting it into production. We'll see what the second evaluator thinks.

We haven't followed our usual course with the Runner's harness because we don't do that much running ourselves and wanted it to get a good shake out in the hands of guys who would put some honest miles on before pushing it out to production.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/22/2012 6:25 AM

Hello Evan,

Ok, I understand.

From what I read in the review Kevin Timm seemed to be quite positive, though.

Interresting to know if he had a chance to compare the regular harness with the prototype.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for the next prototype review.

Thanks, Michael

New Post
4/24/2012 2:04 PM

Evan,

I've been trail running with the Tara and with the RKB and they both work great seperately.  When I use them together I get some binding under my arm and on the top of my shoulders.  It feels like there's jut too much going on there with both harnesses doubled up.  I think a single harness would be more comfortable.

I hope the runners harness makes it to market, but if it doesn't then I'd like to buy your prototype.

Nathan

New Post
4/24/2012 5:09 PM

That is great feed back. Frankly the more we hear that folks are interested in something like this the more likely it is to make it into production.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/24/2012 5:18 PM

scothill wrote

That is great feed back. Frankly the more we hear that folks are interested in something like this the more likely it is to make it into production.

If it helps any, I would also be interested also. I'm not really a runner, but there have been a few situations I've come across already where a one piece harness would have been preferable to me. I'd have to see the exact details of the Runner's Harness design but I'm almost positive I'd be down for one to swap in and out with my Tara & Highlander when using the Kit Bag.

New Post
4/24/2012 5:26 PM

RockChucker30 wrote

I've been trail running with the Tara and with the RKB and they both work great seperately.  When I use them together I get some binding under my arm and on the top of my shoulders.  It feels like there's jut too much going on there with both harnesses doubled up.  I think a single harness would be more comfortable.

As a smaller guy (5' 10" and ~165lbs) I have noticed the same thing with the straps and harnesses from the Tarahumara and Kit Bag sort of bunching up on top of each other. From looking at pics this doesn't seem to be an issue for bigger guys. I've not had any issues to speak of with chafing or anything, but I've not been on any hikes longer than about 10 miles and I was wearing multiple layers at the time. It's definitely noticeable though. You can kind of see what happens here in this pic below. Basically, the buckles on the harness and the buckles on the Kit Bag end up bunched together, and if I wear the Kit Bag up higher the two harnesses can actually get in the way of each other. Like I said, it hasn't been a real issue yet but if I were running with this setup my guess is the buckles rubbing could be more of a problem, so I thought it worth mentioning with respect to a possible runner's harness. 

New Post
4/25/2012 10:01 AM

I like the runners harness a lot. I also like them individually a lot and have found myself most often running with just the Tara. I think, if you permantly want your KB docked to the tara, then the runners harness is the way to go. I like the flexibility of the individual components. I don't live in an area where I feel I need to carry very often, and if I did I would have them together, and then another KB for usage with other packs.

http://www.seekoutside.com | sig added by EH... go check out Kevin's stuff!

New Post
4/25/2012 10:22 PM

Evan sent me the runners harness this week, to put through some more testing. My 1st impression is very good.

I will be doing some comprehensive testing with the harness and also do some comparison of the Tara with the runners harness to the Ultimate Direction SpeedDemon, a vest style pack that I had a lot of input in on the design some 14 years ago. I have used the SpeedDemon (not to be confused with a later pack, that wasn't a vest style of the same name from UD,) for many long adventure runs in all seasons and also used it in a number of ultramarathon races.

My situation is somewhat different from Kevin's, where I have a large grizzly population most anywhere I run. My wife and I, seldom run or hike with out both of us carrying titanium .41 mags. The HPG RKG has been about the only way I have carried since getting it shortly after they were released for sale. I will be paying attention to whether the RKB will be too hot for hard running in hot weather, but so far that hasn't been an issue.

I will post my findings as I gather information on the review thread that Kevin started.

New Post
5/5/2012 2:24 AM

I'm new here, but I just wanted to throw in that I too am interested in the runners harness.  Although I run, I have no plans to run with this item because there is really no need for me personally.  However, I am mostly interested in this for hiking, camping, and other possible adventures where I would like to have the kit up front in a comfortable way. I live in the desert and the thought of adding another harness and another layer of straps, etc is not appealing.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Tara pack, but was waiting for this to purchase at the same time.  Since its still in the testing stages it sounds like we could be waiting a while longer....but just know that you have another buyer here as soon as they are available. 

New Post
5/8/2012 9:12 AM

Quick update on the runners harness. I have done several trail runs and several hikes with the Tara-RKB and the runners harness.

I am very impressed. There is no flopping of either the Tara or the RKB and the tension straps allow some freedom of movement. I did one steep downhill run trhough loose scree and the pack was as though it were a part of me.

Water bottles are easilly accessed and my .41 mag was quick to draw when we jumped a bear. (Didn't need to fire the gun, but it was comforting to have it out quickly)

The pack/kit bag/harness is easy to put on. I just release one Grimlock from the kit bag, slip my left arm  and head through the harness and attach the Grimlock, then adjust the tension.

I'll get some photos of it in action and also do a more complete review including a comparison to the Ultimate Direction pack I have used for years.

I'll end by saying, that given a choice, I would use the runners harness any time I used the Tara.

New Post
5/8/2012 11:01 AM

sounds good, thanks for the update- looking forward to the photos

New Post
5/9/2012 4:58 PM

Slightly Off Topic, but perhaps relevant, given the name of the pack, and the running tilt to the harness. Cabello Blanco (Micah True) known for his participation in the  "Born to Run" book, and also the organizer of the copper canyon ultra, who was known for living with the Tarahumara died during a run in the Gila WIlderness in March. 

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/04/02/rip-micah-true-run-free-man/

New Post
5/10/2012 9:20 AM

Photo of the Tara from a run this morning. I left before the sun was up and was going up a couple thousand feet, so I had a couple jackets, and water bottles, plus standard hiking stuff. It worked excellent. It was sort of my tribute run to Caballo Blanco , as running with the Raramuri in the Copper Canyon Ultra was on my bucket list. I shot a quick photo on the way down.

New Post
5/10/2012 5:48 PM

Fantastic picture Kevin. I'll be there soon. There was a really good article on BBC online about Caballo Blanco a couple of weeks ago.

We've issued purchase orders for production on the Runner's Harnesses in all three standard colors, so they're on the way.

Ed, really looking forward to your comparison with the UD pack when you get the time.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/11/2012 12:41 AM

Great news, the Runner's Harness going into production!

Still looking forward to see pictures where we can see the actual harness and the way it connects to the KB.

Here's a link to the article Evan is refering to on the long-distance runner Michael Randall Hickman aka Caballo Blanco:

m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17600061

New Post
5/11/2012 1:35 AM

Really happy to hear the order is in for these!  My new Tara just arrived today and I spent the last hour re-organizing and transferring all of my stuff to it.  I can't wait to take it on its first urban adventure tomorrow!  I think the Runners Harness is going to be a great addition to it.

Is it safe to assume that all of the kit bags will be able to work with the Runners Harness?

New Post
5/22/2012 1:11 PM

New Post
5/22/2012 4:19 PM

Sputnik wrote

Is it safe to assume that all of the kit bags will be able to work with the Runners Harness?

Still looking for this answer......

New Post
5/22/2012 4:25 PM

Sputnik wrote

Sputnik wrote

Still looking for this answer......

Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner on this one. I missed it myself. Yes the harness will work with all the kit bags.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRunners HarnessRunners Harness