Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGConnor Pocket/Pack...Connor Pocket/Pack...
Previous

Next
New Post
11/25/2015 1:25 PM

I hate to bug you guys about this but I hope that some industrious individual on this forum gets around to taking some pics of the Connor Pocket/Pack docked to the Ute. I have a Ute and I am very interested in the Connor Pocket/Pack, and I get some sense of size and orientation from the pics but I would like to see how it works, loaded with the Ute. Im sure there are a few that have obtained samples and are cooking up some sort of review. I guess I should just be patient.

New Post
11/25/2015 2:54 PM

Isn't that this?

New Post
11/26/2015 10:52 PM

To the Hill Brothers, it's obviously not meant to run a belt but is there at least attachments that would allow running either a recon or prairie belt? At 21" long it should be long enough to transfer load better than the Tara with that setup, especially with the available frame sheet.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
11/27/2015 9:47 AM

I really like the looks of this pack . more options for organization with pouches .

New Post
11/27/2015 12:11 PM

I wonder what the availability will be. Why would you pick this over an Umlindi? Organization?

New Post
11/27/2015 2:40 PM

I'm thinking the two main reasons would be

1. Primarily, its capability to be used as a compression panel on larger packs and/or frames (same case with its predecessor, the highlander).

2. Organizational capability

New Post
11/27/2015 3:25 PM

Just the different ways to organize . I really dig pockets .

New Post
11/27/2015 8:24 PM

That thing looks like the ultimate EDC pack.

New Post
11/28/2015 6:22 AM

This would make a great GHB for me. Im also wondering if there is anyway to attach at least a recon belt

New Post
11/28/2015 7:35 AM

I never could wrap my pea brain around the idea of Highlander as a pack, though it looked like a great compression panel for a big pack. This on the other hand, looks like it might bridge the gap very well. I too hope it will attach to a belt. Can't wait to hear more about it.

New Post
11/28/2015 8:10 AM

I've carried my Highlander as a pack...both belted and unbelted...and it works great for me.  That said, because it is a rather tall, it probably only works well as a pack for those with a long torso.  As a compression panel on my Ute or as a compression panel on my ski pulk, it works like a charm.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
11/28/2015 4:32 PM

The Connor has no real provision for mounting a belt. You might be able to attach it to one via the bottom tabs, but it would be kind of a hack. Why is there no belt provision?

Because it's not big enough to need a belt and putting in the belt panel (like the Aston House) adds cost and some weight we wanted to keep off of it. It's only 4" deep (although the outer pocket is stretchy beyond that). Plus, at 21" with framesheet, stay, and load lifters, this pack rides very nicely belt-less. Think of it as a Tarahumara on steroids with more organization options, or think of it as a mini-Aston House. It has the same footprint as the AH but is only half the thickness and a couple pounds less. Or, think of it as an awesome pocket / compression panel which was (honestly) the primary driver for it.

Compared to the Umlindi - First, it is quite a bit smaller in volume. Second, it is somewhat limited in its water bottle capacity. It doesn't have big wand pockets like the Umlindi that will swallow quart or even 1.5 quart bottles. It has tiny wand pockets, or you can put 16oz bottle holsters on the outside of the wings. Neither of which gives it what the Umlindi has. Third, the Umlindi has more expansion capacity by way of a large top compression sack. And a back pocket for that matter. You *can* put a compression sack on the back of the Connor, but it's still not going to be the hauler that the Umlindi is, even if we had plumbed it for a belt.

We'll see how folks end up using this. For me, it's the pocket I've been wanting for my Ute for a couple years now, right down to sock drying pockets. As a pack, I think it replaces my Tarahumara completely. It Mountain Bikes a larger than Tara load really well, but it is nice and svelte for urban or frontcountry use. In a pinch, you can plus it up by throwing stuff on the back or underneath in a way that the Tara won't support. It will also make a very nice pack for canyon travel or rock climbing. True canyoneering packs are dry bags, but for dry routes this thing would be very nice.

Remember, you can always still wear a belt with it if you want to add belt order kit to your loadout (like belt mounted bottle holsters). In that way, I think a Connor with pack kit plus a Recon Belt and Kit Bag makes for a very versatile loadout that doesn't require any re-rigging at all to mix and match the components.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
11/28/2015 10:01 PM

Thanks Evan, that clears up quite a bit. The pack looks bigger in the pictures than you describe, so my first thought was about attaching a belt. I should have clarified above that at 5'9" my Tara rides just right in the small of my back, and the Highlander was longer which would not have worked too well for me. Alpendrms nailed it. If I understand right the Connor is longer, but has more ability to adjust the harness, which would nullify that issue. I guess my only real question is how does the Connor carry without the framesheet/stay?

New Post
12/2/2015 8:18 PM

When I saw the connor, I almost injured my arm going for my wallet...only to find out they do not have any in stock. This looks like the best design I have seen in a long while, any idea how long the wait will be until they are in stock? Thanks in advance for a realistic pack that looks like it will have a wide range of flexibility.

New Post
12/2/2015 8:28 PM

On the connor stay pocket, will it hold a trapper like the tara will?

New Post
12/3/2015 11:46 AM

on the trapper Q - maybe but not super awesome. Better off capturing under the rear wings I think. We're pushing hard to have all three colors in stock before Christmas.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/3/2015 1:05 PM

it looks like a winner. Glad to have the lash tabs on bottom, are there 2 or 4 lash points on bottom?

New Post
12/3/2015 2:08 PM

dual sewn in straps, plus the tabs for use as a compression pocket.

New Post
12/4/2015 2:43 PM

ramoniac wrote:
I'm thinking the two main reasons would be

1. Primarily, its capability to be used as a compression panel on larger packs and/or frames (same case with its predecessor, the highlander).

2. Organizational capability

On a Kifaru Longhunter frame, with a load shelf, as a compression panel.  A treestand hunter could hang this on a screw-in hook off to the side and have calls/etc at his fingertips.  The Longhunter would carry a stand/climbing sticks in and out of and of course quartered game

New Post
12/5/2015 5:27 PM

This should fill multiple roles for a lot of uses, edc, bushcraft, sere/ e&e, hunting and ...fly fishing. Looking forward to seeing how well it takes a fly rod, a trapper and a wool mummy bag. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGConnor Pocket/Pack...Connor Pocket/Pack...