Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGM2016 Buttpack: A Versatility & Capacity Multiplier.M2016 Buttpack: A Versatility & Capacity Multiplier.
Previous

Next
New Post
10/7/2016 9:50 AM

Got my hands on the new HPG M2016 Buttpack a few days ago, and since its arrival I have been playing around with it pretty much every day.  What a great new product!  I am going to be doing a few days of Tracker training next week with my good friend Mike Hull (also a buddy of the Hill bros and Nick Boyle).  During that training I plan on using the new M2016 every day in one way or another....stand alone on a Prairie Belt, running it with a Tarapocket & Pocket Harness above it, and docked to the top of my Ute.  I'm also going to carry it on my PB with a Mountain Serape strapped to the top of it inside an 812 Stuff Sack.  I'll post up some photos for folks to check out during my little test hikes.  I have every confidence it is going to prove to be a really versatile and handy addition.

I also did a bit of math to capture some numbers regarding just how the M2016 figures into the mix for building capacity to an existing pack.  As an example, if we look at the largest of HPG's packs....my big bear qui-Ya, and determine the capacity of it using the 1.7 multiplier on the product page, this equals 6,018 cubic inches.  No doubt that it falls squarely into the "load monster" category...but that is often what we want for a full-on winter backcountry trip.  So, I then looked at the capacity of my Ute, coming in at 3,672 ci, again using the 1.7 factor meant for larger packs.  Now, if I add the M2016 using the multiplier of 1.5 (for smaller packs), it equals 462 ci.  That would take the Ute + the M2016 up to a total of 4,134 ci.  Not bad at all...especially in a configuration where one might want the pack profile to be slender side-to-side, but a bit taller.  A backcountry foray where there is skiing, climbing, or tight trees and terrain comes to mind.

But....if we look at the Ute + the M2016 and one of these other options, we can now add reasonable capacity that will still carry just fine, and the total package gets closer to qui-Ya level.  Well, not quite...but one of these set-ups using the Ute as the base pack does offer a nice, versatile rig for backcountry adventures virtually year-round.  Those of us that own the Ute already know that it fills the role of a winter pack very well all on its own.  Here are some numbers to look at when the Connor Pack / Pocket, the Tarapocket, and the Palspocket are added to the mix, along with the new M2016 Buttpack.  I used the 1.5 multiplier for all of the add-on pockets.

Ute + M2016 + Connor = 5,520 ci

Ute + M2016 + Tarapocket = 5,052 ci

Ute + M2016 + Palspocket = 4,822 ci

I just figured that folks here on the HPG Forum would like to examine these numbers to sort of conceptualize how the new M2016 can play a significant role in rounding out one's pack configurations and at the same time provides a great "grab & go" option for side hikes from a camp, or even as an EDC option.  I'm very happy to have one, and I'm looking forward to using it for many applications, both here in the States as well as overseas!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/7/2016 11:35 AM

Awesome! Looking forward to getting mine. In my head, I keep thinking that recon harness, recon kit, recon belt + m2016 could be a great lightweight system for shorter jaunts - hiking, scouting, hunting, etc.

New Post
10/7/2016 6:34 PM

mc wrote:
Awesome! Looking forward to getting mine. In my head, I keep thinking that recon harness, recon kit, recon belt + m2016 could be a great lightweight system for shorter jaunts - hiking, scouting, hunting, etc.

That sounds like it could be a pretty sweet rig.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/13/2016 12:08 PM

Looking forward to this!

New Post
10/13/2016 4:49 PM

I as well, thanks in advance to Alpenderms. I appreciate his contribution to these forums.

New Post
10/13/2016 7:04 PM

Hellbilly wrote:
I as well, thanks in advance to Alpenderms. I appreciate his contribution to these forums.

Many thanks right back at ya!!  Always glad to hopefully help inform and assist somehow.  I'm out with a bunch of my fellow SF boys on our final evening of a few days of Tracking training with my buddy Mike Hull (Master Tracker).  I've been wearing the M2016 every day and it has been outstanding.

New Post
10/17/2016 11:46 AM

I am eagerly awaiting pictures and evaluation of this pack. Looking forward to getting one and trying it out!

New Post
10/17/2016 12:28 PM

Just got done with a week of Tracker Training with our friend Mike Hull down in Faber, VA.  I used the M2016 every day down there.  Just for the heck of it, I docked the top of the Buttpack to the bottom tabs on a Tarapocket with a Pocket Harness.  It rode pretty well like this for me, but I've got a long torso, so that may be a comfort factor with folks that have shorter torsos.  Inside the M2016, I carried an Adventure Medical Kits .7 model, a couple granola bars, and a Vortex monocular.  I was nowhere near capacity for the interior space.  On the side 6/12 grid sections, I attached a small HPG GP pouch to each side.  Inside these, I carried a small Leupold Rangefinder and a Kestrel Windmeter.  I also used the Prairie Belt from my Ute. The top straps are plenty long enough to secure a jacket underneath, and even long enough to carry a Mountain Serape inside of an 812 stuff sack.  The bottom straps are long enough for a jacket or similar low-bulk item underneath.  I don't think I would want to carry anything bulky underneath the Buttpack, as that it would hang too low.  This is likely a good spot to horizontally attach a knife sheath or mag pouch, though.  During all-day wear, it felt really good.  The M2016 never felt like it was hanging weird or sagging....which was often a problem with the old military version.  Having my Tarapocket above it posed no issues for me, so if others had that as a concern...there you go.  I did not have a whole bunch of stuff in the Tarapocket...just my Windcheater and a spare water bottle.

Here are some photos of how I've been using it, thus far:

These photos show the M2016 on my Prairie Belt, with the Tarapocket docked to it.  I just ordered a Recon Harness to try it out with that, too.

I took the side release buckles off of the top straps and replaced them with a pair of G-hooks I had on hand in order to allow me to quickly attach / detach the M2016 from the top of my Ute.  This also made for quick docking with the Tarapocket.  In this photo, I attached the G-hooks running from the M2016 top straps straight into the tabs at the top of the Alpine Panel Evan made for me last year.  They can also hook directly into the tabs on the base pack, or any of the other add-on compression pockets like a Tara or Palspocket.  The side release buckles are the repair style ones, so those can also be used in this fashion to attach to tabs, just not as quickly.

I attached the bottom straps, which already come with G-hooks, directly into the tabs on the suspension side of my Ute.  Evan designed the M2016 so that its shape would follow the contour of the top lid of HPG packs....where the zippered top part of the Buttpack would face the outside of the base pack.  This is also the side where the top straps (fitted with side release buckles) would attach to a compression pocket, or the top tabs on the base pack to secure it in place.  That said, if the end user were to turn the Buttpack around so that the top straps now face the suspension side of the pack, one could then attach the male end of the side release buckles directly into the female end side release buckles on the base pack, once the original top straps were removed, as with the Ute or qui-Ya.

I also decided to go ahead and extend the Delta straps from the sides of the M2016 down to the tabs at the top horizontal compression straps on my Ute.  This provides even more compression of a load....good for things like skiing with the M2016 on top of a base pack.  Otherwise, I don't think these would need to be attached, as that the M2016 is really secure just using the top and bottom straps.

I plan on using this M2016 a whole bunch more during the coming weeks.  It's been a long awaited item, and I'm really happy with it!

New Post
10/18/2016 4:00 PM

I made one additional modification to how the straps are routed on my M2016.  I took the side release buckles that came with it and attached them to the bottom tabs that are closest to the frame sheet.  I then flipped the straps around and attached the G-hooks to the outer tabs on the bottom.  I outfitted the top straps with G-hooks I had.  Now, the male end of the side release buckles connect directly into the female ends that are already on top of my Ute.  The M2016 sits on top of the pack as per Evan's design.  In this way, the top of the Ute can be accessed quickly and easily, and the entire Buttpack can be detached quick to go into Buttpack mode on a Prairie or Recon Belt.

This photo shows the top of my Ute, and how I now have the side release buckles attached.  This works the best for my applications of the M2016.

New Post
10/19/2016 3:42 AM

These look amazing and super useful !

New Post
11/1/2016 6:23 PM

I'm excited about this piece of kit. I've been searching for something like this for hunting. I currently use my kit bag, but this more or less supports my precision rifle and it can only fit so much before it becomes too bulky thus defeating its purpose. For this butt pack I intend to use it in conjunction with my kit bag set up for a, just as you described it, "capacity multiplier". Also as a grab and go for when I'm poking around and don't plan on sitting over my precision rifle. I don't like humping a pack unless its a bivouac hunt.

This idea for a simple butt pack stemmed from my old mans hunting seat. Its a small padded seat that I believe can be inflated (not so much these days) and has a small zipper pocket allowing you keep not much more than a small pair of gloves and beanie. You simply wear it around your waste via nylon strap and plastic buckles. I searched but they don't seem to make these anymore. I need more sustainability anyway, for binos, pog bait and the other crap that usually clutters my pockets.

The fact that the M2016s versatility extends farther and can be used in conjunction with a lot of different packs and applications is a huge bonus. It appears a hunting seat can easily be tucked between the pals panel and body of pack.

My question is there any way a simple 2-4" width nylon belt/strap with buckles could be attached? I would like to fabricate something a little more stable than it flopping around in the large hook and loop attachment sleeve. Something permanent that could roll up and stow in the pack or as a quick attach to packs/frames. I don't want to get into a big stiff bulky battle belt type setup. I would like to fabricate something a little more stable than it flopping around in the large hook and loop attachment sleeve. Also curious if theres any pals or alice type webbing on the rear or it the velcro would be the only attaching option?

To make sense of my ramblings, this was the piece of kit I had my eye on before I stumbled on the M2016:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/firstresponderbag.aspx

Glad I did, HPG gear is the most versatile no frills stuff I've used. Cant get enough. The intimacy that the consumers share with the owners is also refreshing, and shows they strive for perfection in delivering the best gear possible.

New Post
11/2/2016 10:43 AM

dpep:  I think you'll find that the framesheet in the M2016  keeps it from being floppy in any way.  If you want to use some belt other than the Prairie or Recon Belt, or a standard battle belt, maybe look at the stiffer ones like the Rigger Belts made by Ares Gear or 215 Gear.  They use scuba webbing for extra rigidity.  That said, the Recon Belt really isn't bulky at all...only a thin layer of padding, but plenty of support.  Also, the padding in the Prairie Belt can be removed and reduced to a single layer, or zero padding, if desired.  If you're set on a standard belt, maybe just sew a couple small webbing tabs on the sides at appropriate spots, which would then allow you to attach the G-hook delta compression straps that come with the M2016.  These can be pulled taut to suck the pack into your lumbar / pelvis to stabilize the load completely.

New Post
11/2/2016 12:15 PM

It will work with any belt that you can fit under the flap, which means that if you want to run just a piece of webbing you can with no problem. It will just basically slot in to the top of the flaps and ride there. That may or may not position it where you want it on your butt. The other thing I would be careful with, and this is an issue I have with a lot of butt packs, is that the belt not only holds the pack to you, it also stabilizes and supports the weight. To thin a belt (width wise), and the weight will start to cut in as you put more stuff into the pack, and I also find that I have to cinch it a lot tighter to get it to stay tight and not floppy unlike wider belts that support the weight and also nest over your hips to keep it in place. I get where you are coming from, but like in a lot of cases to thin a strap and the weight just isn't supported. If you have a super light load my guess is you would be just fine, but as you add weight I think you would quickly get to the point you wanted something to support the weight and make it ride comfortably. .

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
11/2/2016 7:22 PM

Awesome, thank you both for the replies. I think I've got a few riggers belts kicking around in a green duffel bag somewhere. Would be worth a try, maybe I'll cut one up to ad QD buckles. @alpen, I like your idea of the tabs for hooking the G-hook compression straps to secure the load. Much like you stressed Scot, belt options will depend greatly on the load. Only way to find out is to take it to the field, so I'm sold. Maybe I'll have to pull the trigger on a recon or prairie belt in the future as well. Thanks again, and thank you alpendrms for the excellent preview/review!

New Post
11/2/2016 8:40 PM

dpep wrote:
Awesome, thank you both for the replies. I think I've got a few riggers belts kicking around in a green duffel bag somewhere. Would be worth a try, maybe I'll cut one up to ad QD buckles. @alpen, I like your idea of the tabs for hooking the G-hook compression straps to secure the load. Much like you stressed Scot, belt options will depend greatly on the load. Only way to find out is to take it to the field, so I'm sold. Maybe I'll have to pull the trigger on a recon or prairie belt in the future as well. Thanks again, and thank you alpendrms for the excellent preview/review!

All the best....I am pretty certain you'll love it.

New Post
11/20/2016 7:01 PM

IS there an ETA for the butt pack yet? I'm planning an order and getting kinda antsy. haha

New Post
11/23/2016 11:31 AM

Has anyone put the buttpack on an ol' Alice pack as a top/claymore pack?

New Post
12/3/2016 9:51 PM

If you are after Ranger Green / Khaki you are in luck as of now. Not sure about stock numbers, but I've just ordered mine.

New Post
12/5/2016 4:04 AM

Digger wrote:

If you are after Ranger Green / Khaki you are in luck as of now. Not sure about stock numbers, but I've just ordered mine.

I think you will love it.  I've found several uses for it so far.

New Post
12/6/2016 11:43 PM

Thanks Ken, for the benefit of your experience and systematic demonstration of this kit. I've been waiting for the brothers to release something like this for quite a while. I've actually been using a Tyr Tactical Jungle Butt Pack, as I had it kicking around but it has proven altogether too cumbersome for my intended use. I've got a fair bit of kit now from HPG and all of it has ticked just and only the right boxes.

Not sure with what I'd ever do with the diagonal pals cut panel for though. I might find use for it as I spend more time with the pack. The diagonal cut makes a whole load of sense at any rate.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGM2016 Buttpack: A Versatility & Capacity Multiplier.M2016 Buttpack: A Versatility & Capacity Multiplier.