Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPretty disappointed at my orderPretty disappointed at my order
Previous

Next
New Post
10/2/2017 7:17 PM

I ordered a HEAVY RECON KIT BAG a week ago and it finally came in.

I'm pretty disappointed. I feel like the product I recieved is like a unfinished product. Numerous loss threads and a lot of white markings not taken off during production. I still like the product, I just feel like me paying over $120 for a high quality product, not some cheap made in China knock off product but instead I do feel like I got a quality of a cheap Chinese made low quality product.

I hope not everyone has the same experience as me and not all products from HPG are shipped low quality as mine.

Pictures below for proof.

https://imgur.com/a/IAhNZ

Cheers 

New Post
10/2/2017 10:21 PM

Since you are not satisfied with your purchase, we will send you a return label and issue a refund.

FYI, the white marks are chalk and on some items end up more prominent then others. They are there as pattern references. They come off typically the first time you use the item, or with a bit of water. Removing them from every thing would just drive costs up. Seldom do we hear any complaints. Looking at the threads I don't see any loose ones, just ends sticking out, but when we get it back we will inspect it to make sure.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/3/2017 6:33 AM

Aside from the occasional chalk mark or some normal wear & tear....I have yet to find a blown line of stitching or a failure point on ANY of my HPG products.  I am pretty hard on my gear and I use it in some rough and austere places around the globe.  Hill People Gear products have never failed me....and I am certain I could not say the same for a lot of other gear out there.

Bottom line....HPG offers bombproof stuff and sets the bar for other companies to attain.  Not sure why the OP had such issues, but hope it gets worked out.   

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/3/2017 8:16 AM

I think he just did not know what to expect, and did not expect what he got...

HPG folks seem to be independent DIY types. Cleaning up a few loose threads, sealing a couple seams, burning in a stove or breaking in a barrel are ordinary and expected. Buy a pack from REI or Cabelas and all the threads and reference marks will have been cleaned up, but it will not provide the same service.

New Post
10/3/2017 8:59 AM

alpendrms wrote:

Bottom line....HPG offers bombproof stuff and sets the bar for other companies to attain.  Not sure why the OP had such issues, but hope it gets worked out.   

+1

I've known the Hills and have used their gear before they started the company.  They are standup guys making solid gear, and they will make it right with the OP.  I don't use it as hard as Alpendrms, but my gear has been used hard in the mountains of Idaho, Colorado and Washington with never a problem.

Perhaps the OP should focus on what is truly important i.e. quality of design, construction and materials.  As an example when I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof one of my several jobs was commanding a nuclear weapons guard force just a few miles from the former East German border.  I didn't care too much about how shiny their boots and belt buckles were (Yes, Ken..that long ago), but I cared a lot about how clean their weapons were, how well they understood their guard orders and how alert they were.  Food for thought.

New Post
10/3/2017 9:54 AM

I've been using gear made by HPG, Kifaru, and other manufacturers in that price range and niche for about a decade. At some point, you're going to run into an item with a flaw that has slipped by the QC person. Statistically, it's bound to happen. But with a good company (like HPG), these things don't happen often, and when they do, the company makes it right. When I clicked on this thread, I was expecting to see an example of that sort of thing that slipped by QC. I've got to echo Scott's statement, based on those photos, I'd say the kit bag looks a-ok.

New Post
10/3/2017 1:02 PM

The chalk marks on my 4 kit bags all came off after one or two uses. None of them have come unstitched or anything in the last few years that i've been using them. My Connor and Ute have been awesome as well.

I guess I've never inspected closely enough to need a macro lens, but it's awesome that Scot immediately offered a refund. I've ordered items before where they weren't right and the company said "too bad".

New Post
10/3/2017 2:24 PM

I have an assortment of HPG gear. Everything has been bomber except for my Ute. I contacted HPG to determine if it was just user error and they had a replacement in the mail immediately -- no waiting for me to send it back, they shipped a new pack and included a return label for the old one.

Things go wrong sometimes but you cannot improve on their customer service. 

New Post
10/3/2017 9:02 PM

Just curious as to whether you contacted HPG directly prior to making this your first post? I am VERY sure (as Scot has already shown) that they would have addressed your concerns quickly. There are ways to handle things. This is not the best.

New Post
10/3/2017 9:50 PM

Harryhkh wrote:

I ordered a HEAVY RECON KIT BAG a week ago and it finally came in.

I'm pretty disappointed. I feel like the product I recieved is like a unfinished product. Numerous loss threads and a lot of white markings not taken off during production. I still like the product, I just feel like me paying over $120 for a high quality product, not some cheap made in China knock off product but instead I do feel like I got a quality of a cheap Chinese made low quality product.

I hope not everyone has the same experience as me and not all products from HPG are shipped low quality as mine.

Pictures below for proof.

https://imgur.com/a/IAhNZ

Cheers 

This has all the hallmarks of a seagull post, but here goes:

I'm curious what outdoor equipment companies have met your expectations?

New Post
10/7/2017 2:06 PM

If these are the things that you feel are such let downs (very minor cosmetic...I wouldn’t even call them flaws), you’re going to be disappointed at every turn.

Chalk marks and a couple of not trimmed down to the base threads are what you’re that upset about? Dude.

New Post
10/7/2017 5:10 PM

Nothing wrong with the kit bag. Just clip a loose thread if it's that bothersome. Ive been through my fair share of pack brands and you will be hard pressed to find one better than HPG.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPretty disappointed at my orderPretty disappointed at my order