Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPG2 packs to rule them all2 packs to rule them all
Previous

Next
New Post
11/18/2017 5:19 PM

New to Hill People Gear and first post. So, I’ve decided to sell off everything else and go with hpg exclusively. I’d like to buy 2-3 packs to use for all my needs.

I live in Calgary Alberta and have to deal with serious elevation changes and weather in the mountains. What 2/3 packs would you recommend for day hikes and multi day trips in the mountains for all seasons?

thanks for and advise,

John

New Post
11/18/2017 9:15 PM

I am sure others with more experience will chime in but here is the first thought that came to mind for me. Kit bag for immediate use stuff and stuff you need to access quickly. A Connor pack for light day trips and a Qui Ya for multi day trips. I’m 99% sure the Connor will also attach to that pack as a pocket to add more volume and maybe a bit of organization. Banff is an absolutely beautiful place. 

New Post
11/19/2017 7:57 AM

Welcome. I was in much the same position a year ago. After much experimentation I settled on a Ute and a Tara, with an OG V2 Kit Bag. I still have another pack or two but the Ute/Tara combo are by far my most versatile core items. Most of my other equipment is firmly in the LW or UL weight range, so the Ute w/Tara or Palspocket docked to the rear, and M2016 on top when necessary, handles 5-10 days of food w/ 3 season kit (freezing or a little below), or 3-4 days with winter kit (down to -20F or so). Plan on less volume for food if your sleep/shelter items are bulkier. Meanwhile, the Tara & KB covers dayhikes, trail runs & a convenient catch-all for truck camping. As I mentioned, the M2016 would make a worthwhile addition down the road. I like mine for day hunts. I could envision a similar approach with Connor & Qui-Ya, but I prefer light and compact with minimal built-in organization. Color coded stuffsacks save a lot of weight over a panel of molle pouches. A Tara or Aston Insert Panel achieves much the same advantage as the Connor, but is removable.

I don't think you can go wrong really. When maximum versatility is the goal, every combo will have a few sweet spots along the spectrum, and a few awkward ones. Happily the HPG lineup is as seamless and modular as it gets. Best of luck.

New Post
11/19/2017 2:27 PM

In your location, and assuming a more frequent need for heavier layers, I would go with an Umlindi for day trips and a Qui-ya for multi-day trips. The Umlindi can -- or can be made to carry all you would need for a day, while the Qui-ya is a no compromise multi-day pack.

New Post
11/20/2017 9:34 AM

John - knowing that area pretty well, I would echo what CCH said. I have used my Lindi with PALS Pocket in your neck of the woods, great for one day. I do not personally own a Qui-Ya, I utilize a Ute with a Highlander as a back pocket/compression panel and did not have a Ute when I lived in AB. Along with my Recon Kit Bag, Serape and Windcheater, I have never been let down with my HPG gear. You'll love it.

New Post
11/28/2017 7:06 PM

I'd have to go with the new Aston House Back Country and Qui-ya. Throw a Terapocket or Palspocket on for good measure and maybe a Kit Bag...

New Post
12/3/2017 7:26 AM

I’d like to say I’d go with a qui-Ya and Connor, but I don’t own either yet. Seems like a solid combo to me.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPG2 packs to rule them all2 packs to rule them all