Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGExternal frame packExternal frame pack
Previous

Next
New Post
3/19/2018 9:21 PM

Been waiting for years and very disappointed this never happened. 

New Post
3/20/2018 6:21 AM

bedgood42 wrote:

Been waiting for years and very disappointed this never happened. 

Us too

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/20/2018 7:15 AM

We are still working on it and the stove, and the other project. Metals is a tough nut to crack.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/28/2018 7:21 PM

What sort of properties (besides weight) are you looking for?  
Guys who build experimental aircraft have all kinds of solutions, options.  (I attend EAA in Oshkosh, WI regularly and every sort of extruded metal you can think of is on display)
I can ask around, put my engineering hat back on.   But if I was looking for frame material that is light weight, etc. I'd start looking at what guys who build homebuilt aircraft are using/selling.  Seen some tubing that was oval shaped as well, super light, oriented the right way, could flex where you need and be ridiged where you don't need it.

New Post
3/30/2018 11:57 AM

I am interested in a plastic external frame pack, like the Outdoorsmans pack with your belt. In fact, as soon as the coyote Prairie Belts are in stock (fingers crossed) I am going to make a mash up with my Outdoorsmans pack. My plan is to have it done in August so I can test it a bit before elk season opens at the end of September/October.

So, about those coyote Prairie Belts...

Please and thank you.

New Post
3/30/2018 12:00 PM

I am not aware of any plans to do coyote Prairie Belts. As always if you are interested in something emails us and let us know.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/30/2018 2:54 PM

What's the advantage of an external frame pack? Load carriage requirements are defined by the ability to put the weight into the lumbar/pelvis, correct? If a pack does that efficiently, what's the difference between external and internal frames from a functional perspective?

I just got my Ute and it is *sooooo* much more comfortable with 70 lbs than the high-end external frame pack I ordered literally hours before I discovered HPG. That other pack is starting to look like a very expensive mistake...

New Post
3/30/2018 3:25 PM

I sent the email already!

New Post
3/30/2018 3:51 PM

For me, the advantage of the external frame pack, and specifically the Outdoorsman's frame, is the flex built into the frame material plus the ability to lash bloody game bags to the frame and not have my main pack bag soaked in blood. Blood washes out to be sure, but it is a safety concern when hiking in areas with other apex predators. Also, after my first trip out, I leave the bag behind at the trailhead/truck, and just hike meat on the remaining laps, with just a palspocket carrying emergency and water supplies. The external frame also allows me to lash waterproof/dry bags on instead of a main bag, if I know it will be a wet adventure. There are pros and cons to both, and sometimes, load carriage is not the only factor in a mission. The external frame excels at some tasks and an internal frame excels at others. The best of both worlds is the Outdoorman's frame with the HPG Prairie Belt. The Outdoorsman's belt lacks sufficient padding when the loads top 85lbs, and the padding in the belt squeaks with almost every step when walking under heavy load, which is not ideal in a hunting pack...and even after the kill, when sound control isn't as important, the squeaking drives me crazy (er). When I am not worried about blood, hiking meat out, or days of rain and moisture, the HPG packs are a dream.

New Post
3/31/2018 5:16 PM

Not as many people need externals as think they do. Mtndragon mentions some cases where an external could be helpful.

Really, the biggest difference is that an external frame allows you to "unitize" a sloppy or ungainly load so it can be efficiently landed in the lumbar. Even with an internal that has good compression, the user has to use a little bit of expertise to properly unitize the load. The other difference is that I couldn't manage to make an internal any wider than 12" without starting to get some rounding during unitizing (compressing). Externals are mostly 14" wide. That gives you a whole lot more volume from the get go.

None of the externals on the market that I'm aware of do a good job of landing the load in the lumbar. So you're better off with one of our internals than any of the externals. An external that actually lands the load in the lumbar (which my design does in a way that none ever has) is a killer setup for backcountry freighting.

I Beam - design and material choices aren't the hold up, reliable production is. Plus, there's always a marriage of design and a production facility's capabilities. It's not like CAD parts where one guy's production capability is pretty much the same as another's.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/2/2018 9:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have dreams of extended backcountry expeditions, but realistically I think the Ute will take me farther than I'll be able to go any time in the near future. I'm intrigued by the external pack now, though, as a study in design and engineering, if nothing else.

New Post
4/2/2018 11:22 PM

I've got a coyote prarie belt if you want send me a e-mail here: olesfjason@gmail.com

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGExternal frame packExternal frame pack