Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhich Pack?Which Pack?
Previous

Next
New Post
6/12/2018 3:43 PM

So I am driving myself a little nuts trying to figure out the best pack for me.    I have been reading thread after thread trying to short through all the information available on the forums and on video reviews of the packs.  

First things first I am a total neophyte / noob when it comes to traditional back packing.   What little I did was when I was younger with ill-fitting ALICE packs (I am 6’2” with a longer than avg. torso.)  

In general, I am thinking of light outdoor hikes, and maybe fair-weather overnights (likely supplemented by close vehicle proximity and more experienced friends.)   It is also possible the pack maybe used as a travel bag for some business trips, and an emergency bag for road trips.  (i.e. not trying to thru hike the AT.)

I am only going to be able to afford one, so I need to get the most versatility, etc.

Currently I am leaning to the Umlindi with a recon belt.     To which I could later add an Aston pocket and butt pack should I need more space / organization. 

But the Ute, and Aston House, and Aston house BC, have their pluses too.  

The Aston clearly has an organizational advantage but not sure I need all that.  

The Ute and Umlindi appeal to me because of the simplicity and I like the butt pack as a top pocket.

Can the Aston pocket be used with the M2016 butt pack as a top pocket??

The fitting and adjusting of the Ute seem a little more difficult than the umlindi but cleary give an ergonomic advantage interms of load. 

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this but did not know where.

New Post
6/12/2018 4:00 PM

I think you are on the right rack given your stated needs. The Umlindi and Ute are still our two most versatile packs. They are both simple, comfortable, and scalable, so they can be what you want them to be. The Ute has the overnight side of things, whereas the Umlindi is the one if the primary use is for day trips and travel. The pack that you will find on Evan and I's back the most is an Umlindi historically with a Palspocket and now with the Admin for Evan. I have been bouncing back and forth between the Admin and Pals pockets. The Aston House is excellent for what it is designed for, but all that organization comes at a cost. It is a specialty pack and is not what I would recommend for general use, especially given your goals. As to the Aston BC, personally, I am just not a fan of panel loaders. Sure they allow access to everything in them without unpacking, but on the flip side they are not as easy to load as the top loader and are more finicky about compression. I also don't find they carry as well as top loaders. For those who like the panel loader and the big, in my opinion, trade offs they have then it is a good choice, but I just think the Umlindi and Ute pack easier and carry better.

Really it comes down to what your are looking to carry. More stuff go Ute less stuff go Umlindi. My preferred setup for regular day use is an Umlindi, Prairie Belt (fits my hips better), and Palspocket. That setup has proven time and again to have the versatility that I want, capacity that I am looking for most of the year, in a compact comfortable pack. If I was not part of HPG and was starting out with a blank slate, I would have the Umlindi setup described above and a qui-Ya. I would add an Admin Pocket to the pile, and maybe a Connor Pocket, but honestly I would most likely just have a 2nd PalsPocket. Between those two packs and pockets I could cover everything I want to do with packs, by adding pockets to the Umlindi and cinching down the qui-Y as needed.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/15/2018 1:25 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Currently I see the umlindi is only available in foliage /manatee, the prairie belt (PB) is available in ranger, and foliage grey / green.
-Which matches best??
-I have a 38/40 waist (depending on brand of jeans) will 36+ fit, or do I have to wait for a larger size?

When will the m2016 butt pack be back in stock?
Will the M2016 work as a top pocket with the aston pocket / organizer? what about pals pocket?

New Post
6/17/2018 11:46 AM

We get shipments weekly from First Spear and Umlindis go fast. If you want everything to match you will need to go with foliage/manatee pack and foliage belt. Ranger Green fabric is currently unavailable, so we won't have any more ranger green Umlindis for awhile. That being said we are filling in with special runs.

The 36+ belt is the one you want.

I am not sure what you are asking. The M2016 will work as a top pocket on the Umlindi, but it won't work as a top pocket for the Aston Pocket or PalsPocket. However, if you are asking can you use the M2016 as a top pocket on the Umlindi and use either an Aston or PalsPocket on the front of the Umlindi too, then the answer is yes both work on the Umlindi when the M2016 is used as a top pocket.

In order to be notified of when something is back in stock emails us at info@hillpeoplegear.com and ask to be on the notification list for that specific item and color. Again we are constantly getting stuff in and selling it.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/18/2018 11:56 AM

" if you are asking can you use the M2016 as a top pocket on the Umlindi and use either an Aston or PalsPocket on the front of the Umlindi too, then the answer is yes both work on the Umlindi when the M2016 is used as a top pocket."

This is what I wanted to know....
Thanks!!

New Post
6/18/2018 12:47 PM

" if you are asking can you use the M2016 as a top pocket on the Umlindi and use either an Aston or PalsPocket on the front of the Umlindi too, then the answer is yes both work on the Umlindi when the M2016 is used as a top pocket."

This is the exact setup I have - Umlindi/M2016/PALSpocket and it works great. Super versatile.

Even more so if you add a Recon or Prairie Belt into the mix...

New Post
Yesterday @ 1:39 PM

That is exactly what I am looking to set up (with the belt), any pictures?

New Post
Yesterday @ 8:20 PM

nomad77 wrote:
That is exactly what I am looking to set up (with the belt), any pictures?

No, I don't have any good pics of the whole setup together. But I might be able to take some this weekend. Just know that it all works awesome together, and is super modular. You won't be disappointed! 

New Post
Yesterday @ 8:51 PM

Smithhammer nails it. I have the same rig with the PB and it does a lot of good stuff. I have bigger packs as well, but I always gravitate to the Umlindi if at all possible. It just flat works.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhich Pack?Which Pack?