Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGSleeping pads in a Tarahumara pocket. Sleeping pads in a Tarahumara pocket.
Previous

Next
New Post
11/27/2018 5:30 PM

I'm purchasing a Tarahumara this week and was trying to get my pack set up, along with a 717 stuff sack and a Kifaru pod it will be used as an ultralight overnight bag. I'm finishing up my sleep setup and came to a dilemma, does any one know of a sleep pad like the Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol will fit into the pocket that sits between the pack and your body, looking at the measurements of both the pack and the sleeping pad the only potential issue I see is their may be a few inches of sleep pad that sticks out the of the top. Just wondering if anyone could confirm whether or not this would work? 

New Post
11/29/2018 11:54 AM

Don't know if that would work, but the smallest pack of ours that I would use for ultralight overnighters is a belted Umlindi. You don't have to fill it and it's going to be WAY more comfortable and load capable than a Tarahumara with a similar load. FWIW, anything over 20lbs and I really prefer to have it on my pelvis (belted) than on my shoulders.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/2/2018 10:46 PM

I've fit a Klymit pad folded flat inside the pocket in the backside of the Tara, with a quilt in a Kifaru pod strapped underneath. It works, but like Evan suggested, it would have to be a really light overnight kit. The Umlindi would be a better choice, but if the Tara is your only option, and you really want to make it work, you may as well try it and see how it goes. At the very least, I would also have a Kit bag for additional capacity.

New Post
12/4/2018 12:30 AM

You could try one of the German army surplus folding sleep mats.

New Post
12/9/2018 9:00 AM

DiggerDingo wrote:
You could try one of the German army surplus folding sleep mats.

Too big, won't fit. I have a Tara and a couple of those pads.

When folded, the German army pad mostly fills the slot pocket inside my Spece Ops Recon Ruck, which is an improved medium ALICE pack.

Dave Markowitz

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGSleeping pads in a Tarahumara pocket. Sleeping pads in a Tarahumara pocket.