Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGDirect-attach kit bag to complement a packDirect-attach kit bag to complement a pack
Previous

Next
New Post
7/20/2019 7:47 PM

I am sure this has been asked before, but I am not very good at searching

Is it possible to reduce the number of flappy bits by directly attaching a kit bag to replace the chest portion of one of the lighter packs?

I have a Tara and a kit bag (from a couple of years ago) but the various straps are different widths and do not line up.

My first application is fishing, so the waders already contribute chest/shoulder/back clutter.    Second application is light hiking and pre-hunting-season scouting.

Maybe it is a dumb idea, and there is a smarter way to overlap straps.  I'm open to suggestions

New Post
8/1/2019 6:10 AM

I got my KB yesterday and registered just now to ask this question. I have an Osprey pack, and my HPG Kit Bag came with the lifter straps. Those work great. The lowest point on the Osprey pack's shoulder straps is pretty high, so I have them adjusted all the way out, but it puts the KB right where I want it. The trouble I have is that the KB sewn top strap ends are up under the backpack shoulder straps, making it uncomfortable with any load.

With the lifter straps, I can do without the KB shoulder straps, which got me thinking maybe I could just take off the KB harness. But I still need the side support on the KB. If I had the webbing and hardware, I could connect the KB side straps to the 1" webbing on the Osprey. So I guess I'm looking for input on that, whether anyone's done it, and what they used.

New Post
8/1/2019 6:49 AM

Follow-up... I think if I could get something like the 5.11 Rush Tier straps that had a 1.5" split connector on one end for the KB loops, that would do what I need.

I'd probably either find a way to use the side buckles on the KB or snap them off in favor of the split buckles.

New Post
8/1/2019 7:18 AM

People do it just using the lifters. That being saud the whole point us being able to drop you pack and have your kit bag with you. Have you tried just not tucking the ends under the shoulder straps? Also if you are running a belted pack there shouodn't be enough weight on your shoulder harness it matters.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/1/2019 8:13 AM

scothill wrote:
People do it just using the lifters. That being saud the whole point us being able to drop you pack and have your kit bag with you. Have you tried just not tucking the ends under the shoulder straps? Also if you are running a belted pack there shouodn't be enough weight on your shoulder harness it matters.

Ah, well, I guess I missed the point. I haven't tried pulling the ends of the KB straps out, no, but I will. I may even trim them a little, although that's gotten me in trouble before.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGDirect-attach kit bag to complement a packDirect-attach kit bag to complement a pack