Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie BeltPrairie Belt
Previous

Next
New Post
10/15/2012 6:58 PM

Just got the production sample back so it's a good time to post some pictures and introduce it:

• Can be used stand alone (what is now called a battle belt) or as a pack belt. It will go on any pack that either secures the belt using the standard 6" outside to outside stay spacing, or secures the belt underneath a lumbar pad.

• delta and lower stabilizer straps are easy to unhook so they can stay with the pack when you want to use the Prairie Belt stand alone
  • lower stabilizers can either be hooked to the PALS, or if you have pouches on the PALS, they can be hooked wherever you can find purchase to the outsides of the pouches, or not used at all

• The accessory straps that come with the Prairie Belt can be used to attach it to an HPG shoulder harness (available separately) for a full belt and suspenders setup.

• lumbar area permanently contains 1/4" closed cell foam and a thin sheet of plastic at the back for structure
  • inner lumbar has domestic equivalent hypalon so it seats well in stand alone mode
  • waist pad areas are accessible via velcro closure compartments so you can remove the pads or put in pads of different densities or thicknesses

• Prairie Belt includes 1/4" closed cell inserts and dual density inserts consisting of 1/4" closed cell on the outside and 1/2" of a foam something like a closed cell version of memory foam.

• cordage in lumbar area works well for strapping a jacket under but disappears when the Prairie Belt is used with a pack.
  • the little hypalon loops hanging below the PALS are for putting in a climbing rack using the cord inside of poly tubing method of climbing harnesses.
  • the hypalon keepers at front and back of the belt as well as between the PALS rows are for threading in 1" tubular climbing webbing that can be used for a basic safety harness. there may be a climbing kit in the future with full sit harness, but for now anyone who wants to use the belt in this way already sees how it can be properly rigged or they don't have any business messing with it.

Pricing isn't available yet. The Praire Belt will be available on its own before the Ute pack is available. The Ute pack will include the Prairie Belt at a discounted price. If you already have a belt you want to use with the Ute, or already have a Prairie Belt, there will be an option to buy the Ute without a belt for less.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/15/2012 7:10 PM

toatally and completely bad ass, no stone left unturn, well done HPG

New Post
10/15/2012 7:15 PM

Outstanding from my persepective.

Great assemblage of tried and true concepts and a solid package.

Well done.

New Post
10/15/2012 7:28 PM

Make em in Coyote and I'll buy one.

New Post
10/15/2012 8:11 PM

Load bearing equipment meet 21st century engineering. Looks great. Can't wait to get my hands on one to use and abuse. 

New Post
10/15/2012 8:37 PM

Looks excellent. I will certainly be picking one up.

It looks like the sample in the pictures is foliage green. Will the production run be available in foliage with coyote hardware, like the photos? I've always liked the look of foliage and coyote, so I'd be all over that! Gotta keep it stylish in the backcountry, you know...

New Post
10/15/2012 9:25 PM

Silly question, but what traditionally is a prairie belt?

http://gunsgearandguystuff.blogspot.com/

New Post
10/15/2012 10:02 PM

How wide is that lumbar portion? I've been looking for something to mar up with a tail gunner I got for cheap and this might be a good recipe... old school H harness feel...

New Post
10/16/2012 2:24 AM

Hi Evan,

that´s great stuff, if you make on in coyote I´ll buy one. I hope it is soon aviable.

I look forward to see the complet Ute.

Thanks for the great stuff, I use my Tara and Kit Bag every weekend, when I´m out.

Take care Christoph

New Post
10/16/2012 8:28 AM

gggnotaz wrote

Silly question, but what traditionally is a prairie belt?

not sure if this was the concept the Hill Bros used for inspiration, but my prairie belt holds shotgun shells like this

New Post
10/16/2012 10:11 AM

Messrs Hill

Absolutely superb.  You have captured the best of many contemporary belt designs - from load carriage to packs.  Clearly this gives us all a window into the overall quality in the design of the Ute as well.

With the additional webbing to make this into LBE / belt order for tactical applications is truly excellent.  Although the Ute is on my Christmas list, the additional gear for the belt will not be necessary for myself - I have my own set of belt order and I am on the downslope of my 'field' career.

Well done again, always impressive.

New Post
10/16/2012 11:26 AM

Outstanding as always!! The concept that it can be removed from a pack and used stand alone is very hood! And love the battle belt concept with the HPG shoulder harness!

is this going to be availiable in cayote brown? :c)

New Post
10/16/2012 11:44 AM

glad you guys are liking the look of the Prairie Belt.

The color shown is ranger green. Ranger green gets tan hardware as per mil spec. I expected the hypalon to also be ranger green but they made it tan. I have to circle back and find out what color the hypalon pieces on the production ones will be for our standard colors - ranger green, coyote, foliage. I know that coyote hypalon is no problem. Beyond that, not sure yet.

The lumbar area is 5.5" tall. Width can be variable. The actual hypalon backing is 7" wide, but you could put this behind any lumbar pad from whatever on the low end to probably 8.5" wide.

The historical Prairie Belt was a cavalry issue belt made of leather and canvas to hold 45/70 cartridges. Here is a historical example:

Personal modifications were common. Here are some period sketches, mostly by Frederick Remington:

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/16/2012 11:57 AM

I NEED ONE NOW!!!!!

United States Air Force Security Forces Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran.

New Post
10/16/2012 12:01 PM

a little bit of fun, bringing the Prairie Belt full circle

New Post
10/16/2012 3:40 PM

haha-well done...now, lets talk about this rail mount on your lever gun

New Post
10/16/2012 3:48 PM

JSonn wrote

haha-well done...now, lets talk about this rail mount on your lever gun

http://www.wildwestguns.com/test-2/

New Post
10/16/2012 5:11 PM

I want one, too! (or is that two? I forget....) 

Well done!

Now, when are the stuff sacks arriving ? 

New Post
10/16/2012 7:58 PM

Looks great. I'm not sure if anyone has asked yet but can the Prairie Belt be attached to the Tara. 

Thanks 

New Post
10/16/2012 11:21 PM

Evan,

Why did you opt for the placement of the plastic power-pull buckle to be on top and the lower portion of the belt to be sewn? The plastic power-pull component is the obvious failure point in an otherwise extremely well-thought out belt.  When, not if, that piece of plastic fails, the wearer will experience a diminished load bearing comfort level and his only recourse would be to use the affixed bottom portion of the belt through the belt buckle, which would place an emphasis of the weight bearing load below the iliac crest, and not above where weight bearing loads would ultimately ride more comfortably.  That, and the belt would have to be shipped back to you for a fix.

Maybe it can simply be flipped since it's still pre-production and/or go with the proven Kifaru power-pull style and add tensioners to the top of the belt as an enhancement for those that want more of a iliac cup in their belt?

Allen

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie BeltPrairie Belt