Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindiUmlindi
Previous

Next
New Post
4/10/2013 8:04 PM

Umlindi  Modified By scothill  on 1/25/2016 8:47:37 AM

I'm interested in the Ute backpack, but am also intrigued by the upcoming Mini Ute Londolozi.

What are the specs for the latter model, as well as its features, and pros & cons, compared to the Ute? We'll probably get that info out there next week. We have a production sample in hand that is close to complete.

Will it be compatible with the Prairie Belt? Yes.

Will it be available without the PB and Shoulder Harness, for those of us who already have these items (ex. Ute owners)? It will come without a PB, but will not be available without a Shoulder Harness.

Any info on the Mini Ute Londolozi (and especially some pictures) who be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work. You're producing some fantastic products. Thanks!

New Post
4/11/2013 2:02 PM

some quick tidbits -

• 19"x11"x6.5"
  • Ute style compression
  • compatible with Tarapocket, Palspocket, and Tarahumara compression panels
  • framesheet in slot pocket with single stay channel
  • with optional Prairie Belt, functions as a really large lumbar pack if you lengthen the torso adjustment a bit
  • We're furnishing a rhino poaching interdiction unit with this bag as soon as it gets in production. Londolozi means "protector of all living things" in Zulu.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/11/2013 2:17 PM

Evan,

Very cool!  And now for a short barrage of questions:  Do you already have a pricepoint for it?  What color options will there be?  When will it be available for purchase? Can I pre-order?  

Thanks for any info!

Ken (alpendrms)

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
4/11/2013 5:01 PM

Seems like perfect pack for my uses, if it comes in two tone I will be on one for sure. Is it just a smooth bucket inside, or is there any webbing or anything on the walls?

New Post
4/11/2013 6:23 PM

Would you guys please quit introducing new stuff...you are going to get me divorced!

In all seriousness though I am very impressed with your products and the quality is awesome.  Keep up the good work.

New Post
4/11/2013 7:32 PM

Thanks for the preview Evan.

Looks like a handy, versatile (multi-) daypack.

Perfect size for underseat carry-on for air travel. The option of adding a Tara or PALS pocket, as well as the compression straps and water bottle pockets, add a lot of versatility.

New Post
4/11/2013 7:39 PM

You guys are killin' me.  Now I've gotta buy TWO packs.

New Post
4/11/2013 7:51 PM

Take-a-knee wrote

You guys are killin' me.  Now I've gotta buy TWO packs.

... 3 packs, when the External Frame pack is released. 

New Post
4/12/2013 7:29 AM

we'll probably do khaki / rg, coyote, and foliage.

price unknown yet

as usual, no preorders

3 hang tabs at top of bag on frame side, half depth slot pocket on the side opposite from the frame

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/12/2013 12:06 PM

evanhill wrote

• We're furnishing a rhino poaching interdiction unit with this bag as soon as it gets in production. Londolozi means "protector of all living things" in Zulu.

If you are send these things to Oz and his crew, you'd better send him a Ute, that daypack will look like E&E on him.

New Post
4/12/2013 12:29 PM

Different crew. The background on the name is that while we were going into final prototyping/production sampling a guy from South Africa reached out to us.  The project is similar to Rhino Wars, but is entirely SA based and involves mostly guys who have already been doing this.  At that point, Rhino Wars wasn't announced yet, so I did get briefly confused about what the story was when Rhino Wars hit the news.  After a great deal of back an forth about how they operated and what they needed in the way of gear we decided that our new pack would be about perfect. Based on that, and the fact that a large portion of our first color run will be headed that way we decided that we wanted the name to reflect how it was going to be used by those guys, and also so when folks ask about the name we can have an opening for educating about the ills of poaching. In this case we can't take any credit for the name. I asked the guy who I have been working with for some suggestions based on what I was thinking about/looking for and Londolozi was one of them. To be clear there is also a park down that way called Londolozi, but they are not involved in this project to the best of our knowledge. We just really like the meaning of the word and the way it sounds when you say it, provided we are pronouncing it correctly ;).  Whether or not the project ever ends up on US TV doesn't really matter to us, it is just cool to know that some of our gear will be involved in fighting the good fight. When they are ready to go prime time I will do a separate post with information about that project. 

I do have to agree that for Oz, that dude appears to be huge, a Ute would have been a better fit.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/12/2013 1:25 PM

Hmm. Can this be docked on the UTE and does that even make any sense? I'm loving my UTE but I've considered a Tara or one of the "pockets" for a compression panel/rambling pack.

New Post
4/12/2013 1:30 PM

I think could, but not should. Basically, you can dock anything to anything, but the size of this pack just doesn't lend itself to that. I guess in theory you could have it empty on there and then pull out what you need and load it up, but I think you would just be better off running the Ute compressed.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/12/2013 5:41 PM

Will the side pockets fit the gi canteen cup like the ute does?

New Post
4/12/2013 8:04 PM

Nice, looks like the Palspocket would go well with this.

You realize that Afrikaners can break sand right?

New Post
4/14/2013 2:11 AM

Standing buy with cc I'm stoked for this one

New Post
4/14/2013 9:21 AM

It should fit the canteen cups like the Ute, but I don't have any anymore to check with.

New Post
4/15/2013 7:39 PM

Some discussion and a picture of the 'Lozi as a lumbar pack here:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/22/threadid/5845/scope/posts/Default.aspx

New Post
4/15/2013 7:41 PM

adv wrote

You realize that Afrikaners can break sand right?

That will be a good test of our penchant for "designing for robustness" and First Spear's workmanship!

New Post
4/16/2013 9:23 AM

I'm excited about this one... it hits right in the sweet spot for my everyday use (field/office/lab/travel).   Looking forward to the release!

evanhill wrote

we'll probably do khaki / rg, coyote, and foliage.

price unknown yet

as usual, no preorders

3 hang tabs at top of bag on frame side, half depth slot pocket on the side opposite from the frame

Love the slot pocket for simple organization. 

Have you considered some limited pals or loops on the underside of the lid ala the Ute?  I'm guessing you decided against that b/c it might require another layer of fabric?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindiUmlindi