Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhat's in your TarahumaraWhat's in your Tarahumara
Previous

Next
New Post
2/21/2012 10:37 PM

SpranK (or anyone else with knowledge on the topic) - Hey man could you tell me... how many pullouts could you get in the Tara? I am planning to put my spotting scope (luepold about 12 inches long by 5 inches wide) and 3 pullouts. Could I get 3 mediums or even 3 smalls in there? 

New Post
2/21/2012 10:41 PM

Someone mentioned attaching the Tara to a MR Dragon Slayer. This is exactly what I want to do. Anyone done it? How does it work, do you take the shoulder harness off the Tara? I want the Tara to add some cubic inches to my mutiple day pack (The MR Dragons Slayer) and be able to used it from base camp as a day pack. I have been searching for the perfect set up and I feel this could be it. Any insight? Im new, just stumbled onto HPG recently.

New Post
2/22/2012 10:31 PM

jquarnberg wrote

SpranK (or anyone else with knowledge on the topic) - Hey man could you tell me... how many pullouts could you get in the Tara? I am planning to put my spotting scope (luepold about 12 inches long by 5 inches wide) and 3 pullouts. Could I get 3 mediums or even 3 smalls in there? 

I could not tell ya for sure??? I would guess you could at least get your scope and 3 smalls in the pack. I just put  My Med.(green mesh), 2 smalls (white and green), 3L Granite Gear( orange) Tan( 10x10 tarp) small Tarp( camo) and a Shemagh in it. I Still had room for another small at least. Hope this helped?

Thanks

forumPoster is not the actual poster. If you are the actual poster, please make another quick post claiming this post. Sorry, too much moderator overhead to change the attribution on this post.

New Post
2/23/2012 12:00 PM

Hey thanks man. Very helpul. Looks like you can get more in it tht expected.

I can never tell the relative size of those pullouts maybe smalls will be big enoug for what I need. My buddy ordered 6 so we will find out soon enough.

If the spotting scope wont fit on the inside with my other gear im thinking about running my Mystery Ranch Rip Zip pocket on the outside on the opposite side I lash my tripod too. Seems like th Rip Zip pocket woud would work well on this pack, anyone have any experience with that?

New Post
2/27/2012 6:44 PM

Thought you folks might be interested in my Tara load for a recent trip my wife and I took to Western Colorado where we were scouting for a new home. No, we weren't scouting for a new home in the canyon pictured below itself -- that was just a hike to settle into the country a bit. The CHLs I hold aren't valid in CO, which affected how I packed the Tara. Instead of dual 1.5 quart nalgenes, I was carrying a nalgene on one side, and a custom 8.5" bowie on the other side strapped underneath a rolled up jacket. It was hung vertically in a good kydex sheath with a lanyard hanging down. Invisible, but easy to get to and a real asset in certain situations.

Here's the list of items:

• Mountain Serape
  • Headlamp
  • Spoon
  • 1.5 qt nalgene
  • stainless cup on bottom of nalgene
  • gerber sliding saw
  • sharpening steel
  • fire starting kit (inner tube squares, trioxane, lighter, magnesium bar and steel)
  • purification tabs (in a single contact lens container)
  • packet of starbucks via
  • 8.5" bowie
  • Patagonia dimension
  • REI softshell vest
  • REI merino hoodie
  • Smallish first aid kit
  • toilet paper
  • .75 quart water bottle on shoulder strap

I should have also had an Integral Design sil poncho by this time, but don't. (If you're reading this Robert, I'm getting antsy)

I also had my Kit Bag with all of the normal stuff in it minus pistol and spare ammo.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/4/2012 5:17 AM

Got mt Tara pack yesterday incredibly impressed with it! The shoulder harness works so well u almost forget your wearing a pack! Excellent piece of kit guys this is defiantly going to become my EDC pack, and also my go to pack for my adventures!!! 

New Post
3/5/2012 8:31 PM

I had the Gerber sliding saw but the tip broke off.  Replaced it with the Bacha Laplander...OMG what a saw.  You need one- George

New Post
3/8/2012 10:54 PM

Does the Tara not have a port for a hydration system?

New Post
3/9/2012 9:47 AM

The Tara is designed so you can run the tube out the top of the zipper. Leave the zipper unzipped by half an inch or so. There is a zipper garage there to cover the opening, and the tube comes out from underneath that. This works just as well as a hydration port, and it's a lot easier to pull your bladder out for refilling this way. Also - wait for it - "just complex enough to solve the problem, but no more".

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/10/2012 12:25 AM

I just ordered a brace of 48oz Nalgenes for my new Tara.  It appears to be the best way to maximize the onboard water supply without cutting into the internal capacity of the pack.

New Post
3/10/2012 8:30 AM

I have recently reintroduced into my load out an item that I was using a few years ago. I have never really liked bladders, but like the hose/bite valve concept. I use a Camelbak better bottle lid with their hose adapter and a 32oz Nalgene. ( I might need to pick up one of those 48oz ones every body is sporting)

New Post
3/30/2012 8:42 PM

My Tarahumara contains the following:

Gerber sliding saw

Silk handkerchief (42''x42'' size)

Ibex wool beanie

Lightweight wool gloves

Deer skin gloves

Patagonia houdini wind shirt

Lightweight tarp (I believe it's a fly from a Henessy Hammock- found it at a used gear sale for CHEAP, 12ozs all up with stuff sack/25ft of tie-off line)

Water bottles of choice (Usually a 16oz nalgene and a HPG hydroflask)

Rain jacket/pants

Possibles pouch containing the following:

• 1L Platypus bladder (empty)
  • Fire starting kit- trioxane, waterproof matches, "wetfire", mini-bic, flint/steel/magnesium
  • Small IFAK - steri strips, band-aids, ointment, advil/benadryl/pseudoephedrine, idodine swabs
  • 2x chemical hand warmers
  • Katadyn water purification tablets
  • 3x AAA batteries
  • 2x CR123 batteries
  • Streamlight polytac LED light
  • Princeton tec Remix Pro
  • Gerber knife sharpener
  • bug dope
  • whistle
  • space blanket
  • 25ft 550 cord

Items that get added sometimes:

Patagonia nano-puff pullover

Serape

Panasonic GF-1

Binoculars

Ruger 22/45

New Post
3/30/2012 9:47 PM

This past weekend I did a two night hiking trip (temps included an overnight low in the 20s with 20+mph winds for the second night) with just what I could carry with my Kit Bag and Tarahumara. This was the first time in the field for the combo, and I think I can safely say I maxed out the capacity of both. Here's what I carried:

Outside pockets: one Nalgene 1Qt canteen (USGI shape), Platypus 2L bladder

Strapped on the bottom: Rolled up 5'x7' tarp and a down sleeping quilt (would have been the Mountain Serape if the temps hadn't decided to drop into the 20s)

Pack sleeve (behind backpad): Insulated booties, sit pad, scrap of Tyvek

Inside:
* Klymit X-frame sleeping pad (not recommended for winter trips, FYI... )
* 900ml pot with my food inside
* 600ml mug
* dehydrated backpacking meal (didn't fit in the pot with the rest of the food)
* Line Kit (paracord and tarp lines)
* Wind shirt
* Vargo folding wood stove
* Stuff sack with toiletries, extra batteries etc.
* Tarp (Kifaru Parahootch)
* Extra baselayer bottoms

My extra layers (insulated vest and a down jacket carried in the vest pocket) and a shemagh were either worn or tucked under the compression straps, depending on the temps while hiking. Kit Bag was carrying my 'survival kit' items, camera, phone, map, headlamp, rain poncho and a few other items.

After the trip, I think the upcoming Highlander will work much better for this type of load out... weight would be the same, but without having to pack everything in quite so much like a game of Tetris. That said, the Tara fit what I needed for a pretty comfortable trip, and I was blown away by the difference in hiking compared to a full size pack. The combination of carrying such a light load and the balance of the weight with the Kit Bag in front made for a super comfortable hike. For the first time in a while I didn't get a knee pain flare up even after 10 miles of hiking. It was also the first time I can remember hiking without feeling the need to hook my thumbs under my pack straps and "lean into" the weight. Very cool!  I can't wait to get my hands on the Highlander next. 

New Post
4/17/2012 1:59 PM

Did another overnight trip with just my Tarahumara and Kit Bag. I really like this setup, it's very comfortable and sleek for hiking without getting snagged on stuff, scrambling up rocks and the like. I would have liked just a smidge more room since the Tara was packed in tighter than I'd prefer, but the good news is with the rugged construction and monster zipper I wasn't too worried about it. The really, really good news is I've got a Highlander arriving today or tomorrow to try out and see how I like the same design in a slightly larger form factor 

Evan, on a side note - have you considered possibly modifying the side pockets on the Tarahumara and Highlander to use elastic at least at the top seam? I find it really a tight squeeze getting stuff in there and just a little bit of stretch seems like it'd be helpful, especially once you've got the bag packed.

Anyway, here's what I had with me for an overnight trip, low of 52ยบ

Here's my load-out, as best I can remember it. Pack & Kit Bag weighed 18lbs including 2L of water when I got home. Add another 1-2lbs for food that was eaten during the trip and this trip was right about 20lbs. 

Outside pockets: 2 x Nalgene canteen
Strapped on the bottom: Mountain Serape
Pack sleeve (behind backpad): sit pad, casualty blanket (ground cloth)
Inside:
* Sleeping pad
* Cookset (sleep pad nested inside)
* Food
* Line Kit
* Wind shirt
* Stuff sack with toiletries, extra batteries etc.
* Tarp
* Additional camera lens & battery
* Shemagh

My extra layer (fleece jacket) and a rain jacket were either worn or tucked under the compression straps, depending on how cold it got. Tripod was also strapped onto the outside of the pack, thought it could actually fit inside if I was really careful packing.

The Kit Bag on my chest was carrying my survival gear, phone, map, rain poncho, folding wood stove, and a few other "possibles" type items like firesteel, sharpening stone etc.

New Post
4/18/2012 6:49 PM

Really wish the side pockets were stretch as well. After messing with a Tara for a few days that was my biggest negative.

New Post
4/18/2012 7:08 PM

Good posts guys. I'm getting excited for what I can do with just the Tarahumara out on the Colorado Plateau.

Regarding stretch pockets -- elastic just doesn't have the longevity that we want in our products. You'll notice that every time we do use elastic (only in cord form so far), it is in such a way that it is completely replaceable by the user at a later date when it wears out. I did build a pack a couple of years ago with spandura (spandex + cordura) side pockets and wasn't at all pleased with the robustness. The reason the Tara has a full width compression strap right at the top of the side pockets is to keep items in those pockets using materials I know I can rely on long term.

New Post
4/18/2012 10:17 PM

Thanks Evan, I figured even before I asked that based on what I've seen from your designs that the most likely reason for not using stretch pockets was for longevity and durability, but I wasn't sure if there might be other reasons.

The comression straps work well for keeping stuff in there so really I only find myself missing the stretch factor when trying to get bottles in the pockets once everything is packed. It would be cool if there was a way to incorporate stretch tops with shock cord that was user-replaceable somehow but the complexity probably isn't worth it given the pack's super simple design.

New Post
4/18/2012 10:34 PM

I did build tops like that into the wand pockets of a prototype pack using p-cord instead of bungy. It was kind of a neat concept and worked pretty well, but I finally decided that it wasn't worth the extra time and complexity. At least for that application. Probably the same with the Tara.

New Post
5/30/2012 8:06 PM

I don't have anything in my Tara yet............................................................mainly because I don't have one yet! But it's on my short list of gear that I need

I'm enjoying my Kit Bag though, it's perfect for my hiking and mountain biking

http://www.brockblades.com | sig line added by Evan. Go check out Ken's work.

New Post
8/17/2012 5:59 PM

I have read all the threads but did not find the answer to my question, so here goes.  Does the bag open enough for and ipad to be easily inserted?  I am looking for a small bag to hold my ipad, my fire and their chargers.  Not necessarliy an EDC bag but I do travel quite a bit and want a simple bag for all my electronics... and that can be used as a simple day bag once I'm at my location.  Thanks in advance for an answer.  And as you can see, my first post here but not new to the gear world.  If you ever see ogso at kifaru, among others, it's me.  Thanks again.

Bill

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhat's in your TarahumaraWhat's in your Tarahumara