Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRecon Kit BagRecon Kit Bag
Previous

Next
New Post
1/26/2012 1:23 PM

Hope this is ok, I thought I'd start a thread specifcally regarding this bag since it is officially out and I suck at digging through threads looking for comments.

That said, I'm excited about this concept. As I stated on FB any solid color will be a hit with me for SAR work or in general. I like the idea of being able to mount my radio up at chest height vs belt. After thinking about it last night and digging through the gear cave, this bag is screaming for a BFG Ten Speed triple mag shingle. The ten speed is extremely low/no profile and will hold a variety of items (AR & pistol mags, flashlights, GPS, radio, flybox, flagtape, etc) and I'd think it should mate to the front of the Recon unnoticeably. Looking at mine it takes up six rows of PALS.

New Post
1/26/2012 3:21 PM

I just put the PO in for the first order and it includes both Ranger Green and Multicam.  Ranger Green will be 95.00 and Multicam will be 105.00. Like always we won't take pre-orders until we have a tracking number from FS. When we get a general idea when that will be we will let everyone know.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/27/2012 11:58 AM

This is the first I'm hearing about the Recon Kit Bag.  Just picked up a standard Kit Bag and love it.  Can you provide more info about the new bag and maybe some photos?

Thanks

New Post
1/27/2012 12:08 PM

check it out here http://www.facebook.com/HillPeopleGear#!/media/set/?set=a.291550297568680.74285.153758301347881&type=3

HPG has a facebook page, you are going to want to bookmark it because usually all of their announcements happen there, like prototypes, pre-orders and product photos.

New Post
1/27/2012 12:37 PM

Inbound - as it just so happens, I was working on adding this to our projects page when you made your post. You can view details here:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/About/Projects/tabid/675/Default.aspx

Jsonn is right - we don't want to inundate people on our mailing list with email, so we typically post more up to the minute information on our Facebook page, then put it here on our forum, and then send out newsletters to our email list about once a month with all of that month's news.  If you want up to the minute information, keep tabs on our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/hillpeoplegear

Now, back to the Recon Kit Bag. I haven't really messed with PALS much. We build the bottle holsters to go on a PALS waistbelt, but that's about it. To test and introduce this product, we got a bunch of goodies from First Spear to mount on the REKB. I must say I'm impressed with the modularity of PALS, and the fact that it doesn't have to look overly military. PALS will always weigh more and be bulkier than a purpose built bag like the regular Kit Bag, but sometimes that will be worth it.

In my personal case, this solves the question of what to wear in training classes. I quit using a chest rig because our harness is so much more comfortable and I want to be able to carry a camera for publicity purposes. Previously, that meant putting spare mags in the pistol pocket. Now, I can have a spare pistol there (think about why that might be advisable in open enrollment classes), a couple of spare mags on the front, and a small admin pocket for the camera. That type of setup might well transition to field use as well. If I'm carrying an AR (as opposed to bolt or lever action), then a spare mag on the front of a chest rig isn't going to make much difference to how low profile I look. This is something I'll experiment with as time goes on.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/22/2012 10:22 AM

A question before I place an order (to make sure I get the order correct). I am very interested in this product as is it low profile/low drag, which is a must for me.

The Ranger Kit Bag would be the only item I would be carrying. Not for a EDC application (you can't carry in state parks here - sigh...) but for ornithology research of banding birdf that requires me to carry bands, banding pliers, wing rules, pesola scales, etc. Traveling light is a must when you are checking 50 nestboxes and walking from box to box.

So, the description says:

"Does NOT include lifters or stabilizer. Those are available separately. Does include the grimlocs to attach lifters to."

So, in addition to the Ranger Kit Bag, I would need to order a pair of lifters and a pair of stablizers, correct?

Thank you!

New Post
2/22/2012 10:58 AM

the REKB comes with the mesh backed H-harness, which is everything you need for comfortable carry. The stabilizer strap is to keep it from bouncing if you are running, and the lifter straps are to dock it to a backpack to put all of the load onto the pack's suspension system. They're both optional nice to haves if you're going to be using a KB in that way.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/28/2012 2:23 PM

Pulled the trigger and ordered the REKB a bit ago along with a stabilizer and one of your ball caps. Nice logo. 

Speaking of logo, I kept the head from my very best male Oberhasli dairy goat - just cut it off when he died. The buck has (had) the absolute best set of horns I have ever seen. Need to get them mounted (Texas mount?). Also trimmed his beard off and placed in a jar - and when you open that jar nine years later, that beard still smells and will get does flagging like crazy if they are close to coming in heat!

Will let you know how the bag works with carrying banding pliers, wing rules, caliper, bands, screwdriver to open nestbox,  mirror to see into back of the nest, etc  When checking boxes and banding birds, mobility and speed is an absolute must as you move from nest to nest to reduce the chance of nest abandonment/premature fledging. I think your bag holds the best promise for monitoring and banding quickly and efficiently.

New Post
3/3/2012 8:53 AM

After a few weeks of considering whether my gear locker needed another piece of kit I finally ordered my recon kit bag and stabilizer strap. As I intend to both run with this and use it while running training scenarios for my unit, I went with the ranger green, but would have liked a foliage option for the closer match to uniform color. It's just so practical, that I don't really care if it matches. I'll risk the ass chewing.

My planned load out for running: cell phone, H&K .40 compact, wallet, energy bars, and I'm considering slapping some small water pack in or on the front for longer runs.

Training load out: GPS, small print TEEOs, map, fire crackers (simulators for small arms fire), zippo, cell phone, snacks, and radio.

Ultimately, my desire to buy was driven by the well designed concept. Keep up the great work fellas.

New Post
3/6/2012 7:26 PM

So I finally got to use mine over the weekend at a SAR land nav class. I did put the BFG 10 speed triple shingle on the front and it is great just as I expected. Color matches quite well also.

View from top

Crappy bottom view but it is unobtrusive although it may not look it.

I carried it for about 4 miles on a night compass course and 3.5 mile daylight GPS course over a couple of days. Loadout was : G17 in pistol pocket. AMK Booboo kit, pad, Eggroll Index card holder, Foretrex 301, extra grid reader, cliff bar, whistle and matches in front pocket. In the Ten Speed I had a Yaesu FT-270 with mike, Surefire E2L AA light, pen, pencil, map.

All in all I was very happy with the setup. The radio rides at a great height and the antennae does not bother me at all, just what I was hoping for. I'll try to use it at the range this week with the shingle loaded with 3 full Pmags and see how it rides.

New Post
3/12/2012 9:28 AM

Very nice combo VASpence. Thanks for posting.

New Post
3/20/2012 2:51 PM

When can we expect the Recon Kit Bag in Coyote? I would like to get the Coyote so it matches the rest of my gear.

New Post
3/20/2012 2:57 PM

They will be available for order sometime next week if not before.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/20/2012 3:23 PM

Turns out that it is "before". Now accepting pre-orders on coyote Recon Kit Bags (just look on the Products page). Pre-orders will ship on Monday (Mar 26th).

New Post
3/22/2012 7:45 PM

I made the first real warm weather use of my Tarahumara last weekend and with the March heat wave in the Northeast I’ve been thinking about what new kit I might invest in for the summer. The REKB interests me. Curious about the below, apologies if they have been addressed elsewhere and I missed the information or didn’t put it all together correctly:

1. A docking kit is mentioned in the RKB product descriptions but I don’t see it listed anywhere as a separate item. Is it a reference to the combination of the lifters and the stabilizers?
    • Does the combination of one of the Kit Bags with the Tarahumara change the fit of the harness in some way?
  2. Will your planned Runner’s Harness address all of the above? If so, would I be better off waiting until it is available to put in any order for a REKB?

Much appreciated, as always.

New Post
3/22/2012 8:31 PM

thanks for posting that pic. I think I saw it on facebook or maybe flickr. On to your questions --

The "docking kit" is the lifter straps. Details on what that does is here:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/HowTo/SetUpYourKitBag/tabid/779/Default.aspx

Something special happens when you dock a Kit Bag of any variety to the front of a Tara (or any smallish pack). They balance each other out quite nicely and make the whole load more stable.

Right now, we've got our production sample Runner's Harness in the hands of Kevin T who is giving it a shake out. He also has the stand alone harnesses for each item (Tara and RUKB). We'll see what he has to say about the relative merits of each setup. The Runner's Harness is a more stable form fitting setup. If I was doing a lot of running, it might be my preference. In general, I prefer the flexibility of a separate Tara and Kit Bag tied together with nothing more than lifter straps.

New Post
3/24/2012 12:13 PM

I, too, picked up a REKB for Search and Rescue.  I had originally gotten a Koala, but it was way too ginormous.  Here's my setup, subject to change as I use it of course:

The radio pouch is just a generic Pantac for the time being, but I'll probably change it to a HSGI Taco as long as my radio (Yeasu FT60) will fit in it.  The admin panel is from SOTech.  I have three of them, it's one of the best admin pouches I've used as it's designed to protect your sunglasses as well as hold your notepad, light, batteries, and other assorted goodies. Inside the small pocket of the REKB I have a fire kit, space blanket, Rite in the Rain notepad, and a signal panel.  My XD fits great inside the main pocket.  I've yet to take it out for training or a mission yet, but I'm looking forward to it.  Thanks to Evan for his quick email replies and advice.

New Post
4/2/2012 11:39 AM

Any thoughts on whether I would be able to make a modification to the REKB in the interest of moisture management? Something along the lines of adding a layer of DriLex to the back? Staying wet up front in hot weather wouldn’t be anything I couldn’t deal with—I sweat a lot so it’s not like I’m going to be dry in the summer anyway—but there might be some hypothermia concerns out in the snow.

New Post
4/3/2012 2:13 PM

Great question Timateo. I started a new thread on the subject here:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/22/postid/1541/scope/posts/Default.aspx

New Post
5/26/2012 3:34 AM

Was wondering if anyone can help me? Before i purchase does anybody know if the kifaru organiser will fit on the front of the recon KB? Also does the recon KB come with grimlocs and the stabilser strap? 

Trying to consider which model of KB is best suited to my needs? Any pics of the Recon KB loaded up wud be very useful?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRecon Kit BagRecon Kit Bag