Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBackcountry DeviceBackcountry Device
Previous

Next
New Post
8/23/2016 5:23 AM

As a non tech guy I've got a related question. Can you just connect these devices with a cable? Blue tooth uses a bit of power in both devices, so turning it off should save some juice.

New Post
8/23/2016 5:32 AM

chorpie wrote:
Do you have to keep your phone paired with the InReach while you use the app? Seems like two battery drains instead of one? What's the runtime on that?

Yes...the phone must remain paired, but you can actually use the app and not even have the inReach turned on...you just need your location ability turned on in the settings of your phone.  I just used that function to track progress over 12 hours of driving across Peru.  Works perfectly.  The only thing you can't do when using it this way is send messages from the inReach.  A 100% charge on the inReach will last 100 continuous hours or more.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
8/23/2016 5:35 AM

bark-eater wrote:
As a non tech guy I've got a related question. Can you just connect these devices with a cable? Blue tooth uses a bit of power in both devices, so turning it off should save some juice.

No...they cannot be connected via cable, but the inReach can be used to full-function as a stand-alone unit.  The Earthmate app can also be operated on the phone without having the inReach turned on, but not all functionality is available that way.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
8/23/2016 2:55 PM

Nice!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBackcountry DeviceBackcountry Device