Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralContact glovesContact gloves
Previous

Next
New Post
1/13/2018 1:49 PM

May be a stupid question but do you guys use mink oil or the similar on your outdoor research gloves? As to waterproof them. Does that do anything to the FR factor?

thanks guys

New Post
1/14/2018 9:32 AM

No. Most of the construction is nomex anyway, so not waterproof.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/14/2018 12:52 PM

Yea I’m sorry I meant mainly for the leather on the gloves. Not necessarily waterproofing the whole glove just protecting the leather from snow or water. That is what I was referring to. So you do not use anything on the leather? It seems the leather is a darker color than on mine.

New Post
1/14/2018 10:48 PM

I'm not the most up on leather care, but in general I've always been recommended to use wax-based treatments like sno-seal rather then animal based products. I've been told that animal based products run the risk of over-softening leather, which is the last thing most thin nomex/leather gloves need.

I've used heavily sno-sealed gloves around open flame for years with no issues, so I wouldn't be concerned.

New Post
1/15/2018 5:03 AM

OK. well that makes since. I know it may have been a newbie question but honestly I've never really though about it until getting on here and following the hill brothers. I've used "contact gloves" for years and never treated them with anything but I was noticing that my OR gloves are not as dark as Evans was and it got me thinking. So thanks I really appreciate it Fowler.

New Post
1/15/2018 5:31 AM

That is just use. Snow seal is a sealant and not a conditioner or oil. In general you want to condition/oil then seal. Just sealing can cause the leather to dry out. However, I have never used anything on contact gloves. I don't expect them to be fully water proof, nor do I want them to so they breath better, and I have never had a pair where the leather got dry. I have oiled then snow sealed leather work gloves, but that was for use on horses and motorcycles where I was looking for waterproof.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/15/2018 7:27 AM

OK I'm tracking now. So nothing is going on my OR gloves. Thanks guys

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralContact glovesContact gloves