Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDelorme Inreach MiniDelorme Inreach Mini
Previous

Next
New Post
8/21/2018 7:17 AM

I am interested in picking up a Delorme Inreach and wondered what your thoughts were on the new Mini version and what companion devices were prefered; I currently carry an Iphone6 , are small tablets prefered over phones? What map programs are available also?

Regards!

New Post
8/21/2018 9:34 AM

I have only had my Mini for a couple of weeks, but I am pretty happy with it just messing around. It is small and light enough it fits in my kit bag no problem. I use the Earthmate Delorme Software and my phone and it works just fine. Sure a tablet would give me screen space and I might upgrade to one at some point for in the vehicle or the canoe, but for photo travel the phone is fine. I can't give any long term reviews, but it looks like it will fit my needs better then the larger ones.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/21/2018 11:04 AM

How much are they?

New Post
8/21/2018 11:31 AM

I have the standard inreach. Earthmate comes as the mapping app for your Iphone. I would verify if the mini is back compatible with the Iphone 6. I don't think the 6 is hampered by a cutoff of the OS but the 5's are. The app works pretty well. I haven't had too many hangups. You can do everything on the app that you can do on the standard so the mini should be the same.

New Post
8/22/2018 4:26 AM

Lots of info in this blog post by dcrainmaker, I was actually in the market for a "regular" Garmin Inreach but am now for a mini.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05/garmin-inreach-mini-satellite-tracker-in-depth-review.html

New Post
11/21/2018 6:07 AM

Thoughts on Inreach Explorer vs the Inreach mini; Does the mini have a gps display ? Or do you have to pair with another device?

New Post
11/21/2018 6:14 AM

I went with the mini because it can ride in my kit bag. My pack may change, but it is rare I use a different kit bag. I have maps and gps on my phone. I haven't used it much, but it is riding snug with no issues.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDelorme Inreach MiniDelorme Inreach Mini