Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralManaging HEAVY packs in ROUGH country?Managing HEAVY packs in ROUGH country?
Previous

Next
New Post
7/29/2019 6:36 PM

Hunting season is just around the corner and once or twice a season I find myself packing out a load or two of meat that is pushing the ~100lb mark in some pretty rough country.

If you are by yourself in rough country what is the safest way to get the pack on and stand upright?  Lay it on the ground, roll into it, get on your hands and knees, then stand up?

How do you rest without taking the pack off?  Taking the pack off doesn't seem worth the injury potential to get it back on.

Any other suggestions for making a hard pack out in ugly country less misserable? 

I do plan on doing some 80-120lb 2-3mile practive hikes leading up to the season the sort out any issues.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
7/29/2019 6:47 PM

Let Cheyvonne carry some of the weight. Make grown ass men carry their own meat.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/29/2019 9:14 PM

Get some cleans in with a good sandbag.

New Post
8/3/2019 10:41 AM

My preferred method is to keep my back as straight as possible, get the bottom of the pack up onto one knee and then pivot it vertical and twist into the harness while standing up by using my legs, not my back. I've seen too many people throw their back out trying to 'jerk and clean' a pack off the ground, even with packs much less than 100lbs.

New Post
8/4/2019 9:22 AM

Thank you all for the replies!

I have loaded dufflebags in the weightroom and may get a couple purpose built sandbags to add to the weekly workouts. Then practice donning and doffing the pack with progressively heavier weight. See if I can't hit 100lb pack for 5 reps or something. Or maybe just buy a sherpa...

We have 7-9 biggame tags in 3 states this year, not including hogs. I know the pack will hold up, just hoping I do.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
10/21/2019 8:29 AM

For putting the pack on -- you really need to squat, bearhug it, and waddle over to somewhere that you can sit it on a stump or a rock or a slope or log... some kind of elevated position. It's worth scouring the area to find a place you can do this *before* you even put the load in the pack. I've never tried this, but you might be able to "hang" it in oak brush. Then back into it and get it on.

I don't ever take it off again. Resting is kind of the same thing. Find something to back into where you can rest the weight of the pack to give your legs a quick break. Also, keep moving until the job is done. It's when you stop that your legs can seize up. Make sure that when you DO stop it's somewhere you can afford to stop like your car.

Finally, treat a heavy pack out (really any time you're off trail) more like a technical climb than a walk. 3 points of contact at all times, every foot movement isn't a step -- it is a foot placement that must be tested for stability before completely trusting it. In practice you end up doing this a little bit more rapidly than described, but start with the climbing mindset and let yourself get faster at it rather than starting with a walking mindset and walking yourself into a mechanical injury.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralManaging HEAVY packs in ROUGH country?Managing HEAVY packs in ROUGH country?