Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDeLorme InReach Explorer Extreme Communications PackageDeLorme InReach Explorer Extreme Communications Package
Previous

Next
New Post
7/3/2014 11:50 AM

My colleagues and I from the PR Unit will be meeting with a tech rep from DeLorme later this month to discuss their new InReach Explorer model, along with their Extreme Communications Package.  We will be comparing this new model against my older InReach for GPS model (which pairs with my DeLorme PN-60W GPS), and also against their InReach SE (which pairs with Smartphones).  This new Explorer model looks to be much closer to the "all-in-one" GPS, PLB, and Global two-way messaging and communication system that many have been hoping for while traveling in austere environments.

From what I have gathered so far, the device will work as a GPS, PLB, breadcrumb tracking, and two-way message system globally (still requiring a clear view of the sky to hit the Iridium satellite network) in stand-alone mode.  The ability to use it as a GPS to mark and edit waypoints, create routes, navigate via that route or digital compass, and also an internal altimeter function has me quite intrigued.  Only base, rudimentary mapping is an option for the device while in this stand-alone mode.  However, when paired with a Smartphone, detailed maps may be accessed via the Earthmate app, where the user would download appropriate map coverage prior to embarking on the journey.  

A draw back to both this device and the SE model is the use of an internal proprietary battery.  That said, the new Extreme Communications Package attempts to fix that by providing a Goal Zero solar panel, rechargeable batteries, and all of the necessary items to recharge the device on the go.  When the InReach Explorer begins with a full charge, it will operate for 100 hours continuous use, with a breadcrumb track rate of 1 every 10 minutes....not too shabby.  

I am looking forward to the meeting and we are planning to have the rep provide us with a few demo models for testing both CONUS and OCONUS.

Once again...I'm very hopeful that this may be "the one"...or at least damned close to it.  I've been very happy with my older model that pairs with my PN-60W GPS.  No problems sending and receiving messages from places as far away as Mexico and Mazamari, Peru all the way to Virginia and back.  If the new Explorer allows me to leave the GPS back and simply carry one thing to do everything I need it to do...all the better.  We'll see.

At $479 for the complete package, that's not a bad pricepoint for global reach two-way messaging, GPS function, and rescue notification.

More to follow once we have our meeting.  Just figured some folks out there in the HPG Forum world might want to check into it themselves, too.

Sláinte!

Ken

www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-explorer-extreme-communication-kit.php

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/3/2014 1:52 PM

I would like to hear more about this as I am looking to move away from the SPOT. Can it be used with a different solar panel ? I have a lighter more high performance panel I prefer. 

http://www.seekoutside.com | sig added by EH... go check out Kevin's stuff!

New Post
7/3/2014 2:43 PM

This might sound crazy but what I'd really like to have is a tracking device I could hide in my pack that would let me track it though a GPS or a regular computer in case my pack got stolen I could track it down, anyone know a solution for that?

New Post
7/3/2014 2:55 PM

Not sure if it can be used with a different panel, as that I haven't seen it in person yet.  That question can certainly be asked when we have our meeting.  Although, I don't see why it couldn't be used with a different panel as long as the cable connection is the same...I'm guessing USB to mini USB or similar.  

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/5/2014 9:10 AM

Does the Delorme still send messages fine when you are moving ? With the SPOT, I've had good luck with messages when I stop and pair hte phone and send a message and eave it alone for 30 minutes or so, however, recently it failed to send twice when I sent messages while moving , in open above timber line terrain. The phone and Spot were within a foot of each other and the app said te message was sent. 

New Post
7/5/2014 10:01 AM

I have never used my InReach to send messages while moving....never saw the need to do that.  I've used it for status updates from stationary locations, ensuring also that the device had "Y-sky"....i.e. clear view of the sky in order to hit the satellites.  The main function of it for me is (1) as an emergency tool, or (2) as another layer of communications in a comms PACE plan for corrdinated rondezvous at a contingency location with colleagues if other means of communication is non-viable.

New Post
7/5/2014 7:08 PM

Curious to find out about the movement. How fast does the Delorme send out ? The SPOT takes 20 - 30 minutes for confirmation. In this particular case, I was backpacking and was in the midst of a 25 ish mile day, and wanted to keep moving to find a good camp location before dark, (and I also wanted to keep moving becasue I figured if I stopped for too long I would not be super inclined to start moving again) so I sent out messages to Angie to state the general area I was in. I received confirmation of a succesful message, but the message never went through. 

New Post
7/7/2014 7:25 PM

Mine gets a message out, with a receive confirmation in about 5-10 minutes, depending on how many birds it's tracking, sometimes less time than that.

New Post
7/9/2014 12:48 PM

Interesting.  Are the buttons still proud of the device face?  My biggest gripe, aside from the internal battery, is that the power button can be (and has on several occasions) inadvertently turned on in my bag.

If anyone has suggestions for how to mitigate that issue, I'm all ears.

New Post
7/9/2014 3:35 PM

You may want to give this a try:

http://www.gizzmovest.com/CRStage.cfm?Active=Public&UID=0U812&Page=More%20News&NewsID=38

I use one of their protective cases on my GPS and it recesses the screen and buttons nicely.  DeLorme also makes a line of neoprene cases for the InReach which are available in orange, yellow and black.  The device is usable through the case.

New Post
7/10/2014 7:36 AM

Black Walnut....thanks for the info on these!  My DeLorme PN-60W would accidentally turn on in its pouch if the buttons got bumped.  I ordered a GizzMoVest for it yesterday.  I just hope that the GPS will still fit in the pouch with the cover on it.....I think it will.  My particular InReach unit is one of the 1st generation models that pairs with my GPS and hasn't had the problem of accidentally getting buttons pushed like the SE model, which is good because I don't think they make a cover for it. 

New Post
7/19/2014 6:54 PM

posted for Hansford:

Thanks BW, I'll check it out.

I've been thinking about constructing some kind of button cut-out cover for the face of the SE...but alas I don't have any inventive Da Vinci genes to fall back on here.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/19/2014 6:55 PM

posted for alpndrms:

Update post meeting with DeLorme's Director of International Sales and also a DeLorme Senior Tech. A very informative and productive meeting, attended by not only folks from my Personnel Recovery Unit, but also several from other US DOJ reps in the PR world. I came away pretty much certain I will get one of the InReach Explorers, either via a pro deal through my job or from my parent company which may also buy them for us employees. Either way, I will have one and am fairly certain it will meet my needs both CONUS and OCONUS on several levels. The functionality, user friendliness, and ability of the Explorer appears to be dang close to what I would consider the Holy Grail of PLB, two-way connectivity, and GPS in one device for remote locations and austere conditions.

In answer to some questions from some folks here on the forum:

Yes, it can send and receive messages while on the move, as long as it has clear view of the sky (which is a must for any Iridium-based system).

Turn around time for a message TX QSL from a recipient can be in as little as a few minutes, if the device is tracking solid satellite coverage. Of course terrain, and geographic location plays a role, but almost always it will allow the user to receive a reply message from a distant recipient in under 10 minutes. Confirmation from the device that a message went out happens very quickly, as well...also usually within a few minutes or less.

The device in stand-alone mode provides just a basic GPS screen without specific map data, but it still allows one to mark and edit waypoints, create routes, tracks, and follow an azimuth. It also provides elevation/altitude and barometric data, both internal GPS-derived and external atmospheric pressure. However, when paired to one's Smartphone or iPhone and using the DeLorme Earthmate app, specific map data is immediately accessible, and it does not need 3G or 4G coverage to do it. The user must only download the map data into the app prior to departing for the trip. Easy day. OCONUS map coverage is also available, down to ~ 1:100000, or even 1:50000 accuracy (for some countries) via DeLorme Netlink. I will be downloading that stuff soon for upcoming OCONUS travel, in order to have it on my DeLorme PN-60W GPS. The Tech rep told me to call him or any of the other techs if I got into a jam, and they are always ready to help walk a customer through the downloading and set-up of the OCONUS map data.

Once I get hold of the new InReach Explorer, I will then be able to train up another of my family members in the use of my older "dot-1" InReach, so that they can use it in stand-alone mode in the event of an emergency. I figured out that I will not need to have the entire Extreme Communications Kit, because I already own a Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar Panel, and also the Switch 8 and Guide 10 recharging packs....with that equipment, I'll have everything I need to keep the InReach Explorer well-charged for about 300 hours....way more than enough.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/10/2015 8:39 PM

For those that are interested, the InReach is our second level of Comms Coverage for our team. I am a Search Team Manager for Texas Task Force 2 USAR. We have 3 Layers of Search Coverage on out Team, the First being Geo-Suite, a very high dollar system that uses smart devices and turns them all into realtime map and search tools... Basically a search of a neighborhood can be followed realtime by the "Puzzle Palace " as we move through a area. The Use of Search Icons on the Smart Devices allows us to send back info. So essentially , Search Icons will pop up on the Map back at HQ, AS THE teams clear houses and neighborhoods.. Must purchase server and have cell connectivity, etc, but none the less its likely what all USAR Teams will move to . Our Second line is the Delorme InReach ... With tablets we supply the teams (Using Earthmate App) and sat connectivity we have a "Almost Realtime Search" . With the Inreaches leaving bread crumbs we can follow each device (Or Team) as the move forward on the Search. The Text strings that come back inform us of Addresses, Occupancy, Damage, Type Of Seach, Results. During the Recent Floods here in Texas, our team deployed and used the InReach with great success, we gave the Log In to the Delorme site to our Bosses at the State Emergency Dept, and they followed our Search along the River from the HQ Bdlg. Lastly , we use Garmin 60's , of course we have to wait for every team to return and download so we can see what was done that day. Just some info on how we use the InReaches, we are quite happy with them , and plan on using them for the foreseeable future . Delorme informed us that we were the First Team to use the InReach's In such a Search , Ever. THANKS, Sutty 

New Post
8/11/2015 10:08 AM

Sutty, 

Which model Delorme inReach are you using?  Are you using the Explorer, the SE, or the "dot-1" model?

New Post
8/11/2015 11:06 PM

alpendrms wrote:

Sutty, 

Which model Delorme inReach are you using?  Are you using the Explorer, the SE, or the "dot-1" model?

We are Running the SE's .... 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDeLorme InReach Explorer Extreme Communications PackageDeLorme InReach Explorer Extreme Communications Package