Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHalloran Knives and EDC of a fixed blade over a folderHalloran Knives and EDC of a fixed blade over a folder
Previous

Next
New Post
5/29/2012 11:58 AM

I have been a fan of Tom Halloran’s knife designs since I first saw them (http://halloranknives.com/ ). There are lots of knife makers out there, but very few who seem to marry design with function so that you have both a symmetrical good looking and functional piece. However, that was right after I got burned by another custom maker so I was a bit leery of jumping on with a new maker. The result is that I just now got a Halloran 360. I wish I had made the leap long ago.

I have been carrying a pocket knife daily since I was 11 and got my first toten chit, and prior to that I had a pocket knife for country use, but wasn’t allowed to carry it other than in the country. Originally, it was a Buck from my dad that I lost. I then got to pick out “My Knife”. For the next 9 years a case sodbuster was my daily companion. That only ended when I was introduced to the “tactical” knife with a pocket clip and liner lock. I have carried one ever since, except when traveling by plane on business or in buildings where they are not permitted. However, one fact holds true, whenever I actually know I am going to need to cut something I carry or have a fixed blade handy.  Fixed blade knives are more robust, easier to clean, and generally more ergonomic in my experience.  I experimented with a fixed blade instead of a folder for awhile back in 94, with a cold steel kiridashi. I learned the lesson there of not carrying anything in your back pocket on a horse. Since then I have looked at lots of knives, but never really found anything that I liked enough to commit to the process of carrying a fixed every day instead of a folder. A few years back I worked with a local maker, and got what I wanted, but frankly it was too big and it won’t hold an edge worth a crap. 
Awhile back I saw that Tom was looking to clear out some old stock. I went ahead and ordered a 360 with a couple of modifications, more on this later, and then the wait began. I got the knife last Friday, and I have to say I am very very happy with it. I ordered the version with a clip, olive micarta, and extra gimping on the grip for pinky purchase in a forward grip and thumb purchase in a reverse grip. The gimping also provides a surer grip during the draw. Out of the box I couldn’t help but say damn that is a fine looking knife. The finish on the blade provides a nice compliment to the scales and the proportions look right. I quickly found out that it was extremely sharp and a good slicer. I have two cuts to prove it. Turns out that drawing in a reverse grip you don’t want to push down on the sheath with your pinky to pop the knife out of the sheath., a habit I picked up somewhere for who knows what reason. The second cut just goes to prove that dicing vegetables when you are tired and distracted is a good way to add the tip of your thumb to the vegetables. Nothing I haven’t done before, and unfortunately probably will do again. However it just proved how sharp and quick to cut this knife is. 
I requested the iwb sheath with no hardware, as I do want to carry it every day and I have found that iwb works best for concealment, and I have hardware to use if I need it. I have carried it in front of my spare mag on the left hip and behind my right hip so far. The advantage to the first is that it is available for either hand, and the advantage to the second is that it is a lot more comfortable for me and doesn’t impede access to my magazine. I typically carry my mobile phone on my belt behind my spare magazine so that location is out and I carry iwb at around 3. I tried a variety of cants in my appendix area, but just couldn’t get it to ride comfortably. I think that the behind the right hip will win out. Granted for self defense it is not as available for my left hand, but I can get to it going behind my back, which is more than I can say for the folders I have carried for years, and it is very concealed, easy to get to for everyday chores and comfortable. Only time will tell if this switch is permanent, but things look good.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/29/2012 12:13 PM

This thread is useless without...........

All kidding aside.  It's a sweet looking knife.  I am already planning on stealing it from Scot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
5/29/2012 12:29 PM

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/29/2012 1:52 PM

He does make a very good looking knife. To me good looking must include functionality or it gets a lot of points taken off. I sure wish I could win the loterry so I could indulge.

New Post
5/29/2012 10:46 PM

Tom is a great guy.

I have a Holloran 360 

great little knife.

Wicked-Fish Knives & Tools

New Post
5/30/2012 8:30 PM

nice looking knife, Tom is good people as well

http://www.brockblades.com | sig line added by Evan. Go check out Ken's work.

New Post
5/30/2012 11:21 PM

Scot:

This is an interesting topic. I typically carry a folder in the appendix position, but agree that folders are a compromise. When I truly need to cut something,I go fixed blade (my choices: Swamprat Ratmandu, Strider DB-L). That said, I've been experimenting with a neck knife. I make my own kydex sheaths and use a skeleton style blade (Buck makes a great one that I picked up at the factory that was a cosmetic blemish for $12). I hang it from a dog tag chain. Blade size is limited to about 2.5 inches. Food for thought.

New Post
5/31/2012 11:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a couple of kneck knifes and in general don't really care for the style of knives themselves.  Not to say I won't ever find one I like, but so far I haven't.  The other thing is I am not a huge fan of having them hang around my kneck.  That being said I have been carrying my knife in the field with a pack in I guess a tanker style mode since SLG mentioned it to me.  Basically, it goes over my left shoulder and head, so the weight is evened out. It still rubs and pulls on my kneck a bit but not as bad as having it just around my kneck.  Recently, I have been thinking about a strap setup kind of like the Doc Holiday rigs some holster makers offer so the weight is entirely off my kneck and on my shoulders. I have also come up with a quick attach setup, that I have yet to utilize, for carry using the bottom loops on the kit bag. Both need to be field tested.  I have thought about something like that for EDC carry, but one I would have to remove my shirt to take it off, and I think it would be harder to explain to a LEO then a small knife iwb.

New Post
7/3/2012 12:26 PM

For AIWB carry, you may want to look at the Tactical Tether from Modern Combative Systems. I have been carrying a small fixed blade in this manner for a while now, and it is very comfortable and handy.

New Post
7/17/2012 1:20 PM

I am a fan of Halloran knives as well. I currently own a 3-finger parkerized with a black micarta handle. The knife is my everyday carry and is great. Scott and Evan saw the knife at the 2011 NW Rondy when I had it with me. I would like to get a 360 eventually.

New Post
7/18/2012 11:56 AM

Scot- what type of steel is your knife? Are you happy with it so far?

New Post
7/18/2012 8:06 PM

CM 154, which is another name for ATS34 as I understand it, which is one of my favorite steels. 

I am, but I need to make a new sheath for it, that sets is deeper in my waistband so I haven't been carrying it a ton lately.

New Post
7/18/2012 9:29 PM

scothill wrote

CM 154, which is another name for ATS34 as I understand it, which is one of my favorite steels. 

I am, but I need to make a new sheath for it, that sets is deeper in my waistband so I haven't been carrying it a ton lately.

in terms of material (elements) they are the same. ATS-34 is only made by Hitachi in Japan where 154cm is made in the USA

http://www.brockblades.com | sig line added by Evan. Go check out Ken's work.

New Post
7/18/2012 11:11 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I knew that one was foreign and one was domestic but couldn't remember which Tom told me was which, and didn't want to mess it up.

New Post
2/8/2013 10:29 AM

Great post and review, I also have been carrying a fixed blade for my daily knife, and occasionally carry with a folder. It is nice to see another US knife maker putting out quality product with good service. I will look at this knife for sure. I have been carrying a DPX HEST for some time and the dimensions look similar. I would like to go IWB though, just have not gotten the sheath made yet. 

New Post
2/11/2013 5:35 PM

scot for iwb carry i just run p-cord in a larks head around belt or blet loop adjusted to the approiate length usually cross draw appendix carry so when i draw the knife sheath pops out and is retained buy the p-cord plus i dont have the risk of stabing myself when i put the knife away you you wanna get fancy id imagine you could come up with a kydex hanger to keep from moving around but i usually dont have an issue with that.

learned this style of carry form ben/andrew bawidmann and dj form american kami.

also same story for the beginings of knife carry lol but my father got me a small fixed blade becuase thats how he started and felt that they were safer, i used to carry a folder for a while but i agree that fixed blades are more practical and user friendly. and partly cause its the way my father tought me and has always carried fixed blade even to this day.

New Post
2/11/2013 8:21 PM

Nice knife!! I offer this just as a method of carry description not a knife review.

I've been toting a fixed blade carried horizontal close to the midline for EDC since December. Sort of jumped on the bandwagon after reading a post on pistol-forum.com http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?5935-Dark-Star-Gear-kydex-sheaths-for-ESEE-Candiru-amp-Izula

I carried the Izula II every day since the end of December up until last week. I wore it on the belt on the left side pretty close to mid line and have not had any issues with it being uncomfortable or printing. (my normal daily shirt in town is an untucked polo). The overall length is 6.75". My G19 mag carrier position has not been affected (I use the Ready Tactical pouch).

The pull dot strap method of securing the sheath to the belt is ideal, there is no movement of the sheath when drawing the knife. This has worked with a Wilderness belt, Filson belt and a dress belt. You may need to adjust the strap length between belts but that is pretty simple.

Last week I lucked into a Paul Moore BOB (copy of the Shivworks Clinchpick, overall length similar to Izula) and simply removed the strap from the Izula sheath and put it on the BOB sheath. I can post pics if needed, I have all 3 knives (Candiru, Izula and BOB) with their respective sheaths.

New Post
2/11/2013 8:48 PM

Scot, Tom is doing some more work with sheaths, specifically leather for EDC. You might want to ping him if you are still looking.

New Post
2/13/2013 11:49 AM

I appreciate all the information guys, but I have to admit that I am back to carrying my Emerson. Basically, I couldn't find a location on my waist that provided the same level of access as the front right pocket, that was comfortbale. I tried in front of my pistol and behind on the right hip, small of the back, and in front and in back of my mag and cell phone on my right hip.  What I found was wear it was comfortable and concealed well it wasn't accessible and vice versa.  I don't like kneck carry so that is out. I am intrigued by the horizontal carry, but feel like both they knives I have are a bit big for that location. I have been looking at a bunch of knives, and what I have found is that if it seems to be small enough to carry there it is not big enough for me to get my hand on enought to feel comfortable cutting with.  I have big hands and that might be the issue.  I will continue to look, but for now the Emerson is big enough to get my hand on, carries in a location that is quikly accessible, but out of the way, and stout.

New Post
2/13/2013 2:33 PM

yea nothing is quite as comftrable folding pocket knife with a clip its a trade off that comes down to prefence with the whole pros and cons thing.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHalloran Knives and EDC of a fixed blade over a folderHalloran Knives and EDC of a fixed blade over a folder