Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSlumberjack Satellite Tarp (With HPG Kit Bag Sighting), and Grand Trunk HammockSlumberjack Satellite Tarp (With HPG Kit Bag Sighting), and Grand Trunk Hammock
Previous

Next
New Post
7/2/2017 4:38 PM

I was watching a video review of a Slumberjack Satellite Tarp, which I ordered to go with a Grand Trunk Kryptek Highlander Double Hammock that I just picked up at Cabela's.  Also ordered an enclosed floor hammock mosquito net from Grand Trunk to use with it.  I wanted to try out a second type of hammock during an upcoming jungle trip to Colombia where I will be training some folks for three weeks straight.....a week of ADVON / Site Survey work to set up a jungle camp and navigation course, followed by two weeks on the ground to train about 52 personnel in jungle techniques.  While watching the video this fellow made, I noticed right away he was running an original model Kit Bag....albeit wearing it kind of low at abdomen height, versus the intended chest placement.  At any rate...kind of a nice product placement for HPG and a good review of the tarp.  

I'm pretty stoked about getting this tarp...it looks to be well constructed, has several intelligent features, and comes with some useful accessories....all for a decent price point.  I currently have a tried & true jungle hammock that came with a rainfly & mosquito netting, but decided I wanted to try out a different set-up, and whether it would handle the rigors of real jungle conditions.  I'll reserve my judgement until after the trip, but after having set up the new hammock in the backyard for an initial test, I am pretty impressed with the ease and speed of hanging it.  The bug net I ordered for it will be a must-have for where I am taking it, as will the hammock straps I also ordered....although for my backyard test, 5mm static cordage functioned just fine.  One downside is that the hammock did not come with any kind of hanging system, mosquito netting, or a rainfly.  I bought my hammock in Kryptek Highlander (love that pattern), but it is also available in Kryptek Typhon and Yeti, as well as other colors.  The Grand Trunk website also has other add-on accessories like the mosquito net and straps.  I ordered the 14' ones, which are lighter as well as longer than the standard straps.  Once again....stout cordage (~5-6mm) is plenty good, and the hammock does come with wiregate carabiners.  

So, thought I would post the link to the video, as well as links to where one could purchase this tarp, hammock, and accoutremonts.  Once I get back from Colombia, I'll post a full review of how it worked for me.

Have a great Independence Day!

Ken sends.

Slumberjack Satellite Tarp Video

Slumberjack Satellite Tarp Kryptek Highlander

Grand Trunk Kryptek Double Travel Hammock

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/3/2017 7:43 AM

I don't think the original Hennesy Hammock, with the entry slit at the foot end, can be improved upon for an environment with beaucoup bugs.  You can enter and exit that hammock without allowing a dozen skeeters to tag along.

The finest hammock tarp made is the Macat Deluxe from OES.

New Post
7/3/2017 12:27 PM

A colleague of mine has the Hennessy.  I like my Mosquito Hammock model better....including the fly (Jungle Hammock & Fly).  It all comes down to personal preference and experiences.  The one I have has been through several iterations of use in tough conditions and weather.  I'm just trying this new one out as a viable alternative because of its smaller form factor, which would allow it to be carried in a smaller pack and still work decently at its task.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/4/2017 8:59 AM

I like the look of the tarp...it has some really useful features with the attachment points, bag that doubles as a pocket, the way the sides can be boxed down. I am not convinced the guy lines are a great way ahead, over bungees. A little fiddly, especially in the dark or in inclement weather. The only real advantage over my Integral Design 8 x 10 is the additional attachments points and the pocket and about 5" longer and wider.

New Post
7/4/2017 9:31 AM

Yep, I agree Craig.  Once mine arrives, I will likely just toss away the cordage that comes with it and replace it with MIL Type 1A survival cord or some other small diameter cordage.

New Post
7/7/2017 3:20 PM

I set up the Grand Trunk Hammock & 14er Straps, with a mosquito net and the Slumberjack Satellite Tarp in our Team Load-Out bay area.  I am pretty happy with how easy it was to do so.  I have decided to cange a couple things on the system to make it more user-friendly, but otherwise....this seems to be pretty sqaured away for a smaller form factor and lighter weight hammock & rainfly.  The real test will be when I try it out against my tried & true Mosquito Jungle Hammock & fly.  Here are some photos along with descriptions.

New Post
7/7/2017 3:34 PM

Scot or Evan, please delete my post prior to this one....I have to figure out what kind of nonsense is going on with my Photobucket.  EDIT: Also, since I have now fixed the Photobucket issue, please delete this post, as well.

New Post
7/7/2017 5:03 PM

I set up the Grand Trunk Hammock & 14er Straps, with a mosquito net and the Slumberjack Satellite Tarp in our Team Load-Out bay area.  I am pretty happy with how easy it was to do so.  I have decided to change a couple things on the system to make it more user-friendly, but otherwise....this seems to be pretty squared away for a smaller form factor and lighter weight hammock & rainfly.  The real test will be when I try it out against my tried & true Mosquito Jungle Hammock & fly.  Here are some photos along with descriptions.

The Slumberjack Satellite Tarp pairs with the Grand Trunk Hammock perfectly.  I used a Hammock Bliss Mosquito Net with it.  Grand Trunk makes an add-on mozzy net, but it is quite a bit larger, heavier, and fiddly.  I opted for the more low-profile Hammock Bliss model for weight savings and also quicker set up.

The Grand Trunk Double Size Hammock in Kryptek Highlander hangs very easily and is very roomy.  Plenty of space to include the use of a sleeping pad inside of it.  The Hammock Bliss net drapes perfectly and has sewn-in mesh storage pockets within.  The YKK zipper has dual tabs on both the inside and outside.  I will be adding reflective pull tabs to these.  Extra clothing or footwear that one wants to keep free of bugs can be stored below the hammock and within the net.

One of the things I really like about the Slumberjack Satellite Tarp are the multiple tie-out points.  These offer multiple pitching options.  All tie-out points are reinforced, and everything is seamtaped throughout the tarp.  

The tarp is catenary cut at all four corners and at the ridge seam, as well.  This allows for spacious, full coverage as a hammock rain fly, as well as using it as a traditional tarp shelter.  I will replace the cordage that came with it....too fiddly and does not hold knots very well.  Instead, I will use MIL Type 1A survival cordage (small diameter cordage, ~ 2mm).  I also really like the Grand Trunk 14er straps....very light, very strong, multiple attachment points, and USA made.

I plan to test this hammock, tarp, and mozzy net system against my Mosquito Jungle Hammock during upcoming training I am conducting in Colombia for 3 weeks.  That will be a good test for this smaller and lighter system.  I decided to loose stuff the hammock and mozzy net as a single unit into an HPG 812 Stuff Sack.  It will be much quicker to set it up this way, because everything will already be connected and ready to go.  Also, having it inside of an 812 allows me to use dead space in my pack more effectively.  Once I really test this system in Colombian jungle and rainforest, I'll have more photos and a more complete write-up to post.

Ken sends.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSlumberjack Satellite Tarp (With HPG Kit Bag Sighting), and Grand Trunk HammockSlumberjack Satellite Tarp (With HPG Kit Bag Sighting), and Grand Trunk Hammock