Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralKiltsKilts
Previous

Next
New Post
7/21/2018 5:02 PM

Kilts 

Saw the New In The Field "Three Pass Loop" 

Who makes that Kilt and what model is it?

Does a Kilt cut down on Chaffing and Rashes?

Sure made a light bulb go off in my Head, I look forward to  the responses on this.

Tonight is time for me to Watch "Rob Roy" again

New Post
7/21/2018 6:40 PM

UtiliKilt

https://www.utilikilts.com/

AnthonyP wrote:

Saw the New In The Field "Three Pass Loop" 

Who makes that Kilt and what model is it?

Does a Kilt cut down on Chaffing and Rashes?

Sure made a light bulb go off in my Head, I look forward to  the responses on this.

Tonight is time for me to Watch "Rob Roy" again

New Post
7/23/2018 6:59 AM

Pants are more convenient than a kilt on the trail... right up until it is just flipping hot. Which is the case right now in Colorado. Why not shorts? A kilt is a lot cooler than shorts. I will say the freedom of movement is quite nice regardless. Going from any kind of pants to a kilt feels like the difference between hiking in jeans and hiking in a well tailored pair of softshell pants with some stretch in them. However, I doubt the freedom of movement will keep me wearing a kilt on the trail once it's cooled down enough for pants again. As to the chafing, just kind of depends on how you set everything up. The utilikilt is a VERY nicely constructed and designed garment. The 60/40 nyco fabric sucks on the trail. They have one in lightweight ripstop cotton, but I don't like the design of it. Too gimmicky. I just picked up a 5/11 tactical kilt for hiking. It's not as nicely designed as the utilikilt, but it's a considerably better fabric for hiking in and I like the utility of the pocket setup more.

A word on kilts -- it's always an event to wear one. People tend to respond strongly. Women in particular, respond strongly. I quit wearing my utilikilt a few years ago because I wasn't wanting that kind of attention in my daily life. This hot weather finally broke me down a couple weeks ago and I started wearing it again. On the trail where you're not seeing people it doesn't matter so much. In town, be prepared to be interactive if you're wearing one. For better or for worse.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/9/2018 2:03 PM

Been using a kilt in the summer after bicycle races and on bicycle tours for around camp after the days ride. Extremely comfortable to change into after a summer workout and comfortable for walking around camp. Evan is right, you will get some comments although mostly from women and mostly positive. I am old enough that I am not too concerned about what other people think of my fashion choices.

Also of note would be to enjoy the benefits of the cooling breezes in the kilt you wear it without undergarments. With regards to chafing, that may depend some on the angle of your dangle and your inner thigh clearance (or lack thereof). I have not had a problem with chafing but have not done extended hiking in mine either.

What I have used is a simpler kilt with a more traditional look made by SportKilt. Also more economical, particularly if you are not certain if you will like a kilt. Started with the Original Sport Kilt and happy with it and while not wool the fabric was sometimes a little heavy for summer. A couple years ago I got their Hikers Kilt which is a lighter fabric and much more comfortable in the summer. With the lighter fabric of the Hikers Kilt you have to be a little more conscious of the wind but the sewn in pleats help.

https://sportkilt.com/

New Post
8/10/2018 6:31 AM

Ok after going to utilikilt I want a kilt. Mainly to wear to the office! I just got done reading the FAQ page on their webpage and I have to say I was snickering the whole way through. If you have not, read through that. Just the effort put into that page make me want to support them.
I know whats on my Christmas wish list. A KILT!
Thanks Evan for that video, really awesome. Also thanks Domestique for posting that link.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralKiltsKilts