Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralUSMC 3 season sleep systemUSMC 3 season sleep system
Previous

Next
New Post
10/11/2012 4:46 PM

Anyone have any experience with the new system? Refering to the 20 bag, gortex bivy with the wires, and the sealine stuff sack. Advertised weight of # 4.14 oz. Would like to know if the rating is true and is that the bag itself or with the bivy, bag materials and insulation, and manufacturer. Also general impression and worth the 300 you could get them on ebay for. Might be a nice setup with a serape is what I'm thinking for summer through winter. Alan

New Post
10/12/2012 7:54 AM

I only have experience with the old 3 bag system. But I have friends who are still in and active. If I can get a hold of one of them, I will try to get some user feedback.

New Post
10/15/2012 10:55 AM

Sorry, my buddy said he still had the old bags. He said some grunts had them in Iraq, but thats as close as he got.

New Post
10/15/2012 11:49 AM

I'm thinking about picking one up off craigslist or ebay.

New Post
10/15/2012 1:31 PM

When I left the Corps in 05, they were starting to re think the standard issue equipment for Marines.. Gear was getting lighter and more high speed low drag. When I deployed to OEF in 02-03, we were still issued older equipment. A lot of our gear was Desert Storm era. But when I came back stateside, they started with a whole push for better gear. Digital cami's, poly framed packs, and so on. I have only seen it on line, but it does look to be a nice system. Teamed up with a Serape, like you say, you would have a good all season setup. People like to complain about the weight of military issue gear, but I like the heavy duty aspect of it. Marines are hard on gear, and if they are using it, you know it is tough. I say go for it. But my opinion is of heavy duty first then weight,, I don't like to worry about something being to delicate. Just my opinion.

New Post
11/6/2012 5:49 PM

there not as huge as the older system but they still take up a good protion of your pack and as will all issued dry sacks they suck you get about 6-12 months of use out of them then they pvc/vynil/ what ever they use for water proofing starts breaking away. I presonly have gone away from mummy style bags to a sleeping quilt from jacksrbetter (which is similar in theory to the mountian serape) for general 3 season but they require the use of a slepping mat for best insulation and there good down to the 20's (surival) but i wouldnt go to much below 40. The only time my mummy bag comes with me is snow camping and i only base camp in the snow, but hey i live in a desert currently.

also issued gortex just plain sucks i swear is the worst gortex produced i stopped wareing and using my issued gortex while station in japan even with typhoons rollng through its hot and dosnt breath very wirll and not very water proof/reseint. but thats my experance some people i know swear buy them.

almost forgot the bag it self is soild no big complaints there

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralUSMC 3 season sleep systemUSMC 3 season sleep system